Fire Emblem - the Pen-and-Paper Role-Playing Game

Gone2Ground

*shrugs* Just saying that's probably how I'll look at skills. Mostly since I want each of them to feel unique compared to the other. In FE everything usually works on a simple is best kind of principle, but RP's it's important to feel unique from the other person, in a way that transcends equipment. Even if a Warrior and a Rogue in DnD both use a bow, it's a very different feeling for the two. Same goes for Cleric and Wizard. So I'd like to try and match that, at least how I'll think of Skills. But only important when it comes to actually seeing the skill list I suppose.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back from my weekend break with a revamped Player's Section, now with shiny Leveling Up chapter and updated Character Creation system!

List of changes:

- Level Up chapter included

- You now have 20% to spend to increase your Growth Rates on character creation

- Shaman has his missing skill included

- Classes have their Promotion choices added

Don't recognize the name of some of the promotions? Oh, you will see...*Chuckles*...not really. Sky Ranger's the only one (I think), and that's just Falcoknight that uses a Bow instead of a Sword, with some Skill changes and slightly different Promotion Bonuses.

I do need suggestions for the Tier 3 classes, as I plan on having each Tier 2 class having 2 Tier 3 classes to choose from (There can be overlap, remember). I don't really care if it's just 'Class X with less of Stat Y and more of Stat Z', but I do need suggestions. If you think some classes have weird promotion choices, tell me what you suggest!

Thank you for your continuous support!

- G2G

FERPG Player\'s Section v.05.pdf

Edited by Gone2Ground

Daily Update May 03

- V.06 of the Player's Section complete. New changes include:

* Soldier now starts with the Knowledge: Warefare skill

* Skills chapter started, with Tier One (Level 1-40) skills included. I think I have all of them, but if I missed one, tell me. If I've done something stupid and they're not in alphabetical order, and you notice, tell me and I'll switch it around to the right way.

- Items chapter started

- Item List started

- Magic chapter started

- Combat chapter started

Yep, I've been a busy little bee.

FERPG Player\'s Section v.06.pdf

Edited by Gone2Ground

Mages might want Discipline over Celerity or Shade since they have 3 weapon ranks to look after. I'd say take out Shade since that way Between Monk/Shaman/Mage, two has Shade, Two have Celerity, two have Discipline making the spread more or less even.

Serenity seems odd on Clerics since they won't be trying to hit things before promotion making it a useless skill for most of the time. Plus Serenity seems horribly underpowered. You get -10% Eva for an entire turn AND give up an action for a paltry +10 Hit later. It's much worse than Tempest which is already of questionable worth.

I've been flipping around what Serenity does, but all of it's in the air right now.

I've been making progress on the Combat system, and oh man, is it a doozy. I've got the basics down, and I've been considering pulling a Fantasy Flight Games and releasing an example mission PDF with the basic rules and some premade characters for people interested in trying it before the final version is released - a demo, basically. Anyone interested?

Interesting take on the tier 3 classes. When I did my FE PRG, I based it mostly off FE 4/5 and 9/10. Then I made some extra classes that seemed to fit the tier 3 for ones that didn't exists. Id you want I could tell you the ones I used (though my system was different, we used d10's for everything).

Having run a FE RPG, I'll tell you the problems I ran into.

combat was to crunchy if you let the players level fast (I used the game rules for xp, and you have to watch balance, for if the players don't help the less damaged resistant classes get xp, they can fall behind). I found the physical melee fighters leveled the fastest then the mages, and then the healers/archers. Also, you cannot account for player stupidity..... One of my players lacked any combat sense, and varied between stupid almost kill everyone tactics to ineffective on the battle field (he was playing a FE4 style bard...should have been more effective. The Shaman was fine and was the second player to class change (Wyrven rider was the first) so I know it wasn't the magic mechanics).

knowing how players like to multiclass and the like, I incorporated the weapon xp from FE 9/10 for weapon proficiency..... Worked well for the most part (each class had their own base LV for their standard weapon types, and everyone had E for hand to had), until the players said, 'why can't my so and so use this weapon if they get another party member to train them in it?' type of thing. In most RPG's there is the ability to change classes and gain new skills and the like, so to not have to worry about that, I said that if they could have enough time training, then they could pick up X weapon type at level E (and couldn't ever get it to LV S. I am still debating on what the LV cap should be actually). The only one of my players to do so was the wryven rider (was a Dragon knight at the time), who decided to learn ever weapon she could. When we stopped playing, she had learned every physical weapon, and even picked up dark magic (for a while she just hit people with the book , for she was having trouble finding someone to teach her). If we had continued to play, I think I would have had to make a new tier 3 class, Dragon Master Knight, just for her (similar to Master Knight, except mounted...).

For combat maneuvers and the like, we used a grid system like in the game (made movement rates easy to convert over), and we laminated graph paper to draw the map with dry erase marker. Then used Legos for he figures. worked well, though I did keep running out of enough similar Legos for the NPC army. only problem with this was that the map would roll up if it got damp.

The only rules I didn't make were for monsters, since my game was set in Tellus, though I did make some basic rules for mamukes.

