Return of the Emblem Chapter Nine: Consolidating Forces

Phoenix

Synthia nodded to Gytha's breakfast comments. She hoped it'd be ready soon. There were things she needed to do today. Anyway, as to how she slept.. “As well as to be expected, I guess... I don't really like ships. The beds are too small and the motion makes me sick. I slept like a log last night though,” she replied, tracing squigglies on the table.

The mage stopped herself a moment later, however, as if she remembered something. Oh yes, pick the one person who was happy to be on this godforsaken vessel to complain to about boats. How considerate. “...Sorry. How was your night?”

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Man Called Gar

"Always someone better." Gar commented as he turned back to face Robin. "Me? Well even if you focused you wouldn't have caught much. Of the 40+ cultists at the manse, eleven of them fell to my knife. I think that's all that needs to be said on that part." Gar looked away again, still not seeing Lia and cleric-girl. "Guess that also says how easy it his for me to kill a human, ha."

"Killing a human... In cold blood... Is something I can not do unfortunately. It is simply... I look at them and I see friends whom I do not know morning the loss of someone they cared for, children wondering were daddy or mommy is, lovers shattered. It is too hard for me to kill in cold blood. I can wound, disable, cripple, and make someone wish that they were dead, but kill... I do not think I can easily do that."

A Man Called Gar

"Cold blood? Well that's certainly not what was going on last night." Gar stated. "That was a fight on even ground, not some stab in a man's sleep. They may be all those things you said, but Raquel, and you, and probably everyone else in this little group operates under the same set of connections you're talking about. So it comes down to, who do you care about more? Those beside you, or those against you? You feel too guilty about hurting them when they have none about hurting you things just get worse." Gar crossed his arms, as his relatively bland tone covered what should have been heated words in any other mouth. "Aye, aye, aye, looking at me preaching like a church-man." Gar sighed with a smile. "So," his tone was slightly more serious, "have you killed?"

Robin stopped for a moment as he asked the question. Had she killed before? There was only one answer she could give, but she didn't like to think about it. "Yes, I have killed." she said as she hung her head in shame. "When I first left my hometown and was captured by Ursium I was forced to fight in a battle. It was after that battle that I took my vows to never kill. Even then, I have failed those vows. I took the lives of soldiers in sleep-induced raids and, last night, I killed one soldier who had been so horribly wounded that no staff could have recovered him. I have killed, and I have not enjoyed it. Human beings are no animals. I have been trained to hunt animals, so I feel no horror in killing them, but man... I am not a killer. Not like that."

A Man Called Gar

"Oh? Interesting," Gar commented. "They say that it's the lead-up, the anticipation, of the first kill that's the hardest. That it gets easier with each person that dies. That by the time you reach the double digits you don't know their name, age, hair color, maybe not even their sex." Gar had a slight smile on his lips as he spoke. "Well that's what I've heard anyway. Dunno if it's actually true," he shrugged. "And hey, if it's any consolation, I have a far bigger body count than you'll ever have and I turned out fine. Quirky. But fine."

Dauntless

"Umm, maybe you shouldn't be touching the guns," Connor advised to the unfamiliar girl. "I don't think Raquel likes people perusing the merchandise unless they're planning to buy and I wouldn't suggest picking up a gun unless you know how to use it." The pistols aren't loaded so it shouldn't be dangerous at least.

Infirmary

Veronika resisted the urge to roll her eyes as the armored man made his appeal. Why do we attract such strange people? "How could I be the reason for you wanting to join if you didn't even meet me before coming onto the ship? Unless you've been stalking me or something," she said, raising an eyebrow at Fred.

Valter then finally spoke up, dropping a curious detail about that guy. <A debt huh,> John thought. <Though then here he is wanting to get a job. I wonder if Tali knew, leaving him here after she left. On the other hand, after last night, if this guy really helped them out then he might've been able to weasel his way out as payment. Well, there is always asking Faatina for confirmation.>

And then it seems he wasn't getting on the right foot with Veronika. <Well, can't help him there, heh.>

-----

And now Connor was telling her to leave the gun. The girl's curiosity might not prove strong enough, but perhaps she could help out? Maybe Raquel is still asleep, Sophia thought. but I guess it can't be helped. ''Um, you can look at it later,'' She said. ''We can still look about getting you new clothes if you want.''

Oh right, I think I saw 'er o'er th' side b'fore on the Al-Lyrae. She must get sea sickness. Gytha felt a bit sorry for Synthia, but the magic-user was the one to apologize for some reason. "I'm glad ye slept well in th' end," Gytha replied before answering, "I slept well once I tried sleepin'. Took a bit o' wearin' down b'fore I was tired enough t' sleep, though."

"It has been the inverse for me. I did not think one bit about my first kill and it has become harder. The first time, they were just people, a mass of bodies I shot at, that my arrows would impale, but just people. The second time it was rage followed by guilt and now... Now I have to swallow and think before I kill. I defended our prisoner when we had one because I could not kill her in cold blood and to stand by was to be the same as holding the gun, and I was shot for it. Things seem to get worse for me. I wish I was more cold-blooded, but I do not think killing is my calling."

