Limits to Skill/Skill transferring between classes?

SlayeZ

Skills don't have to be equipped, so it makes sense that they would have that excuse. And it's likely that they wouldn't use some of them anyway. Regardless, I think that's a good enough way of handling it, as long as enemies really do have the full skill set expected for their class and level on Lunatic.

I don't know but im hoping they do cause frankly i was dissponted in fe10 how enemy rarely have skills and only bosses

The only things the bosses really had were mastery skills, and you definitely wouldn't want the normal enemies to have the mastery skills. They are strong enough that if it activated, the majority of your units would die in a single hit.

But they definitely could have spread around Vantage/Adept/Wrath/Resolve more.

The only things the bosses really had were mastery skills, and you definitely wouldn't want the normal enemies to have the mastery skills. They are strong enough that if it activated, the majority of your units would die in a single hit.

But they definitely could have spread around Vantage/Adept/Wrath/Resolve more.

And this is why mastery skills are boring. They either do nothing or they instant-kill. Skills are good when they give you a good reason to do something you wouldn't otherwise do. Skills with a low likelihood of activating tend to be ineffective at doing that - and that goes to an extent for the others you mentioned, as well. FE9 versions of Vantage, Wrath, and Resolve would have worked better if they had kept them, but they didn't. Overall, FE10's lack of enemies with skills was just a symptom of its larger problem of having a terrible skill system.

Now, some of FE13's skills like Vengeance, Swordslayer, Pass - those are another story. Those skills can easily impact your strategies whether you're using the skills yourself or facing enemies with them. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for all the skills, but at least it applies for a substantial number of them.

Out of curiosity are there any character specific skills or is it just ones obtained my leveling up in a class?

All skills seem to be associated with classes, but characters can have skills they didn't get from their classes. Many DLC characters have extra skills this way: Jamka has Lightning Speed as an Archer, and Ardan has Vantage as a Knight. Children characters also seem to be able to start with one or two extra skills based on their parents. I don't know if any of the standard "Gen 1" characters have extra skills in that way, though.

FE9 versions of Vantage, Wrath, and Resolve would have worked better if they had kept them, but they didn't.

Vantage was good in FE10 even with an activation rate. On a Trueblade having it activate 100% of the time means they kill something before the enemy gets a movement roughly 50% of the time.

FE9's Resolve was in every way stronger than FE10's, which itself was great. Is having 1.5x Skill activation chance not good enough for you? You need 1.5x STR as well?

Wrath was better in FE10, I think? (Since it was a flat +50, while I think FE9 was +50%, correct me if I'm wrong) FE9s would be nearly useless on a decent amount of classes, but be much more "strategic" in that it would dictate smart use of killing weapons.

Mastery skills were indeed boring. It didn't matter what they did, Triple STR, or Triple Damage, or negate DEF, or whatever. They were all basically OHKO kills. (Aside from Bane.)

Vantage was good in FE10 even with an activation rate. On a Trueblade having it activate 100% of the time means they kill something before the enemy gets a movement roughly 50% of the time.

FE9's Resolve was in every way stronger than FE10's, which itself was great. Is having 1.5x Skill activation chance not good enough for you? You need 1.5x STR as well?

Wrath was better in FE10, I think? (Since it was a flat +50, while I think FE9 was +50%, correct me if I'm wrong) FE9s would be nearly useless on a decent amount of classes, but be much more "strategic" in that it would dictate smart use of killing weapons.

Mastery skills were indeed boring. It didn't matter what they did, Triple STR, or Triple Damage, or negate DEF, or whatever. They were all basically OHKO kills. (Aside from Bane.)

I'm talking about on enemies. I don't think enemies are going to be doing much instant killing or skill activating. And no, 1.5x skill activation isn't that interesting no matter what.

FE9 Wrath added 50 points to the percentage chance, not 50% of the previous chance. FE10's was just too difficult to activate, requiring 30% HP instead of 50%.

If it's that easy for Trueblades to kill enemies in one hit, then make stronger enemies. Skills should be something to rely on, not something to overkill with.

Edited by Othin

Both were +50, Zeph.

Not seeing a difference between them, then.

(Serenes lists one as +50 and the other as +50%, so I assumed there was a difference.)

Edit:

@Othin, oh I see what you mean now. About enemies occasionally on enemies, however, I only remember a few instances in FE9 HM where there were actually skills.

As for FE10's being difficult to activate, oh oops, For some reason I thought it was 50% as well. My bad, you're right there.

