Support Conversations

I think we can add Velvet, Lucina, and Flavia to that list.

Even Flavia's support with Basilio had Basilio take a stab at Flavia for her unwomanly habits. Unfortunately. Though I still like Flavia anyway, they really do seem determined to point out that women are different than men and don't you forget it.

Personally my favourite characters on the girl's side have been Lucina and Sariya, since (from what's been posted so far) no one is comparing them to the strength of others. I also think female MU is also handled well. I just think they did a huge disservice to fans by using some of the more obnoxious anime tropes, such as the Christmas Cake.

The "Boys will outstrip me because I'm female" thing happened too in One Piece as part as Zoro's backstory and it bothered me then, so the same trope popping up over and over is really bothersome. Personally I prefer a Final Fantasy approach where, statistically, the boys tend to be physically stronger, but no one has to point out "OH LOOK HOW WEAK YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU HAVE TWO X CHROMOSOMES."

Sairi's support I found kind of bland. She's like the random overtly-Asian girl in all of the Rune Factory games.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now we return to our regularly scheduled programming with the much-anticipated Soiree x Frederick. Look forward to Olivia x Krom coming soon to a theater post near you.

[spoiler=Soiree x Frederick C]Soiree: There you are, Frederick! I was hoping I could train with you a bit.

Frederick: No problem. Please come at me whichever way you like.

Soiree: Alright then! HAAAA!

Frederick: That's a fine move... But!

Soiree: AHH!

Frederick: Are you alright, Miss Soiree?

Soiree: Yeah... I give up. It's my loss. Thanks... a lot. .......

Frederick: Is something bothering you?

Soiree: ... I'm just wondering why I was beaten so easily, is all.

Frederick: That wasn't easy at all. It was a very close match.

Soiree: But, I didn't lose to anybody else during practice.

Frederick: Victory is a roll of the dice. It's not always the strongest who wins.

Soiree: Yeah... Thanks for the lesson. When I get tougher, I'll be back to challenge you again!

Frederick: I shall be awaiting your return.

[spoiler=Soiree x Frederick B]Frederick: What's wrong, Miss Soiree? You haven't been acting like yourself these last couple of fights. Is something troubling you?

Soiree: ... I just can't hide anything from you, can I? I was trying to figure out why I keep losing to you.

Frederick: Ah, so that's what this is about. Well, that's not really something you need to worry about. After all, we're comrades.

Soiree: But it's still strange to me. You... are the only person I've felt I couldn't beat even before fighting them. I wonder why?

Frederick: Hmm, I see... That reminds me, I was the one who taught you how to use the sword and spear when you were still a trainee with the vigilante corps.

Soiree: Yeah. Back then, I felt I would never lose to any of the men there... But when I first went up against you, the instructor who didn't really look all that strong, I was pulverized...

Frederick: Ah, "Pulverized" is a little too much. That was just something of a rite of passage.

Soiree: That "rite" frustrated me so much that I couldn't get a wink of sleep that night...

Frederick: ... Moving on, that day is probably the cause for all this. In a fight between a martial arts master and their pupil, the disciple wouldn't really stand a chance. Your initial impression of "I can't beat my master!" must have remained with you.

Soiree: ! Then, the reason I can't beat you... is that you crushed me before, Frederick!?

Frederick: As I said before, it was nowhere near that severe.

[spoiler=Soiree x Frederick A]Soiree: Frederick. Did you see that last fight?

Frederick: I certainly did. You fought magnificently. It looked like you've resolved some important matter within yourself.

Soiree: Yup. Thanks to you, Frederick... I finally got it. As a woman, it was absolutely unacceptable for me to lose to a man... For me, beating you became a goal that I desperately strove for...

Fredrick: Those feelings aren't bad at all..

Soiree: I know. But I had almost lost myself to them. I realized that defeating you, the man, wasn't my real goal. What I should be aiming for is nothing like that. It was to earn your trust as comrades... Once I started thinking like that, I believe that I'm finally on my way to becoming your equal.

Frederick: Miss Soiree... You have become a fine adult indeed.

Soiree: I was finally able to come face to face with my true self. It feels like a whole new door is now open in front of me. And it's all thanks to you. I'm truly grateful that you are my teacher.

Frederick: No, you're no longer my student. That relation has ended for us. We are now comrades, equal in standing and position.

Soiree: Yeah! Thank you!

[spoiler=Soiree x Frederick S]Soiree: Ughh...

Frederick: What's wrong, Miss Soiree? Is there something troubling you again?

Soiree: I was thinking about the reason I wasn't able to beat you before.

Frederick: What's this? Haven't we already resolved this matter? The bit about how we were martial arts master and disciple at the time...