Lisandra gave the younger boy an odd look as he appeared to be addressing her. Something something guns, he must be referring to the pistol?

Not quite sure how to respond to a question she couldn't parse, she simply tilted her head curiously.

It seems Faatina had begun to stir, if only slightly, mumbling in her sleep something about 'brother'.

A Man Called Gar

"I suppose that's the tale of a person growing up," Gar mused. "Innocence, understanding, guilt." Gar closed his eyes for the next word, and only it. "Acceptance. Being cold-blooded doesn't make the killer. It just helps. And hey, if the burden of killing just gets to be too much for you, pass it off to someone else. Hell, make it me since I'm offering." Gar crossed his arms. "Though what's with that whole getting shot thing? I mean, the burden of the kill is on the y'know, killer, and you shouldn't be feeling guilty about that if you got shot by not standing by or whatever?" Gun-lass was the only one Gar had seen with any sort of firearm. Was she that... destructive?

A kid raced down the port docks at high speed. Screw the guards standing around, he had an important message to deliver! Unfortunately, in his haste he accidentally passed his destination and had to double back. Torin ran up the ramp to the Leverager. He peered in past the rail to see if anyone on deck he recognized from yesterday. Um, there was the white haired dude. He was scary, so Torin counted him right out. The kid might end up just sneaking below deck...

-----

“I was exhausted,” Synthia said. “I don't want to go through anything like last night ever again.” She almost died, her friends almost died, a lot of people almost died. It was certainly not something to be repeated. “Anyway, after breakfast and a trip to the infirmary I was going to go into town.” Hmm, was that an invitation? It sounded like an invitation.

"Ah, that so?" Gytha asked in reply, "Sounds like fun. Mind if I come along?" Better to make sure on these things. The mariner had been wanting to explore the port some herself, after all, and now seemed to be the perfect time, especially since she'd be exploring with a friend. Thinking about it made the seafarer smile a little wider.

“No, you can come,” Synthia replied, returning a much smaller version of Gytha's smile. Let's see, what did she need... Clothing, ginger root, possibly armor? She didn't like getting stabbed, after all. Perhaps it would be best to make a list. The mage turned to one of the many empty pages in her tome, took a pencil from her bag, and started writing things down. “Hmm... Was there anything you needed in town? I should probably ask Valter too, if he's up...”

OOC: Could use a Fred response Snowy

Dauntless

The girl didn't seem to get his request, so Connor tried again in simpler language. "Put gun down?" he attempted, feeling a bit awkward. Maybe she's not well educated or something...

"Hmm," Gytha hummed, thinking it over. Was there anything she needed? Now that she thought about it... "Aye, I could use some medical supplies fer Maw. Almost out o' bandages n' it'd be good t' pick up another balm. Not sure how many animal doctors they have around here, but we can look fer one. I'm not runnin' low on rounds n' me sword supplies're fine, too. Anathin' else'd just be explorin'." The last part was said cheerily. It was likely what she was looking forward to the most.

Sophia just looked on at this curious unfolding of events. It's just like watching a toddler. She really got to experience very few things while captive. She noted, smiling a little. It's so adorable, now if only it were another thing she's holding instead of a gun... If only indeed.

"Alas, you have caught me in my own trap of words. I had hoped you would be nicer to me and more willing to accept me while, at the same time, smiling at either a compliment or chucking at it's transparency, but I have failed in that regard. Never the less, I am in need of shelter and I am more than willing to offer my services in what fields I can to aid you."

---

"In my eyes, to stand by when you could save another, even if it is as simple as a word, is the same as murder. A crime of apathy that stains the hand as well. As for the story... Ummm... I am not sure I should talk too much about it." she said before sighing. "I should not have mentioned it in the first place though? Is this hatchet really so hard to bury? A while back we came across and defeated an Urswine... Ursium guard patrol and took their leader captive. She was defeated and at our mercy and Gytha decided to kill her. I refused to stand down and took a stance between her and the guard only for her to shoot past me and hit the guard. In rage and disgust for a world that could produce a person who would do such a thing I took those arrows I had not made myself like so..." she plucked several arrows from her quiver. "And threw them like this." she tossed them to the ground at his feet, watching as they clattered harmlessly upon the deck and came to a rest. "Before turning about in rage and storming off. She saw this as fit reason to shoot me in the leg. She was not punished until recently when she was told to not shoot team members again."

Veronika

"I'm more willing to accept those who are honest," she said to Fred sternly before hearing Valter from a nearby cot. "A debt hmm? Well we are able to pay for mercenary work, but hopefully this debt is relatively benign. We have enough problems without taking criminals aboard."

