Terrible Units

I just finished my first play through of kakusei and I've started messing around with some of the units I never really used in the main story.

So far, it seems like pretty much anyone can become decent, unless her name is mariabel. Maybe I'm getting completely RNG screwed, but she's just working out terribly. It seems like her growths in magic and speed are really bad...

has anyone else had that problem with her or other units?

Same story. Everyone except for Mariabel can turn out great, but not always in their default classes. For instance, Brady sucked as a Battle Monk, but he excelled as a Paladin and a Demon Fighter.

I've had a lot of trouble with Sumia. 11 defense at 20/10 Falconknight. PEMN and all but it doesn't bode well for her.

Ah I made her a knight before I changed her to a Falcon Knight. She ended up with 30 defense.

Donny, Mariabel, and Brady. They can all work out if you grind, but that's a given.

Brady isn't going to become a Paladin without spending quite some time being absolutely abysmal.

I've had a lot of trouble with Sumia. 11 defense at 20/10 Falconknight.

Yes, because Pegasus Knights are known for having great physical defenses...

Oh, wait! They aren't...

My Sumia has pretty pitiful defence, but her avoid is outrageously high, so it almost never matters.

I just have no idea what to do with mariabel. I have her on a normal save and i've reclassed her into a dark pegasus (to give brady lightning speed), but she's just as bad there as she is as a valkyrie. I also tried her out really briefly as a battle cleric and she gained aboslutely no strength. Surely she has to have some sort of redeemable class path? I've trained her around 35 levels and she only has 18 magic...

Donny, Mariabel, and Brady. They can all work out if you grind, but that's a given.

Brady isn't going to become a Paladin without spending quite some time being absolutely abysmal.

Eh "some time" was short for me then. I got him 17 levels as a cavalier in 45 minutes or so, and he was set. Krom was his dad though, so that probably made his strength and defense growths great.

I haven't really had any trouble with donny since I switched him out of villager (although I have been training with the express purpose of grinding)

My donny has actually been really strong. but I don't think he's really a viable character, especially in anything harder than normal, because he's just too weak and underleveled

Eh "some time" was short for me then. I got him 17 levels as a cavalier in 45 minutes or so, and he was set. Krom was his dad though, so that probably made his strength and defense growths great.

I'm speaking strictly when not grinding: there's really no point otherwise. When you are grinding, you can turn anyone from terrible to great in a far shorter amount of time.

Yes, because Pegasus Knights are known for having great physical defenses...

Oh, wait! They aren't...

I do prefer to have characters that don't die in two hits in Normal Mode. And when there's plenty of options for tankier fliers (both Tiamo and Serge without even considering reclassing or children), I'll pass on the lightweight.

Though without growth data it's impossible to know if I just got incredibly unlucky.

On my HM file, Sumia has 11 Def as a LV5 Dark Pegasus, and she promoted somewhere below LV15. On the other hand, ~13/5 doesn't really cut it at Ch20. Krom has 26 Def, for comparison, as well as 56 HP to her 29. He's a ~15/15/4 Paladin, so level lead definitely plays a role, but she fell behind because she was having troubles in the first place. Either that or I was having her spend too much time behind Henry so he could fight competently while supporting the two of them. That probably has more to do with it, actually.

But without any doubt, she's nowhere near as bad as Donny/Mariabel/Brady.

Isn't being able to heal with a horse quite useful?

Yes, which is why I'm going to happily assume that alls these people just got raped by the RNG. Then again, you can just use a bunch of Magic boosters on her (whenever they appear).

Oh man, does this mean I'm going to have to look elsewhere for my amazing battle cleric? I was planning on doing Vake-Mariabel for give him an axe-using father.

If you do that, it might help Brads STR. But unless the guide reveals growth rates, that's speculation.

She's made of paper...

Oh man, does this mean I'm going to have to look elsewhere for my amazing battle cleric? I was planning on doing Vake-Mariabel for give him an axe-using father.

Libera should do just fine. His other class options are awful, though. Should have had Fighter for his last option instead of Mage; he already has access to Sage and Dark Knight between Priest and Dark Mage.

As for Brady, the problem is that he joins late and is at least initially terrible at everything.

Edited by Othin

As for Brady, the problem is that he joins late and is at least initially terrible at everything.

"He looks tough but is actually a good-for-nothing", says his ingame description.

Yes, which is why I'm going to happily assume that alls these people just got raped by the RNG. Then again, you can just use a bunch of Magic boosters on her (whenever they appear).

I would think about it... but I would really only do that if I liked mariabel as a character and wanted to invest in her. As it is, I find her to be kind of irritating, although others might not feel the same way.

Isn't being able to heal with a horse quite useful?

It is in theory, but their ability to heal is out-classes by priests/clerics (with the healing heart skill) and their mobility is out-classed by falcon knights.

Could it be that growth rates are similar to FE11 and FE12 where characters have base growth rates plus or minus class growth rates? More and more it seems like this is the case. I have a feeling the Troubadour class might have terrible growth rates to compensate for having a mounted healer that's dedicated to support rather than combat. Or Mariabel has bad personal growth rates possibly.

Othin, how much of an improvement do you see when a unit has the skill Good Growth equipped on them? Is it noticeable or are you better off using another skill?

Edited by Pitbuller26

Could it be that growth rates are similar to FE11 and FE1 where characters have base growth rates plus or minus class growth rates? More and more it seems like this is the case. I have a feeling the Troubadour class might have terrible growth rates to compensate for having a mounted healer that's dedicated to support rather than combat. Or Mariabel has bad personal growth rates possibly.

Othin, how much of an improvement do you see when a unit has the skill Good Growth equipped on them? Is it noticeable or are you better off using another skill?

I'm certain this is the case with classes impacting growths. No doubt about it.

I've never done much with any units with Good Growths. I mean, an average of +1.6 stats per level-up is pretty great, and it's not like it's easy to get your skill set filled to capacity. Even when you have five other skills, chances are, not all of them will be quite so worth using. Particularly for Donny. I mean, his standard possible skills are:

Good Growths

Weak Beats Strong

Weapon Saver

Late Initiative

Max HP +5

Fiery Heart

Skill Cry

Bow Slayer

Sol

Axe Slayer

Strength Cry

Counter

Good Growths doesn't seem to have a whole lot of competition there, especially when it matters most: when he hasn't gained enough levels to use many of those in the first place.

I'm nearly 100% sure that growth rates are a combination of personal + class rates in this game too. I think maybe Mariabel suffers from bad personal and class growths (in her original troubadour class at least).

I know I'm not Othin, but I've found that good growths can be really good. By the time you have enough skills to start switching them on and off, you can remove it without much consequence.