Soiree: Yes and I agreed with you about that. But that's not it. This feeling... it's different.

Frederick: ......? Miss Soiree...?

Soiree: I always get so flustered when I'm in front of you... I always used to think about you... It's the first time I've ever felt this so I didn't understand it at first but... I like you.

Frederick: Miss Soiree...

Soiree: I'm sorry for just saying something like that out of nowhere. But if I don't resolve this, I won't be able to move on. Please tell me... how you feel.

Frederick: Understood. Well then... This is how I feel. Please accept it.

Soiree: ... This is... a ring? And my name is engraved on it...

Frederick: I had this made for you. Once this war had ended, I was going to...

Soiree: ... You'd really be happy with someone like me?

Frederick: Indeed. No one else will do.

Soiree: It's really strange. It feels like another new door is being opened for me. One that is just shining with the promise of happiness and satisfaction...

Frederick: I feel it too. Once I had recognized my feelings, just being with you seemed to fill my heart with a warm light.

Soiree: .... .......Frederick...

Frederick: Please be my light from now on.

Soiree: Yes. With pleasure.

Frederick: Thank you, Miss Soiree. I vow to love you always and forever.

Soiree: Thank you too, Frederick... Please look after me from now on.

That surprised me. They're both so crazy about training that I thought their whole support would be about it, but it seems theirs is more of a master-pupil relationship. Soiree keeps surprising me, indeed. But I like her support with Krom better.

Yes, what Xjezhekijr and Enaeius said. Have another support to talk about. (It looks like I messed up the C Support instead of the A this time -_-;;)

[spoiler=Male MUxSerge]

[spoiler=C Support]

Serge: How's this one? ...Worthless? Then, how about this one? But I think he's quite handsome. Alright...they're not to your taste. How troubling...

Rufure: Serge? Who are you talking to?

Serge: Oh my, Rufure. You came at a good time.

Rufure: Eh, are you having trouble with something?

Serge: Rufure, you're her friend, do you think she's a beautiful wyvern?

Rufure: Eh...I'm friends with a wyvern? Are you seriously asking me that?

Serge: Yeah, of course. I've been looking for mate for Minerva-chan, but...she hasn't exactly liked anyone yet.

Rufure: Minerva...Serge, you say she keeps rejecting them? Matchmaking, huh...I heard that it was the beginning of the season for that.

Serge: That's correct. I also...no, I'm probably the first in human history.

Rufure: Incredibly magnificent, you say, it sound like your plans are going smoothly huh?

Serge: The great step of mankind, shouldn't try to cooperate in it? [angry Serge is angry]

Rufure: I, I see...I'll try to cooperate.

Serge: See, Rufure said he'll cooperate. Isn't that great, Minerva-chan? (Minerva growls) ...Ufufu, we're delighted about it.

Rufure: Yeah, delight...seems more like mad rage...

[spoiler=B Support]

Rufure: Serge. I looked at information about wyverns from various places.

Serge: Oh, thank you! Would it be okay for me to look, I wonder?

Rufure: Yeah.

Serge: My my, they're like caricatures...Say, Rufure. I wonder, is this all the information on everyone about girls?

Rufure: Eh, yeah, did I do something wrong?

Serge: ...Rufure. Minerva-chan is a girl.

Rufure: Eehh, she is!? I thought for sure...so she's not a boy...

Serge: Geez. No matter how you look at her, how could you not see a pretty girl?

Rufure: Where are you looking...but, you really got that angry when I asked...

Serge: Did you say something~?

Rufure: N-no, no! Sorry, it seems like I misunderstood! I'll gather information on the right gender of wyvern next time.

Serge: I looks like Minerva-chan is actually a sucker for handsome men, so try to find some for her, okay?

Rufure: How do you even find a good or bad-looking wyvern...

Serge: By the shape and length, by the gloss of his scales and his bulk, by the sharpness of his fangs and claws, by the size of his wings...The overall contour and the beauty of his cry is important, too.

Rufure: I, I see. I have no confidence in this...but I accepted.

[spoiler=A Support]

Rufure: Serge. Here, how's this guy? I think he's pretty handsome, don't you?

Serge: Well! He seems perfectly fine at first glance. Here. Look, Minerva-chan. Would he satisfy you from now on? (Minerva's cry) ...Ufufu, so you like this kind of guy.

Rufure: Thank goodness...I would been in trouble if she didn't.

Serge: Thank you, Rufure. I'm happy you were so empathetic for Minerva-chan's sake.

Rufure: Then, maybe my name will go down in history for this feat, huh?

Serge: Yeah, of course. Rufure's name will go down as a great matchmaker.