Edit2: Oi, don't post so fast!!! vvv

Edit: Re: Resolve, thing is, it was strong enough as it was. Having 1.5x STR doesn't exactly make it any more interesting either.

Edited by ZephyrShakuraus

Not seeing a difference between them, then.

(Serenes lists one as +50 and the other as +50%, so I assumed there was a difference.)

FE10's version requires going down to 30% HP instead of 50%.

And this is why mastery skills are boring. They either do nothing or they instant-kill. Skills are good when they give you a good reason to do something you wouldn't otherwise do. Skills with a low likelihood of activating tend to be ineffective at doing that - and that goes to an extent for the others you mentioned, as well. FE9 versions of Vantage, Wrath, and Resolve would have worked better if they had kept them, but they didn't. Overall, FE10's lack of enemies with skills was just a symptom of its larger problem of having a terrible skill system.

Now, some of FE13's skills like Vengeance, Swordslayer, Pass - those are another story.

Pass was originally an FE10 skill. Vengeance is just a weaker version of Wrath. So I don't really understance your point.

Pass was originally an FE10 skill. Vengeance is just a weaker version of Wrath. So I don't really understance your point.

Pass was not, however, used by enemies. But you're right, not the best example.

Vengeance is completely separate from Wrath. Although FE13's actual Wrath skill really is just pitiful.

Do we have any confirmation of personal skills aside from Spotpass characters? (Jamka has Lightning Speed, an otherwise female-only skill, and Ardan has Vantage, etc)

Also, assuming Snipers get a Bow Expert skill, it looks like Trickster's level 15 skill is the only possibility for Adept?

I know Adept wasn't a very interesting skill, but not having it somehow feels wrong.

Pass was not, however, used by enemies. But you're right, not the best example.

With the absurdly frail healers in FE10, I wouldn't have wanted enemies to use Pass. Imagine trying to protect a duder like Micaiah, Sanaki, or a heron!

Vengeance is completely separate from Wrath. Although FE13's actual Wrath skill really is just pitiful.

I think I got them mixed up.

I would imagine Wrath will be buffed in the localisation: it was in the localisations for 9 and 10, where they were silly weak initially (they had a % chance of activating instead of 100%).

Do we have any confirmation of personal skills aside from Spotpass characters? (Jamka has Lightning Speed, an otherwise female-only skill, and Ardan has Vantage, etc)

Also, assuming Snipers get a Bow Expert skill, it looks like Trickster's level 15 skill is the only possibility for Adept?

I know Adept wasn't a very interesting skill, but not having it somehow feels wrong.

Children characters can inherit skills. It looks like they can get up to one per parent, but I'm not sure how it's determined. No indication of personal skills for regular Gen 1 characters, however.

Great Knights learn Luna at 5, Great Lords learn Aether at 5, Heroes learn Sol at 5, Swordmasters learn Astra at 5, Assassins learn Lethality at 5. If Adept was going to be included, it would've been added at LV5; there don't seem to be any % activation skills at LV15.

And with Tricksters having the apparently terrible Lucky 7 as their LV5 skill, they'd better have something really fantastic for their LV15 skill.

With the absurdly frail healers in FE10, I wouldn't have wanted enemies to use Pass. Imagine trying to protect a duder like Micaiah, Sanaki, or a heron!

I think I got them mixed up.

I would imagine Wrath will be buffed in the localisation: it was in the localisations for 9 and 10, where they were silly weak initially (they had a % chance of activating instead of 100%).

Not all of them, but a couple of special enemies would have presented an interesting challenge to deal with. As you observed, they would present a substantial obstacle that would require strategy to deal with and could not be simply ignored.

Source on FE9/10 Wrath? That's hard to believe.

Edited by Othin

And with Tricksters having the apparently terrible Lucky 7 as their LV5 skill, they'd better have something really fantastic for their LV15 skill.

I think Vincent has a mistranslation up on the site. From what I read it looked like Lucky 7 was +20 Hit/Avoid UNTIL level 7, not only on level 7. To be fair, that's rather lackluster for a Tier 2 Level 5 skill, considering most of those Hit/Avoid boosters are Tier 1 skills.

Source on FE9/10 Wrath? That's hard to believe.

Resolve was like this too - it's why Resolve activates during battle instead of being mostly passive like in FE9. I think Wrath was unchanged from JP FE9 to US FE9, though; it's just FE10 where it was terribad in the JP version.

Edited by dondon151