Remember that people will want to play their favorite class, even if it doesn't fit in a normal FE sense (Mamukes nad Laguz in the same world comes to mind), so you have to come up with rules for every class/race in FE, and probably should do the monsters too (I didn't, but my play test/run only lasted one semester).

So keep an eye out for players, they will break everything, even after thorough play testing.

Also, Good luck, it' harder than it sounds.

ah, almost forgot to mention. It's OK to have social help with RPG stuff, but most of it should be left to the player s to act out (role play), not game mechanics. So it s find to give bonuses to character who have 'support' for each other type of thing, but let the players build those relationships, not have some roll X, or earn x points, it would be played out for better RP fun. If you are going to have social helping skills (for people who are bad at it, but their character is good at it), just remember to let the players actions effect things too, and don't rely solely on states for that type of stuff. The point ti to role play, not roll play ^-^.

Edited by Aquantis

I figured other people would have attemtped things like this. I must admit yours seems to be much further along than mine. I've only really got a character creation and combat system going, along with an items list.

I must say this looks pretty interesting so far.

I figured other people would have attemtped things like this. I must admit yours seems to be much further along than mine. I've only really got a character creation and combat system going, along with an items list.

I must say this looks pretty interesting so far.

If you want, I could send you the item/weapons list I have (pulled strait form the games), though it only goes through FE10 (I have almost every item, though I trimmed the weapons a tad). I will have to look for what I did with all the files (I never types all of it up, so I am not sure what I have saved vs handwritten but I know I have the weapon and items typed up). I started working on mine right before FE10 came out, and then it came out and I had to change stuff (like the 3rd tier..I never finished 3rd tier classes). I would have liked to work on it more, but ever since I graduated, it has been hard to find people to play any game, nevertheless play-test one.

I do find it funny that the newest FE game has a similar class to one I made for tier 3 (Sage Knights - sort of like sages that are mounted on Pegasus, though I forget if they got swords or spears).

Edited by Aquantis

Have you checked out the Roleplay section of Serenes yet? Both Lord of Azure Flame and Return of the Emblem are FE-based pen-and-paper RPG's with working stat-systems that have been successful. It would be worth it to check it out for sure, especially since it will allow you to get first-hand feedback from the players as to what works and what doesn't.

Update June 03:

Sorry about the abscence, but Graduation exams/CEGEP placement tests/Convocation prep, you know the drill.

Yay last year of high school. HELLO WORLD!

* Mount section rough completed

* Practice adventure/starter package concept completed

* Combat 50% done

* A playtesting group found in my local area.

* Minor errors with the character sheet and the Mage class found (No, they do NOT have +3 to defense and then a crap RES score, that's the wrong way round). Will fix by next weekend.

Project is BACK ONLINE

I'll miss that +3 Def...

So if it swaps around, if I roll a 1 for Def as a mage, I get 1 -2 -2, a grand total of -3 Def?

No, that would be stupid. All units have a minimum of 1 in each stat. I believe this was stated in the guide, but if it wasn't I'll go fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back, bitches.

- Updated Skill section with some required information

- Included rough copy of Skill Check chapter

- In this very post there is a brief overview of how combat works.

Things left ToDo in the Player's Guide:

- Combat chapter

- Item lists

COMBAT

- You add your weapon's accuracy score to your combined Skill and 1/2 luck (Luck is rounded up)

- To get your 'dodge rating', add your Skill, Speed and 1/2 luck together (Again, luck is rounded up)

- To get your Critical likelyhood, it's 1/2(Skill + Luck) + Weapon's critical bonus (if any)

- To hit someone, subtract their Dodge Rating from your To Hit rating. Roll under this number on a D%. If you roll under your Crit Chance at the same time, the attack is a Critical Hit

DAMAGE

- Damage is (STR/MAG + Weapon Might) - DEF/RES

- Once a target's hit points run out, you roll on the Critical Hit chart. For the amount of damage done past their hit points in their last hit, add that as a modifier to your Crit roll. (EX: A target goes from 10 hp to 0, when the original hit did 11. You roll a D10 on the Crit Chart for your weapon group, with a +1 to the result)

- When you get a Critical Hit, just roll on the chart immediately as well as applying damage as normal.

CRIT CHARTS

Each weapon has its own Crit Chart, which is a description of ways to die/barely avoid death. This feature may be removed if beta testing proves it is too complicated.

EXAMPLE: FIRE MAGIC

Result - Effect

1 - The target is blinded by the flames

5 - The target is now On Fire

10 - The target is reduced to ash instantly. Opponents within 20 meters are now Terrified of you.

FERPG Player\'s Section v.07.pdf

Edited by Gone2Ground

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE INFORMATION

Game is entering 6-week beta testing with a group of friends. We will have six sessions with new characters each time, and will be ironing out the details of the Combat system. The Skills will probably get switched around a lot too.

In fact, everything could change.

At the end of each session, I shall post a list of revisions that the session has caused.

Otherwise, so far I've made some progress on statting the enemies that the GM can use (Mainly a few low-level bandits) and also began working on the Second-tier classes.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...