Awakening shifts 240K copies

VincentASM

That's terrible logic. All that means is that the RPG fans are going to stay away from the 3DS.

It's great logic, actually, if you look at how games released for RPG-starved systems have fared in the past. Remember Golden Sun? The GBA had no new RPG IPs at that point, at once GS was released, it sold like crazy and was highly critically acclaimed despite being terribly mediocre.

It's great logic, actually, if you look at how games released for RPG-starved systems have fared in the past. Remember Golden Sun? The GBA had no new RPG IPs at that point, at once GS was released, it sold like crazy and was highly critically acclaimed despite being terribly mediocre.

emot-hfive.gif

GS was awesome.

It's great logic, actually, if you look at how games released for RPG-starved systems have fared in the past.

It's terrible logic if you have a brain. The perfect example is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 on the Wii. The sales for the PS3 and XBox versions eclipse it, with the XBox 360 version doing slightly better than the PS3 version. Yet, by your logic, because the Wii has a dearth of FPS games, it should have sold like hotcakes (especially since the Wii has a far greater install base), and the PS3 version should have also done better than the XBox 360 version since the XBox 360 has more popular shooters (GoW, Halo).

Video games do not "compete" with each other since generally, they're cheap enough that if you want one enough you can buy it. Rather, video games help one another by sparking interest. The original Mario games did not drive other video games out of business. Rather, it spawned clones and spin-offs and expanded the market. And in fact the same applies for all entertainment. Harry Potter and Twilight do not "compete" with other literature, rather, they create new readers. The Lord of the Rings does not compete with other fantasy books; it makes people fall in love with fantasy books and go out and buy more.

I can only assume Golden Sun was some kind of horrible anomaly.

If Awakening sells extremely well outside of Japan it could possibly lead to FE12 being localized as well.

Nippon Ichi did this with Disgaea and LaPucelle Tactics. LaPucelle Tactics came out in Japan in 2002, but it wasnt released in America until 2004, after Disgaea had become popular.

Im hoping something like that will happen for FE12.

There is no reason to celebrate for a game with high-profile budget and marketing until it outsells a Super Nintendo game from 18 years ago.

There really isn't.

That's a somewhat silly way to view things. Plenty of Nintendo titles never beat their SNES counterparts in sales in Japan. Even Mario Kart Wii, the third best selling game of all time, isn't managing to sell better than its SNES counterpart in Japan, although it is close.

The same holds true for Zelda, Donkey Kong and Metroid, none of which are doing as well in Japan as they did in their SNES hey-day. If you go to other developers, nor is Street Fighter or Final Fantasy.

Awakening saw a far higher opening than the series has in over a decade and a half. That certainly is something to be happy about.

The same holds true for Zelda, Donkey Kong and Metroid, none of which are doing as well in Japan as they did in their SNES hey-day. If you go to other developers, nor is Street Fighter or Final Fantasy.

I dunno anything about Zelda (I always thought OoT was the best selling Zelda game and FF7 was the best selling FF game and the original Donkey Kong was the best selling DK game), but Metroid has balls awful sales in Japan. Fucking terrible example.

Edited by Refa

Plenty of Nintendo titles never beat their SNES counterparts in sales in Japan. Even Mario Kart Wii, the third best selling game of all time, isn't managing to sell better than its SNES counterpart in Japan, although it is close.

I find it hard to believe that a game with 35 million worldwide sales is in any way being beaten by a game with 8 million sales, even just in Japan. Especially with nearly twice as many Wii units sold.

But I can't find a very recent MK Wii Japanese sale (2.1m or so from 2009) I can't find a Japan-only record of Super Mario Kart's sales either. I'm not going to say you're wrong, I just find it hard to believe, but if I can see where you get this information, I'd be quite happy. (To see other stuff too, actually.)

By the same logic, FE7's release, which kick-started the Western FE fanbase, should have guaranteed FE6's release.

That's horrible logic. It should have guaranteed the release of FE8/FE9 which it did. As much as I wanted FE6 to be released it would be very strange for them to translate and release an older game.

Also the Rpg-less system thing helped a lot in boosting sales of Tales of Symphonia for the gamecube, it wasn't a one time thing. Not to mention Fire Emblem is already a well known series unlike Tales of Symphonia (I'm pretty sure. I certainly hadn't played the other 2 games and I don't think most people had.) and Golden sun.

Edited by Jediabiwan

That's horrible logic. It should have guaranteed the release of FE8/FE9 which it did. As much as I wanted FE6 to be released it would be very strange for them to translate and release an older game.

The logic was referring to the notion of them translating FE12, which is an older game.

FE6 would have made much more sense then FE12 to get a release out of order.

Consider this: A, compared to 7, it's a sequel. Western fans wouldn't be able to tell the difference that they got the game out of order. And B, it would be on the GBA, a still relevant system at the time. The DS is a dead system. Lord know why Pokemon is still coming out for it, but it's the only important exception.

Compatibility, mostly. Once they make a 3rd gen remake, it'll shift to the 3DS. If they made Black 2 and White 2 on the 3DS, for Hoenn pokemon, you'd need to transfer 2 consoles up. And lol, it's not like people wouldn't buy a mainstream pokemon game even if they made it for the GBA.

Lord know why Pokemon is still coming out for it, but it's the only important exception.

So they can use the same Game Engine without a massive modification to work on the 3DS. Different screen resolution, etc, not even counting the whole "3D" thing. It's also Pokemon, it can get away with it.

Compatibility, mostly. Once they make a 3rd gen remake, it'll shift to the 3DS.

Considering the fact that B/W2s release is months ahead of when Pokemon games traditionally launch, they're clearly trying to rush to the 3DS. The anime has been reasonably low on filler, apparently, meaning that an early Gen 6 announcement by early 2013, nearly two years early, is quite likely.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a 3rd Gen remake, unless it's going to be built into B/W2 or something. Not only is the DS an old console, even with the advanced schedule on B/W2, it wouldn't be until mid-2013, most likely. Furthermore, the original reason for the remakes was that there was no way to connect the GB/GBC to the GBA, something that Gen 3 doesn't have an issue with. (And hell, there needs to be an end to remakes, if RSE gets a remake, by the same logic then FRLG needs a remake too.)

But, this isn't a Pokemon topic. This is a discussion for another place and time.

Edited by ZephyrShakuraus

Thanks, I was going to look for that eventually.

Whoo, FE6 got beat and so did FE1 and 3. Now it's only got FE4 and FE3 to beat. I'd imagine it might top FE4 (at 500K) eventually, but it'll probably take an international release to top FE3.