Fire Emblem: The Medallion of Hope

Klokinator

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these would you prefer?

• Single chapters, downloadable as seperate projects. You can download each chapter individually and the filesize will be relatively small. As a bonus you get the awesome custom title screens made by mewiyev for each chapter.
    • All the chapters inside one large game file. This will make one huge file instead of a bunch of smaller files, but will possibly be more convenient. The chapters will not link, they will still be episodic. There will only be one title screen.

Yoshi's facial hair isn't actually on his mug, but Mew thought it would make him look more badass.

I think it's safe to say she was right. Also, eCut is working on a new mug for Prime based on his art I just posted. Basically, he's gonna be a cowboy. Bitches love cowboys.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just curious about something. Of all the people who have worked with FEXP, or those who know Ruby, how hard would it be to implement the FE5 critical system, and replace the GBA FE crit system?

In case you don't know how the systems differ, allow me to explain.

Let's say you have two units. Guy, VS Dorcas.

Guy has 12 STR and a weapon with 6 MGT.

Dorcas has 14 DEF.

FE7

Guy attacks Dorcas for (12+6=18-14=4) 4 damage, but crits (4x3=12) for 12 damage. Basically, FE7 triples damage displayed in battle.

FE5

Guy attacks Dorcas for the same displayed damage (4) but then he luckily crits, which works much differently. Critting takes your STR and MGT, combines them, doubles them, then subtracts enemy DEF. Therefore (12+6=18 x 2 = 36) 36 crit damage minus 14 DEF = 22 Damage.

The reason I want to implement FE5's crit system, is because it makes Crit's more useful for all classes because Swordmasters, when critting, penetrate enemy defenses more easily. On the other hand, the power classes like Warrior will get less out of crits because they already rape defenses anyway, and instead of tripling displayed damage, it's only doubling actual damage. Also, this allows sword units to stand a chance against armored units.

If anyone has, or is considering, scripting the FE5 critical system, I will actually pay you $5 to let me use it in MoH.

I'm just curious about something. Of all the people who have worked with FEXP, or those who know Ruby, how hard would it be to implement the FE5 critical system, and replace the GBA FE crit system?

Fairly, because of how target damage is calculated (it does everything internally to deal with skills, then only gives the one dmg value which crits can simply multiply)

FaON.png

the basic handling of crit damage is here but there's no way to account for simply doubling the attack power and then leaving the defense the same

The problem is basically the interaction of skills and criticals. Since I coded criticals to be a simple multiplier they are calculated as the last thing and in realtime when needed. Making it more complicated means it has to be part of the damage determining methods

Guy has 12 STR and a weapon with 6 MGT.

Dorcas has 14 DEF.

FE7

Guy attacks Dorcas for (12+6=18-14=4) 4 damage, but crits (4x3=12) for 12 damage. Basically, FE7 triples damage displayed in battle.

FE5

Guy attacks Dorcas for the same displayed damage (4) but then he luckily crits, which works much differently. Critting takes your STR and MGT, combines them, doubles them, then subtracts enemy DEF. Therefore (12+6=18 x 2 = 36) 36 crit damage minus 14 DEF = 22 Damage.

right now i'd imagine the crit portion of the routine looks like this (psuedocode not actual ruby)

if attacker.crit: attacker.damage *= 3

it'd probably be pretty simple to change it to this:

if attacker.crit:
 attacker.damage = attacker.mt*2 - defender.def

alternately you could refactor the code so the check takes place in the midst of the calculations:

attacker.damage = attacker.mt*(2 if attacker.crit else 1) - defender.def

i'd implement a sample for you and let you work with it but i haven't touched ruby in ages

EDIT: or yeti can have a real answer and not my theorycraft

EDIT2:

hey wait if the crit is calc'd when i think it is there should be a local pointer to the attacker/defender data so you can store final hp and whatnot back into them

can't you conjure up mt and defense from those?

Edited by Camtech

double post because

Fcwj.png

Couldn't something like this work?

Yeah, but both of those methods would need coded because they're presently two halves of the current damage method. Also they'd both need to have the opposing unit passed in to account for skills (so Luna/Pierce would reduce defense instead of giving attack, etc)

Also it'd be battler_1.atk or battler_2.def since the actors don't hold the combat stat methods, because of things like supports and skills and such

@Cam: Screencap more, please. I don't know how you told the game what df is.

Also, it looks like it could cause issues with whether the player or enemy criticals.

df is because i'm like 80% sure that using 'def' as a name causes problems, read my comment

and if the routine works the way i think it does, 'battler_1' and 'battler_2' just refer to the attacker and defender respectively

Yeah, but both of those methods would need coded because they're presently two halves of the current damage method. Also they'd both need to have the opposing unit passed in to account for skills (so Luna/Pierce would reduce defense instead of giving attack, etc)

oh, right i forgot about that

i just whipped that up in a few seconds but it shouldn't be too much refactoring, should it?

we can just alias so we don't have to deal with making sure that we catch everything

Also it'd be battler_1.atk or battler_2.def since the actors don't hold the combat stat methods, because of things like supports and skills and such

righto

Edited by Camtech

Roughly 30-40% of this is going over my head. Pfft more like 90% but I really appreciate the effort being put into it.

