Books that influenced you the most?

Don Draper

Sounds like a cool suggestion!

So far:

The Autobiography of Malcolm X is my favorite non-fiction book, or maybe anything, yet, and definitely the one that most made me think as a teenager. Not sure what it was, whether it was just about hearing the stories it told, the insight on race (however biased by perspective it may have been), or the force of will behind it, but it really floored me when I was 16.

Herman Hesse's Steppenwolfe is my favorite novel. Reading it, it felt like somebody else took everything I could possibly think to say about depression and say it a million times more conscientiously, more artfully, more just plain better than I could hope to, at least at the time. On top of that, I find it stimulated/stimulates my imagination wonderfully.

Feeling Good could be the best self-help book I've read yet at commanding my attention, but I probably can't say it has really influenced me yet. maybe if I read more than a couple chapters I'll be able to get back to you on that

Edited by Rehab

Un utterly impartial history of Britain OR: Two thousand years of upper-class idiots in charge by John Farrel.

Learning history has never been so funny, and my sense of humor has been changed forever.

The only thing I actually know of that I'm consciously aware of having influenced me was Aristotle's perspective that there are five classifications to life: the atomic, the physical, life which is organic, life which is aware, and life which is self-aware (human). It is the only thing that I've taken for granted, and no matter how much it bugs me, it always seems like a safe fall-back.

It still bugs me to no end.

I'm kinda torn between Proverbs and Ecclesiastes; the former has some nice themes to live by, while the latter's a reminder that even the greatest of us are still human. Next-closest things would be a tie between The Art of War and Death of a Salesman.

The Fountainhead.

It was assigned reading in high school, and it rocked my worldview.

same here (except it wasn't assigned reading)

of course i'm well aware that there's a lot of idealistic crap, but it did shape my opinions on individualism and collectivism

Well, I might as well list a fiction book, since most of you have listed non-fiction ones. It would have to be Harry Potter. Whatever flaws it might have, it was probably the series that sparked my interest in writing as a career.

Ender's Game influenced me a ton back when I was like 14... thankfully that influence is gone, because I got all the wrong messages from the book.

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

That one book of a guy who loves to sleep, eat, sex. Ends up killing a guy because it was hot and ends up getting executed because he didn't cry at his mother's funeral. I forgot the name and the author's name and I feel bad about that. Why can't remember the damn names?

But yeah. I was assigned these books in school but they left an impact on me alright in how I think and perceive the world which changes constantly. My mind is funny like that.

You're meaning Albert Camus's The Stranger

Ah. Thank you. I wouldn't be able to live with myself for at least 4 hours if I didn't figure/find out the name and author.

About the most significant thing i have read is Hamlet... Specially the phrase the readiness is all... I have been having trouble with procrastination for the past year or so, and that seems to have made it better...

Oh, here's a serious one...in general, the book did not influence me at all, but this passage from Mastering the Art of War (which is actually really from the Dao De Jing, but that's where I read it first) has stayed with me.

Skilled warriors of old were subtle,

mysteriously powerful,

so deep they were unknowable,

Just because they are unknowable,

I will try to describe them.

Their wariness was as that of one crossing a river in winter,

their caution was as that of one in fear of all around,

their gravity was that of a guest,

their relaxation was as that of ice at the melting point.

Simple as uncarved wood,

open as the valleys,

they were inscrutable as murky water.

Who can, in turbidity,

use the gradual clarification of stillness?

Who can, long at rest,

use the gradual enlivening of movement?

Those who preserve this Way do not want fullness,

Just because of not wanting fullness,

it is possible to use the full and not make anew.

It's not so much what is trying to be described as the act of description, itself condemned by the author as futile, that struck me (well, actually, it, primarily for the paradoxical nature of the description, but not so much so as the paradoxical nature of describing what cannot be described). It's actually possible that the words given are misleading as to the author's original intent, and there are many translations of this passage with different meanings, but I still like this one, the first one I stumbled upon.

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451. It's really freaking scary how we're headed in a direction not unlike what's presented in that book.

Ridiculous. Book sales have been increasing in recent years, not decreasing. E-books might change that, but there will always be some demand for real books, and reading is never going to disappear.

Ridiculous. Book sales have been increasing in recent years, not decreasing. E-books might change that, but there will always be some demand for real books, and reading is never going to disappear.

He's not talking about readership going down...he's talking about people going around memorizing the text of their favorite books so that they will never be lost. Except instead of books, they memorize and recite their favorite episodes from Family Guy and the script (and intonations) of Borat.

Edited by Jet Black Gunner

What is Art? by Leo Tolstoy had a profound effect on my thinking about the subject, as did his negative reaction to Shakespeare. It was enough to motivate me to read through his complete works on my own spare time to come to my own conclusions.

Choosing something more recent, Requiem for a Species: Why We Resist the Truth About Climate Change by Clive Hamilton is the single most depressing thing I ever read. He demonstrates, in the most sober way possible, that it is already too late (For all practical purposes) to prevent the worst effects of global warming, and that all we can do from here is make the most of the world we will inherit.

He's not talking about readership going down...he's talking about people going around memorizing the text of their favorite books so that they will never be lost. Except instead of books, they memorize and recite their favorite episodes from Family Guy and the script (and intonations) of Borat.

I think you missed the point.