Rufure: Me, a matchmaker!? Moreover, a wyvern matchmaker? How can that be, when I've never even hooked two humans up? [Lies! MU pairs off everyone ]

Serge: Rufure, you shouldn't consider that.

Rufure: It makes me happy to hear you say that, but I wonder if I had such an important role...

Serge: It's alright. It's thanks to you they'll be able to meet face-to-face now.

Rufure: Thanks...I don't know what to say. I'm not entirely sure I've succeeded, but... (Minerva's cry) Uwaaah!? Wh...what, what!? My ears are starting to feel weird...!! Se-Serge!! Is she happy to be going? You're not going to fly into a mad rage at me, are you?!

Serge: I won't fly into a mad rage. It'd be like abandoning one of our own.

Rufure: Eeehhh!? That wasn't a threat!

Serge: Well, Minerva-chan and I owe you that much.

Rufure: But I feel cheated somehow...Alright, since I've come this far already, I've decided to see through until the end.

Serge: Fufu, thank you. Isn't that great, Minerva-chan? (Minerva's cry)

Rufure: Yeah...happy to help...

[spoiler=S Support]

Serge: Rufure, sorry about earlier. After all the trouble trying to introduce that wyvern to Minerva, it didn't go well.

Rufure: That was a quite a fierce fight they had.. I thought the world was going to end. ...but I was even more anxious about how you stopped those wyverns from fighting

Serge: Ha ha.. well. I just scolded her a bit

Rufure: We'll try to find another mate for her, so don't give up yet.

Serge: That's right, I can't let her miss her chance to marry like me. (lit: Serge is saying that she's past her marriageable age)

Rufure: Miss your chance? I take that it means you've been through marriage interviews once?

Serge: Yes, but those never went well. They fled the moment they saw Minerva. Minerva and I are one set, so if they can't get along with Minerva than I can't accept a marriage. Maybe I'm just stubborn about that. I guess that's why I missed my chance.

Rufure: I don't think so. I must thank Minerva for shielding you away from other men.

Serge: What do you mean?

Rufure: This is what I mean (gives something to Serge)

Serge: Oh my.. a ring.. is this?

Rufure: I love you Serge. Let's be together from now on. Of course, it goes without saying that I'll take care of Minerva as well. Will you marry me?

Serge: Rufure.. I.. thank you.. this is the best proposal I ever had. I accept it.

Rufure: Thank you. I'm so happy.

Serge: What a twist.. I intended to find a mate for Minerva, but I got one for myself instead.

Rufure: Well then.. let's announce this to everyone

Serge: Yes, I'm sure they will be delighted

Serge: I love you. I must have survived this long to meet you.

About marriageable age in Japanese fiction

http://tvtropes.org/...n/ChristmasCake

Credit for the S Support goes to ColdBrand.

That was a bit strange and the S support seems to have come out of nowhere. However, it was fun. I will always remember MU's immortal line:

Rufure: Me, a matchmaker!? Moreover, a wyvern matchmaker? How can that be, when I've never even hooked two humans up? [Lies! MU pairs off everyone ]

It reminds me of a fanart about Blazing Sword's tactician laugh.gif

I love the hard work of the translators but it bothers me that so few of the girls have any self-confidence in a way that doesn't demean their own gender. Considering how many women there are in this particular army, the fact that the majority of them are bemoaning their female weakness is actually kind of mindboggling. I think because Soiree specifically demeans herself all the time because she's a girl, it makes me think less of her character, while a more confident girl like Sariya, no matter how crazy she is, happens to be much more attractive. I nope NoA/NoE takes some liberties and gives the girls a little more self-respect. I just really hate all this "Strong... for a girl" vibe I'm getting from a lot of the supports, especially in a fantasy game. I realize this has happened throughout the series many times, but I wish more of the characters would be more like Titania from FE9/10.

Sorry 'bout the rant, but it's been bugging me for awhile!

Well, others have pointed out that there are other female characters whose portrayal has been (more or less) more positive, but it's true that this game is full of anime tropes (like the Christmas Cake pointed out in the MUxSerge support) and their idea of how to be feminine, so I understand the reason behind your rant. Fortunately, one of the blessings of FE is that there are tons of characters, men and women alike, so there will always be some characters that don't need to define themselves about gender stereotypes, anime or not.

Even Flavia's support with Basilio had Basilio take a stab at Flavia for her unwomanly habits. Unfortunately. Though I still like Flavia anyway, they really do seem determined to point out that women are different than men and don't you forget it.

Personally my favourite characters on the girl's side have been Lucina and Sariya, since (from what's been posted so far) no one is comparing them to the strength of others. I also think female MU is also handled well. I just think they did a huge disservice to fans by using some of the more obnoxious anime tropes, such as the Christmas Cake.