As a reward, a slight taste of something special I'm cooking up for MoH.

da75586e47542b83dea88b4dfd8fbe3e.png

Who is this person? Why is this picture so rough and coarse? Why is there a humongous circle around his crotch? Stay tuned, and find out more as we progress with the title screen for chapter 2 of Medallion of Hope!

Alright, I'll bite.

Shesadrinker.png

Name: I dunno, come up with something

Class: Dancer

Bio: Some dancing chick that the boys all go kawaii-desu over. They're parents, however, tell them to stay away from her. Why? Not because she's a dancer, but because she's a heavy drinker. Booze, booze, and more booze are her preferences and motivations. As a result her dancing is more like a stumbling mess and people are motivated to move again simply to get the hell away from her.

I renamed her to Becky the drunken dancer. The only issue lies in that FEXP does not have a dancer animation nor the Dance command nor the Dancer class in general. I will have to rectify this at some point for her to become a thing.

Name: Nestor

Class: A physical class like Mercenary or Wyvernrider

Bio: A former woodcutter who became a mercenary since being a woodcutter is in no way a good path on the road to be ballin and a playa and has split personality disorder, one half likes to fight and is very arrogant and womanizing while the other half is very kind but its just really a ruse to lower your defenses. Both like to flirt with women especially the ones that can fight,enjoys drinking liquor straight from the bottle,wishes he had an eyepatch cause he thinks they look cool,likes to think that knights and paladins are preppy nerds and always tries to one up them on the battlefield to impress the ladies.

coolmug.png

Edited by ArngrimtheBerserker

You know, I posted a bio for your character on my site, but it was so boring, bland, and dull I was considering taking him out. This'll do a bit better, but that mug could stand to look a little more unique and less like a 3-part splice... maybe ask some people for help cleaning him up? As it stands he's nearly in the Generics category...

My site is klokreations.net, we're aimed at the niche of FEXP developers mostly. We have 5 devs who go to our site, though pwnagekirby and I are the most frequent. We also have Boomansion, who is helping get all the GBA FE Classes implemented into FEXP, Laureola who codes an occasional thing or two, and we used to have terra the pedophile. Banned now, ahem.

Edit: Oh and darkblade used to be working on FE8x with FEXP as well. No idea whether he's still doing that or not.

Edited by Klokinator

Well for romhackers, we have Primefusion who knows a lot about romhacking, there's Fuzz yeah, there's also PK because she used to romhack, me for the basic shit (I always hated romhacking), Ephraim225, and I think one other person who left. We also have Mew and Yoshi for an awesome artist/spriter combo team, we've basically got most bases covered lol.

It's kinda freaky, though, my little sister had a lisp. :x

LOL what a coincidence! Perhaps Kloker really is a genius... only time will tell.

Oh after re-adding up the numbers after a couple more submissions, we're currently at 56 characters in MoH. Keep 'em coming!

Now for all the classes currently used in MoH, since someone mentioned listing how many slots were taken for them classes.

Take note that these are primary weapons, not the only characters with these weapons. Arch specializes in swords though he can use axes and lances too, but I only count him as a sword user.

Bow users: 4. This includes a Warrior that is proficient in bows. We also have a regular archer, and two custom promoted archer classes created by Pwnage Kirby, which are very cool and exciting.

Axe users: 5 currently listed, including a paladin with axes, a warrior, a fighter, a pirate, and another pirate. (May make one of them a berserker)

Sword users: 11. Yep.

Lance users: 7. Not bad.

Prf users only: 11. This includes robots, street fighters, mario characters, and even a dragon!

Magic users in total: 7-8, depending on what class I make Seph. We could really use more magic users in general, we also only have one cleric and one dark magic user. We have 4 mages of the anima variety, and no light magic users aside from that cleric.

If you wanna submit characters, here are some character types I can use/would like to add.

A creepy priest guy that uses light magic. May or may not be a pedophile, but really loves spending time with children. Keep him away from your own.

A sarcastic guy whose blinking frames are rolling his eyes. His lip upturned, he despises all the retarded methods everyone else uses to achieve their goals. He'd much rather punch through everything in his way. Preferred class would be something like a brigand.

Psychotic dark magic user, his eyes always open and unblinking. For the blinking frames, maybe have a dark aura that appears above his head or something. This guy wants to kill and crush everything, even little bunny rabbits. He really is insane, stay far away if possible.

Completely retarded and inept lanceman, this guy's mouth always hangs open and he just drools a lot. His eyes squinty as he tries to fathom why 2+2=4, his IQ is lower than my shoe size, and I wear size 12's.

Stuff like that is always appreciated.