ok i wanna know cuz im curious..

was playing this game at a friends house who i let borrow it for a week and in that time she beat the game, then proceeded to tell me that the GBA fire emblems were much better had better stories and were more fun... we debated and lets say i disagreed with her... and now im curious about if there are anyone eles who has played it that feels this way? not startin this topic to argue or anything just wondering if anyone eles thinks that way too, or if my friend is insane

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really a matter of preference. I personally liked seeing Ike's team be the best mercs ever, but stopping to frolick with noble speech patterns and such may be more fun for them.

Generally, FE9 and 10 had a huge plot that worked together nicely, and Jugdral was a big huge story ball of pairings and confusion. But those had the best plots, I would think.

Edited by Only My Unit

I'd say that the GBA Has a bit more of a classic feel and FE7 HHM is probably More difficult than FE10 Radiant Dawn Hard Mode (I'm a bit into challenge in a game, i must admit).

The Tellius Series has quite a nice Storyline though! The Gameplay is quite good here too. (I also like the fact that Each Element of Anima gets equal representation. I always found it weird how the GBA Fire Emblems would only have 7 or 8 Anima Tomes in the game, having quite different elements from one another)!

I would say that both the GBA Fire Emblems and FE9/FE10 Fire Emblems are quite good. You'll just have to leave it to preference, really.

Edited by Folgore Purple

I regard FE13 as far and away the best FE and my second favorite game overall. I really don't see much the other games have to match up to it at all; they all look so dull in comparison.

I regard FE13 as far and away the best FE and my second favorite game overall. I really don't see much the other games have to match up to it at all; they all look so dull in comparison.

i pretty much agree with this, everyone has their points of view but, the gba games were waaaay too cartoony in my opinion, and altho i have a few bones to pick with certain choices the art director took in 13 its much better, and it also took the re classing option and refined it into something much more streamlined. in my opinion its much harder than HHM almost giving thracia 776 a run for its money. it also adds a few new classes (personally im waiting for a bow-mage ). the GBA games were my least favorite games, they weren't bad, they were pretty fun, but were cartoony and lost the dark tones the last 2 games had.

I haven't played Awakening but while I see myself liking it better I can forsee some things that could be off-putting, that added with a love of the GBA games gives you... well...

Not to mention that she might dislike some of the "good" choices (i.e. Loves Hand Axes/Javelins and doesn't like how they were nerfed or feels the same way about FE13's Reclassing as a number of people do about FE11/12's version). But you know about that better than me.

FE13 does reclassing way better than FE11 ans 12, and while i liked both of those games, the reclassing was ok but could have been better. like how basically anyone couls be anyone in their class set so imo it made the characters even more generic in that anyone could be anything basically. in 13 every unit has certain classes they can change into, so its more personalized

of the new games this is my absolute favorite, gaiden still has a special place in my heart as the first FE game i ever played

It really is all about preference. I liked FE10 the best, then the GBA games, then FE9, then Shadow Dragon. I've only played the English games, but that list is a bit random. Some people care more about graphics, some like "worse" graphics, some care about plot and find different plots more interesting, different opinions on special features, blah blah blah... It just keeps going. You really can't say one game is definitely better, it's a matter of opinion. A lot of my friends forget what opinion is...

FE13 does reclassing way better than FE11 ans 12, and while i liked both of those games, the reclassing was ok but could have been better. like how basically anyone couls be anyone in their class set so imo it made the characters even more generic in that anyone could be anything basically. in 13 every unit has certain classes they can change into, so its more personalized

of the new games this is my absolute favorite, gaiden still has a special place in my heart as the first FE game i ever played

I know, you missed the point.

While I can see there might be the occasional complaint, the objectionable content in FE11/12 reclassing was completely obliterated in FE13. I imagine any complaints about FE13 reclassing would be at most 1% at frequent as the complaints about FE11/12 reclassing.

It ultimately comes down to preference, yes, but there are some places where FE13 clearly towers over the rest of the series. Aesthetically, for example, the game looks and sounds (especially sounds) superb. The double system is a huge step forward for the series in terms of mechanics, and the promotion system is a perfect hybrid of FE8 and FE11. The support system is better than ever, the return of the generation system is welcome, and the campaign is huge; this is easily the longest game in the series by a fairly wide margin.

