Awakening is FE14?

This is probably really trivial, but it's something that's been bothering me slightly. Long read ahead!

Prologue

Since FE6, every game has been given an internal number, for example in the game code itself, and these numbers are often used to determine the fan numbering.

[spoiler=Internal numbers]Sword of Seals is FIREEMBLEM6, Blazing Sword is FIREMBLEM7 (ae7j on the cartridge), The Sacred Stones is FIREEMBLEM8 (be8j), so far so normal. However Path of Radiance is FE8, due to it being developed around the same time as The Sacred Stones, but we call it FE9 because it was released after what we call FE8. Radiant Dawn returns us to normality, with it being FE10, and then we have Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem as FIREMBLEM11 and FIREEMBLEM12 (vi2j) respectivey.

Awakening's number

Previously there wasn't any way of determining if Awakening had any internal numbering, since the cartridge code doesn't contain numbers and it's impossible to hack 3DS ROMs at the moment. However, yesterday's Fire Emblem World update has Awakening's wallpapers claiming it to be FE14.

The big question here is, does this suggest that there's a FE13 that's yet to be released or is this simply a shift in the internal numbering system?

Numbering system shift?

I'll explain the latter first, because it's more boring and probably makes the most sense.

Up until FE12 (New Mystery of the Emblem), Nintendo referred to FE12 as the 12th Fire Emblem game wherever they went. However, during the promotional campaign for FE12 and the 20th anniversary "celebrations", they suddenly decided to count BSFE as an individual FE title and called it "the 5th Fire Emblem", due to it being released after FE4 (Genealogy of the Holy War). If you read the Iwata Asks interviews for FE12 and FE13, you'll see them calling what we call FE8 "the 9th Fire Emblem", FE12 "the 13th Fire Emblem" and so on.

So if Nintendo is now counting BSFE as their FE5, this causes New Mystery to be the missing FE13 before Awakening.

Unannounced game?

The more exciting proposition, but likely just me grasping for straws.

This wouldn't be the first time two FE titles have been developed simultaneously. As I mentioned earlier, FE8 and FE9 were developed around the same time--FE9 was actually announced first, but was released after FE8. A similar situation might have occured with Awakening and the mystery FE13.

Perhaps FE13 could be a WiiU FE, a direct parallel to FE9 being on the GameCube, which explains why it hasn't been announced yet, as Nintendo are keeping wraps on the WiiU titles. Intelligent Systems also isn't alien to developing for brand new hardware--in an interview, they stated that they were working on FE10 before Wii development kits were sent out--and due to their close relationship with Nintendo, they should have an easier time obtaining the WiiU specs or even kits.

Finally, there's also the curious case of a very mysterious character featured in Awakening itself, who some fans speculate could be a future FE main character.

[spoiler=Paris]Their name being Paris is about the only thing we know about this character. They also have a voice actor in the credits (same as Frederick's) and they can also support My Unit and My Unit's child, inferring that they're a complete (and not throwaway) character who will be released in a future SpotPass-distributed sidequest chapter.

While we know next to nothing about Paris and it's impossible to know they're a future main character just from that, the fact that their identity is so concealed seems awfully suspicious. The official guidebook covers all the SpotPass sidequest characters, including ones yet to be released, but suddenly stops right before Paris. The same book also seems to include the location of every SpotPass sidequest on the world map and there are enough of these locations to include Paris's sidequest. So it sounds more like the guidebook is hiding something, rather than knowing nothing.

A future main character's inclusion in Awakening could be used to build hype for their game, in a similar manner to Roy appearing in Super Smash Bros. Melee before his game came out. It must be far easier for IS to include a cameo in their own developed games than it is to have one in Smash Bros. (Sakurai mentioned how he wasn't aware of Marth's new look in Shadow Dragon, until after he designed Marth in Brawl).

With all that said, I personally think it would be bizarre if another FE's main character was introduced in Awakening in such a way. I mean, if this were true, you'd be able to marry a main character outside of their actual game. You might as well be able to have Ike or Micaiah's babies or something...

To be honest, I don't really believe this scenario myself, but it seems plausible. Either way, E3 is just around the corner and would be the best place to showcase a new WiiU FE (FE10, one of the Wii's showcases of quality, was first announced at E3 as well). So we'll probably know soon which answer is right...

Edited by VincentASM

I'm sure it's just the numbering system shift. Of course, a more accurate shift would call Awakening FE15 instead...!

