Othin Plays FE13!

Othin

I believe you were talking a few weeks ago about Sariya and Henry not being as good as MU when it comes to Nosferatanking, but do you think they'd be better Doubled than a MU/Krom double?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, despite my characters' high stats, on their own, none of them have an Avoid stat above 90 or so. Could get some chance of dodging with the right setups, and of course the chance of a Dual Guard which is always fun, but these enemies are meant to hit, and you have to plan as if they'll hit whenever they can. Which, as you noted, is really exciting and amazingly satisfying when it works.

I believe you were talking a few weeks ago about Sariya and Henry not being as good as MU when it comes to Nosferatanking, but do you think they'd be better Doubled than a MU/Krom double?

Nah. Doubling the two of them wouldn't add anything in particular in comparison to MU/Krom.

MU's best combat advantage is probably War Experience. It's obviously inferior to Paragon, but Paragon doesn't have a whole lot of presence in this game - not in the story mode, anyway, when not grinding. The thing is, Double is so great and so important that it's pretty much always in effect, so War Experience is pretty much half a Paragon. And half a Paragon is still a hell of a great bonus in terms of advancing and staying ahead of the rest of the team with no Exp-boosting skills at all.

Ch25's reinforcements were trouble as usual; I decided to go for a fast win and try to kill Inverse on Turn 5 before the worst of the enemies showed up. Seems with Rexcalibur, Quick Slash, +4 Mag from Magic Cry and +5 Spd from Double or Speed Cry, Dion can double and 2HKO Inverse without Magnificent Flame. I wasn't quite able to reach that point, though, because Dion ended up trying to tank four enemies on Turn 4, which was one more than he could handle. (Plus a Sorcerer, but no one cared about that.) I'm going to have to rethink things to get this to work.

Paris is released, as I'm sure we all know, and he looks awesome. Seems his map is meant to be an ultimate battle: 50 enemies far stronger than the ones in the Final, led by Paris himself. The player team gets a ridiculous 30 characters to use.

Speaking of skills, I noticed some more interesting discoveries. On the NM map, enemies just seem to occasionally have a random skill and usually nothing, but on HM, they have more consistency.

-Sages always have Magic +2 and Magic Expert

-Generals always have Defense +2 and Defense Cry

-Warriors always have Max HP +5 and Fiery Heart

-Heroes always have Late Initiative and Axe Slayer

-Swordmasters always have Avoid +10 and Sword Expert

-Snipers always have Early Initiative and Bow Expert

They sometimes have a third skill, but always those two as a base. I don't have more HM maps remaining to look at right now, and I suspect they'd be meant to be less powerful, but I'll see what comparisons I can make when I beat Ch25 and can reach this map on Lunatic.

Paris himself, as someone noted in the other thread, has Sword/Lance/Axe Slayer as well as Sol and Luna regardless of difficulty. His stats are also crazy; he has nearly everything capped as low as HM, and the HM Swordmasters on his map have capped Str/Skl/Spd. No other capped stats aside from HP for the Warriors and Generals, though, so it's odd that they get three...

And shit, now I'm going to have a hard time choosing whether to pair my next female MU with Basilio, Gangrel, Valhart, and Paris. I was going to go with Gangrel, but now I'm not so sure...

From what you said, it does sound like Paris was meant to be the ultimate map.

However, being allowed to use 30 troops? That's quite...a lot. I suppose it will help sense you can essentially double them all up and move around in pairs to help everyone survive the onslaught. I suppose you go with your most powerful units then?

Something like that. I'm just going with my best 10 for NM. Don't feel like having anyone else try to deal with these enemies.

Did I say the NM enemies don't have set skills? Scratch that; they all have something set from their base class, like Defense +2 for Generals, but just one skill. Usually the LV1 one, except for Snipers. Some occasionally have another skill added.

It occurs to me that I'm not sure about Paris's recruitment condition. I assume it's just completing the chapter, defeating him in the process, but I want to make sure...

From what you said, it does sound like Paris was meant to be the ultimate map.

However, being allowed to use 30 troops? That's quite...a lot. I suppose it will help sense you can essentially double them all up and move around in pairs to help everyone survive the onslaught. I suppose you go with your most powerful units then?

30 troops?! Wow, that breaks the record for most units you can deploy at once by a long shot.

Just beat Paris and his army senseless. He kinda did challenge Krom to a battle from what I skimmed (and it seemed that Krom was more than happy to accept...).

Was simple victory enough for him to join?

Othin what are Eliwood's stats, class, etc?

Eliwood

Paladin

LV20

HP 66

Str 35+5

Mag 12

Skl 36

Spd 36

Luck 32

Def 33

Res 20

Move 8

Sword A, Lance B

Brave Sword, Eliwood's Steelsword

Discipline, Outdoor Battle, Defender, Holy Shield, Sword Expert

Say, is Paris's map the same as any past FE maps?