The "Boys will outstrip me because I'm female" thing happened too in One Piece as part as Zoro's backstory and it bothered me then, so the same trope popping up over and over is really bothersome. Personally I prefer a Final Fantasy approach where, statistically, the boys tend to be physically stronger, but no one has to point out "OH LOOK HOW WEAK YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU HAVE TWO X CHROMOSOMES."

I don't really see what the problem is. Women and men are different, and trying to whitewash those differences is stunting their potential for development. You're basically saying that you want women to be held up to men's standards, rather than creating their own that fit their own strengths and shortcomings.

I don't really see what the problem is. Women and men are different, and trying to whitewash those differences is stunting their potential for development. You're basically saying that you want women to be held up to men's standards, rather than creating their own that fit their own strengths and shortcomings.

But I think the problem is that they are portraying females as the weaker sex, or something.

But I think the problem is that they are portraying females as the weaker sex, or something.

Studies show that women are generally weaker than men, and more receptive to pain than men. However, women have other skills and traits over men as well (multitasking comes to mind).

Yes women and men are different, but wouldn't it annoy you if someone felt they had to point out all the time how inferior they are because they don't possess the same parts as another guy? Serge mentions in virtually all her supports how she is "beyond marriageable age" and seems taken aback that people are willing to marry her anyway. Her appearance is somewhere like a late 20's or early 30's. She doesn't look as old as Titania or Syrene but she obsesses over the fact that she is past her prime, so to speak. Medieval fantasy or not, it's inconsistent even with the rest of the series with unmarried older women who were treated just fine.

It is a fantasy and I should hope that girls in a fantasy wouldn't put themselves down so often. They don't have to hold up the girls to men's standards (though they do happen to make up half the army), but do they have to make all the girls have some strange inferiority complexes? I understand some characters having issues, like Selena comparing herself to her mother, but it makes me sad that Soiree seems to always have to point out "Oh, but I'm a girl, so I'll fall behind".

Don't think too much into it. It's a work of fiction and I'm not going to go OMG BOYCOTTING THE GAME. Every character has their own problems to work out, but I wish they hadn't insisted on making many of the girls fret about their appeal problems. It all eventually works out in the end but sometimes I think some of the characters unnecessarily degrade themselves. It's like watching skinny girls complain about how fat they are IRL.

I'm patiently awaiting Paris's supports.

That MU x Serge support has the same "We talked a few times so now we're in love" problem the vast majority of supports do. Not just in this game, but in the series in general.

Also, just how old is she supposed to be? Looking at her, I thought she was in her teens.

In case you guys have not seen this:

[spoiler=Paris Confession Image]

640px-Paris_Confession.jpg

I strangely did not imagine Paris to look so...rugged. Then again, he is the descendant of Ike. He even wears armor that looks ALMOST similar to Ike's.

Paris_Kakusei.jpg

And he's a Lvl 20 Hero with Sword Slayer, Axe Slayer, Lance Slayer, Luna, and Sol. Hell, he even comes with Ragnell and a Tomahawk. So I guess it's to be expected.

Edited by Karaszure

Also, just how old is she supposed to be? Looking at her, I thought she was in her teens.

Apparently 25+ is considered "too old", but Serge doesn't look over 20.

Hopefully this ends up as one of the things that gets mysteriously changed during localization due to a lack of proper context to have the intended impact on an American audience.

Edited by Othin

[spoiler=Paris related]Paris is Ike's descendant...?

So he somehow made it to Iris and had a kid with Soren someone and so on.

Huh. Didn't see that coming.

[spoiler=Paris related]Paris is Ike's descendant...?

So he somehow made it to Iris and had a kid with Soren someone and so on.

Huh. Didn't see that coming.

Seems like it, anyway. Due to there being no official timeline, there's no actual knowledge of whether or not Paris is Ike's actual son or a direct descendant somewhere down a long line. Either way, it seems that Ike went with the whole "random village girl" route that Krom could possibly take if he doesn't have any supports.

But what further proof do we need other than the fact that he comes with Ragnell? And he literally starts out at god tier right off the bat. Being able to say "fuck you" to the weapon triangle and come in swinging with 44 Skill and Sol & Luna at recruitment is no easy feat. Such a shame Paris couldn't have been a Lord, though. But I suppose this works fine.

I want to see his growths and reclass options.

Don't know his growths, but his reclass options are Mercenary, Fighter, and Myrmidon.

Holy crap... Paris really is a descendant of Ike. >_>

So wait then that means.... I guessed right?! (page 88)

HOLYadjksdufnaosfjwsiodjferoiaffcfuivrbausiurfhesjfgvreafocvbeioah!!1...

I feel special. =)

Edited by Kyza