A Man Called Gar

"Well, we all make our own morality in life and I've said my peace on that subject," Gar shrugged. Gar took something resembling a time to think as he pondered how Gyntha/probably gun-lass and gone and shot Robin-bow for the remarkably trivial reason of tossing arrows nearby. Not only was that a considerably stupid thing to do to someone that was supposed to be your ally, granted she could just be a self-serving bastard like Gar and bail out if things got too hairy--but that required an actual tense situation, not the not-that-bloody aftermath of a battle where they got prisoners.

Gar scratched the back of his head. "Have you tried actually punishing her yourself? If there's so little care about not-hurting teammates then they really can't complain if you get adequately-justified and reasonably-inflicted revenge right?" Gar kinda inferred that this had happened a while ago from Robin's words, so the lead didn't seem to care that much. And hey, Raquel was probably still out cold so she couldn't do anything now anyway.

Infimary

Reign just listened at first, hoping to get a sense of how the group members interacted with each other. The man in the heavier armor didn't seem to be a part of the group ... yet, and was making a lousy attempt at joining. He didn't seem like one of the majority Veronika had mentioned. Money could certainly help his situation, but he wasn't asking for it in exchange for work. Did he have any idea what he was getting into? Reign stifled a small laugh when thinking of himself in this situation. I've been thinking about it all night, and I still can't reach a decision. Veronika then pointed out that it wouldn't be in their best interest to go around aiding criminals, which prompted a nod from Reign. Having me along probably doesn't seem like aiding a criminal, but the Ursians will definitely see it that way.

Galley

Shadrak continued to sit by at the table and waited on breakfast while looking through his notes. "What's all that?" asked one of the sailors. Shadrak suddenly realized he was surrounded. Two sailors had taken seats to either side of him, and the others across the table. Even more men were coming into the galley as well, and so Gytha and Synthia's table would inevitably be overrun as well.

"They're my notes I keep." Shadrak replied simply, hoping his obvious disinterest in them would keep them at bay. That didn't work. They needed something to do while breakfast was made, so the two next to him continued to pester.

"Notes on what?"

"None of your business." he shot back.

"Betcha it's got'ta do with love spells~" another sailor teased. "You dark types are int'a mind magic, right? So who're ya gonna use it on?"

"It's got nothing to do with that, you obnoxious sea brigand! Somebody in our group has got to try to figure out what's going on around here, so I keep these notes. There's also some research material in here so-SO DON'T TOUCH!" he replied, quickly amending his request when he saw one of the sailors take his tome and open it. "Hey!"

"I can never read these. What are they written in, Ursian?" said the sailor who was thumbing through the el tome.

"Give that back! Aren't there rules about stealing on this ship or something?!" He was immediately pulled in as one of the sailors put his arm over the young shaman's shoulder. "Urgh ..."

"We're not 'stealin'', we just wanna get to know you people. Last time you were here was all business~" the sailor explained. While he tricked Shadrak into thinking that maybe this play thievery was okay, the other man beside him took the notes and began flipping through them looking for love spells.

"Emblem this, emblem that, Lilith's hair, Siv's eyes, theory of subtlety, lies, crazy people ... Where're the mind spells, Shadrak?"

"GIVE ME THAT!!!"

Dauntless

"Huh, I wonder if she knows how to use that ..." Gabbie commented. Kinda hard to care what these people do most of the time, as long as they're not in my business ... "Hmm, that thing isn't loaded, is it?" she asked Connor.

"Punish her myself? What am I supposed to do? The woman carries a gun around on her body and has shown she is willing to use it. Should I just walk up to her, look at her with begging eyes, and ask her to bend over my knee to spank her and pray she does not opt to shoot me back? Barge in on a woman who could break my arm with ease and drinks enough to not even care that she has broken my arm? The only thing I could do is shoot her back and pray she misses in her return volley and I will not stoop to the level of attacking a teammate no matter what."

---

"Criminal is such a harsh word to use my dear lady. I am not some felon who breaks into peoples houses and steals their precious possessions, some thug who holds people up at knifepoint, or some murder who acts brashly. I am merely a man swooned by the game of chance who... has yet to read the manual of the game of chance it seems. I incurred a debt of more than I had, was forced to serve as a servant for my debt, and was freed from it thanks to my stalwart nature."

A Man Called Gar

"You certainly thought that through pretty fast," Gar chuckled. "Well, you could do what some noble does and demand satisfaction in a duel. Just make a term of the duel a ban the use of her pistol on the grounds of 'cost-efficiency' or 'danger' or somesuch. And well if that doesn't suit your fancy then I'm all out of ideas." Gar shrugged. He was probably being way too invested in this, but hey it might be worth something if it did happen.

Veronika

"So you lost at gambling but then got rid of your debt?" Why didn't he just say that in the first place? Ah well, beggars can't be choosers... "That works well enough for me, welcome to the team uh...what was your name again?" she asked Fred.

Connor

"Raquel doesn't keep any of her weapons inside of the Dauntless loaded. Probably a good idea, they'd be a safety hazard otherwise," he replied to Gabbie. "I guess she can hold onto it if she wants, but people shouldn't be taking merchandise out of the wagon without paying."

Edited by -Cynthia-