I didn't notice similarities, but then most of the similarities are with FE2 maps, and this is another Varm chapter. I haven't played FE2, so I can't tell from that. As someone noted, the player phase music is from FE9, although the enemy phase music is some FE13 standard.

Revisiting the map with a skirmish, it only allowed 15 player characters and the enemies were nothing special. Where's the fun in that?

Revisiting the map with a skirmish, it only allowed 15 player characters and the enemies were nothing special. Where's the fun in that?

What a letdown. This chapter and Inverse's are among the most special stages in the game. And I'd really like to see an FE game with replayable chapters (not just maps).

Hey, I just realized something about the SpotPass weapons, now that we have Ragnell.

For the first five weeks, we had a sword-lance-axe-bow-tome pattern: Tyrfing, Luna, Vengeance, Astra, Thorhammer. Didn't matter that they weren't all from the same game; it was what was missing.

Now to fill in the next set of five weeks, we seem to be starting another of the same pattern: Mistoltin, Gaebolg, Armads, Nidhogg, Holsety. This may help explain why they chose the precise weapons they did.

But wait. That's ten weapons, when the weapons alternate with the twelve SpotPass teams. Well, there's one thing missing that we know we can get: Holy Tome Naga, which should show up as the eleventh. Then for a twelfth weapon... well, there's nothing else missing that showed up in IDW, but you don't need infinite copies of a weapon with infinite uses. And especially with this making it make sense for Holy Tome Naga to be the 11th weapon, we should see Dark Tome Gimle as the 12th weapon, right in the middle of the Villain SpotPass team.

So my prediction is that the remaining SpotPass weapons will be, in order:

Gaebolg

Armads

Nidhogg

Holsety

Holy Tome Naga

Dark Tome Gimle

What a letdown. This chapter and Inverse's are among the most special stages in the game. And I'd really like to see an FE game with replayable chapters (not just maps).

FE2 has that, I think.

Pretty sure you can't replay chapters in FE2. It just had skirmishes like FE8 (albeit, the enemies moved towards you on the map)

Unless... you mean something else?

Huh, like TRS.

And no, I have no idea what I mean. As I said, I haven't played FE2; I just read that somewhere.

So is Paris the offensive godsend you've needed for Lunatic? Does he get a Lunatic mode bonus?

His chapter is harder than the final. As awesome as he is, he has no possibility of being useful ingame.

Besides, you need to unlock the final to play any of those maps, and I'm still one chapter away. And I'm not worried about the final.

Edited by Othin

Pretty sure you can't replay chapters in FE2. It just had skirmishes like FE8 (albeit, the enemies moved towards you on the map)

Unless... you mean something else?

There are also fixed locations on the map (graveyards and shrines) where enemies always appear .

Edited by The_Purple_Knight

Made it through Ch25. After working out the last few kinks, my 5-turn strategy worked perfectly. The Final awaits!

This also means unlocking all those SpotPass sidequests to get a look at the Lunatic versions. S18, as usual, looks like a fun diversion easier than the other chapters around this point. S19 and S20, as usual, look like hell, probably more difficult than the Final. S19 looks particularly terrifying now: Valhart noticed that Gimle had capped every stat for his Lunatic appearance and decided to do the same in his final showdown. He also decided to pick up Luna in place of Early Initiative, giving him a third skill to abuse with his 50% Royal Weapon activation rate, next to the two Shield skills. At least it's not an 80% Divine Weapon activation rate like Gimle, eh? Yeah, I'm still not sure how I'm going to survive him.

S21 actually has generic enemies capping stats other than HP, and often. Even a map as simple and boring as that one will likely be quite a challenge on this difficulty level. S22 is, of course, the Fountain of Truth. Not much to say about the enemies except I think Inverse is capping even more stats. Oh, and those same hacked weapons the enemies have all been using since Ch21 show up here in the hands of the clone enemies, so it's a mirror match where the enemies use weapons better than ones that can possibly exist. Joy.

S23 is still the ultimate battle. The huge army of generic enemies all cap 4-6 stats and come close to the cap in anything else important, and Paris caps 7 stats, just missing out on Mag, which he has no use for. Here, having your characters capped seems to no longer be a cheap way out but instead a requirement to survive. Lunatic Paris is a prize that won't be won by feeble efforts.

So we've got the final ultimate Dual Tag, the final ultimate SpotPass, and we should be less than an hour away from the announcement of the final ultimate DLC. Let's see if it lives up to the same insane standards!

There are also fixed locations on the map (graveyards and shrines) where enemies always appear .

Hmm, TRS also did something like that.