Of course, either way, I have no intention of adjusting my own numbers used. If there really is another FE in development, then it's the real FE14, and I can't imagine why they or anyone would refer to Awakening as the earlier number when it's been released before the other game was so much as announced, even if the other was in production longer.

Well, they might keep the numbers for filing or development purposes. Like they might have a directory called FE11 on their network, which might have all the data for Shadow Dragon. I remember a hacker mentioning how IS had "Fire Emblem 11" (or something) on their web servers during Shadow Dragon's development.

Well, they might keep the numbers for filing or development purposes. Like they might have a directory called FE11 on their network, which might have all the data for Shadow Dragon. I remember a hacker mentioning how IS had "Fire Emblem 11" (or something) on their web servers during Shadow Dragon's development.

Okay, I can understand it internally, but using those numbers for anything public based on that would just get confusing.

And acknowledging the 15-game lineup would cause all sorts of legal troubles, but it would be worth it.

That's a very interesting read...and plausible regarding the hidden FE. I don't see why not, right? If this really is the case though, then that would mean (assuming they do this...) that we'd get announcements for Awakening coming over to America as well as an announcement for a new Fire emblem on the wii u. A fire emblem E3...Ah, that sounds nice...and to good too be true but who knows?

As for the numbering i'm gonna use...Call me crazy but i count the remakes as remakes, ergo Awakening is Fe11.

Edited by Eriad

So, if we get a new FE game with the internal coding FE13, what will we call it on SF? FE13 or FE14? My guess is FE14 because we already have FE13 out in Japan.

The games should be numbered by the time of their release.

Doing it differently makes no sense. J.K. Rowling wrote the end of Harry Potter before books 2-6, so does that mean Deathly Hallows is ACTUALLY book number 2? Of course not. Same thing applies here.

So, if we get a new FE game with the internal coding FE13, what will we call it on SF? FE13 or FE14? My guess is FE14 because we already have FE13 out in Japan.

Sounds likely, given we call IS's two "FE8"s FE8 and FE9.

I think Nintendo will probably do the same as well, but the conflicting filenames may confuse some fans.

I'm pretty sure it's just the numbering shift as well.

Though, it would be interesting if FE13 is actually a WiiU title that they've been developing but hadn't announced that tells the tale of the Holy King of Iris. I've heard rumblings of connectivity being a big thing for Nintendo between WiiU and 3DS and them intending to many dual releases with games that link to each other

Though, it would be interesting if FE13 is actually a WiiU title that they've been developing but hadn't announced that tells the tale of the Holy King of Iris. I've heard rumblings of connectivity being a big thing for Nintendo between WiiU and 3DS and them intending to many dual releases with games that link to each other

This is the only possibility I could see having even a remote chance. More likely than not, it's just more awkward Nintendo renumbering.

I could definitely see that happening, but I still think in that case that would be the real FE14, or FE15 according to Nintendo's numbers.

Edited by Othin

This is the only possibility I could see having even a remote chance. More likely than not, it's just more awkward Nintendo renumbering.

I think the same. Whether a secret FE was in development or not, this numbering system is just plain bizarre.

I could definitely see that happening, but I still think in that case that would be the real FE14, or FE15 according to Nintendo's numbers.

Agreed now that I think about it. I forgot that for Nintendo FE13 would be New Mystery of the Emblem instead of an unannounced game.

RD was FE:10 then came FE1RMK and FE3RMK so I guess this is FE:11.

Those names are so cumbersome compared to just calling them FE11 and FE12.

It's always stupid when people refuse to call Shadow Dragon and New Mystery FE11 and FE12...

You should be careful when you say that. Even if more people call them FE11 and FE12, there's equal logic for the other way round and people who call them FE11 or FE12 might not like doing so (but may do so to conform and not confuse people).

It's always stupid when people refuse to call Shadow Dragon and New Mystery FE11 and FE12...

It's stupid whenever anyone refers to FE as a number, since the release titles are Fire Emblem: [whatever]. It's not Final Fantasy!

The worst is when people refer to FE as FE7 or FE: Blazing Sword. It's just Fire Emblem.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/few_series.html

Every game here has a small label of "Fire Emblem Series #" with every number coinciding with the release order (and fan's numbering order).

I would like to think that there was a new Wii game in production but it was pushed back to the Wii U and some stuff internally hasn't adjusted to the different release order. However, it seems unlikely that such an error would appear on some wallpapers weeks after the game's release. So I suppose it's entirely possible they've started counting BSFE and this page hasn't been updated.

Edited by ZephyrShakuraus