Super Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations Planning Thread

MarkyJoe1990

Eh.

More work, more time. I feel like people might not connect each part of the game as one, as well.

Also, there should be a limit of 5 chapters or something... I could totally see people making a reskin of Lyn's mode and calling it a ragefest hack. XD

You have to have custom events in your submission or else it's disqualified.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...You're right.

Edit some of the events to be different and we'll call it a surgery instead of a reskin

Hm... new name for a hack type.

Uh... yeah, if anyone tries to exploit loopholes like that, I'll probably disqualify them.

Uh... yeah, if anyone tries to exploit loopholes like that, I'll probably disqualify them.

I don't mean to be a nitpicker but maybe just double-check your rules so somebody doesn't make a hack that gets disqualified without meaning to, since that always sucks XP

Would more chapters actually help the quality? If people can't get one chapter right, I'd hate to see them trash two or three for you to rummage through.

If, for example, it takes two chapters for me to get to their only good one, it will hurt their overall placement in the contest.

That said, almost every Ragefest has at least one submission that is an abomination. However, I think this will get us more good submissions as well as bad ones.

I don't mean to be a nitpicker but maybe just double-check your rules so somebody doesn't make a hack that gets disqualified without meaning to, since that always sucks XP

Actually, while we're at it, I've been writing up the rules for Ragefest 4. Changes will be made based on what ideas I want to use (Such as multi-chapter hacks)

[spoiler=Rules and Awards]Rules:

1. Custom Events Required.

2. Excessive luck is prohibited.

3. Excessive cryptic solutions are prohibited.

4. Arenas are prohibited.

5. Fog of War vision distance of 2 spaces or less is prohibited.

6. Instances of Fog of War must have an obtainable torch or thief within 3 turns of the FOW's start.

7. Chapter must be playtested and confirmed beatable with at most three save states.

Awards:

Douchebag Award

Jester Award

Strategist Award

Map Maker Award

Writer Award

Douchebag Award

Given to the submission that extracted the largest amount of negative emotional reactions from me.

Jester Award

Given to the submission that is the most hilarious in it's own merits (Not just from my emotional reactions).

Strategist Award

Given to the submission with the best design in terms of challenge, pacing, and flow.

Map Maker Award

Given to the submission with the most aesthetically well designed map.

Writer Award

Given to the submission with the most interesting story.

Nitpick and tear apart as you see fit.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Oh wait i just realized, it must be beatable with 3 savestates. Does this mean on the first try, disallowing trial-and-error gameplay?

No. It can take as many tries as you like, but each run through has to be done with a fresh triplet of save states.

For example, if you get far in a submission using three save states, but got into an unwinnable scenario and have to restart, then you can use three new save states, but must not use the ones from the previous attempt.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

No. It can take as many tries as you like, but each run through has to be done with a fresh triplet of save states.

For example, if you get far in a submission using three save states, but got into an unwinnable scenario and have to restart, then you can use three new save states, but must not use the ones from the previous attempt.

So, basically you get three save states for each time you play it. With the save state acting as a strike which you can save your progress mid-game.

3 strikes and you're out, in which you get another shot at playing the submission.

Is that right?

So, basically you get three save states for each time you play it. With the save state acting as a strike which you can save your progress mid-game.

3 strikes and you're out, in which you get another shot at playing the submission.

Is that right?

Well... basically, if you've already used three save states in that play through, you cannot use any more unless you restart the entire chapter, and when you restart, you must delete the previous save states you used.

Clear enough?

Well... basically, if you've already used three save states in that play through, you cannot use any more unless you restart the entire chapter, and when you restart, you must delete the previous save states you used.

Clear enough?

Crystal.

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions so far on the new rules/awards:

1. Are the three savestates no longer given by the hack maker at specific points if they choose to do so?

2. What defines "Excessively Cryptic".

1. I have infinite savestates, so making "checkpoints" isn't necessary. Though, if you do put checkpoints in, it might take it as a challenge.

2. Any scenerio with a solution that the average player would not be able to figure out realistically. I'm probably going to include riddles in this equation since people tend to make them WAY too cryptic.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990