There are some legitimate complaints, however. FE13's difficulty is all over the place, either being far too difficult (Lunatic+ earlygame) or else far too easy to break (anything involving Nosferatu, or Manaketes on Normal/Hard); this problem is compounded if, like me, you're not a particularly big fan of self-imposed challenge, since the game should provide the player with reasonable, built-in restrictions. The art style is notoriously love-or-hate. Apparently, the DLC's been somewhat disappointing so far, with DLC units simply sporting MU models, and no WiFi battling is a tad disappointing.

This game has a ton of supports, so I can't imagine the character development isn't at least on par with the GBA titles, but the plot could go either way. Seems like what the GBA games have to offer over FE13 boils down to a) "streamlined" / simplified gameplay, and b) rankings (FE7), if you're into that sort of thing. Not sure what else the GBA trilogy has going for it over Awakening.

Apparently, the DLC's been somewhat disappointing so far, with DLC units simply sporting MU models, and no WiFi battling is a tad disappointing.

The DLC units aren't that interesting, but the DLC as a whole is fantastic. The characters put a shiny face on the purchase, but the real content is the maps and items.

And yeah, rankings would have been nice. But that's something that's been missing from FE for a while. I know FE12 brought something back, but that was just one game. Odd that they wouldn't include them again, though.

Edited by Othin

Awakening has outsold all three GBA games in Japan so at least in that regard it is objectively better.

There are numerous factors to consider in sales, such as the availability of other titles, marketing, novelty of the game and system, and the like.

Shitty games, going by sales, can be objectively better than awesome games, if you pander to blind sales alone.

But Nocturne's friend could be one of those 1%, the absolute class purists, she could have the view that promotion should be the ONLY class change a unit should be capable of.

she liked GBA games better she says she doesnt feel fire emblem should be as dark as the story is in 13, and she also doesnt like the mag/melee hybrid units, says it messes up the feel of a game that is supposed to have mele units and magic units . to be fair she feels that way about other rpg games too. she also thinks its about damn time that a female was the main character without sharing the spotlight with her brother or lover( something i can agree with) she also dislikes how there is a shortage of caveliers in this game. she doesnt like re-classing at all.

put bluntly, we have different tastes, she did say that it was fun tho, and she thought double was an interesting addition, tho she said it makes some units too powerful and make it too easy

i was actually gonna do that, it will probly change her mind, i got to ch6 in lunatic with only krom and MU left, i also abused the fame bonuses to hire al my other MUs to make up the differences... im not restarting any chapters if a unit dies in my lunatic run(and im aware that i will miss out on great child units but dammit this mode is hard...)

She says she doesn't feel Fire Emblem should be as dark as the story is in 13.
Darkness in FE games isn't really anything new though.
And she also doesnt like the mag/melee hybrid units, saying it messes up the feel of a game that is supposed to have melee units and magic units.
Has she played Gaiden, Geneology of the Holy War, or Thracia 776 yet? Those games have Magic/Melee hybrid units too, so that's why I'm asking.
To be fair, she feels that way about other rpg games too.
Even one of the big name RPGs such as Final Fantasy I bet. (Having Melee/Magic hybrid units are practically a requirement in FFs 5 & 7 for instance if I recall correctly.)
She also dislikes how there is a shortage of caveliers in this game.
How many Cavaliers does she think is "too few"?
She doesnt like re-classing at all.
She's gonna have to reconsider she she hope to beat difficulties like Lunatic. Just saying.

Even one of the big name RPGs such as Final Fantasy I bet. (Having Melee/Magic hybrid units are practically a requirement in FFs 5 & 7 for instance if I recall correctly.)

Last time I played FFV, I got through with dedicated mages (two of them, no melee support). Haven't played VII in years though.

(on topic--I accept the person's comments as they're their comments)

This game has a ton of supports, so I can't imagine the character development isn't at least on par with the GBA titles, but the plot could go either way. Seems like what the GBA games have to offer over FE13 boils down to a) "streamlined" / simplified gameplay, and b) rankings (FE7), if you're into that sort of thing. Not sure what else the GBA trilogy has going for it over Awakening.

The supports in FE13 are arguably worse imo in terms of the dialogue because it blatantly panders to fans of shitty anime tropes and conventions, while the GBA trilogy doesn't do that so much. For example compare Igrene's supports where it goes into the loss of her child and her marriage to Tiamo mentioning for absolutely no reason how she feels sensitive about having small breasts.

For example compare Igrene's supports where it goes into the loss of her child and her marriage to Tiamo mentioning for absolutely no reason how she feels sensitive about having small breasts.

Huh... Because comparing completely different types of support makes sense. What about Serra and Erk just annoying each other until they somehow fall in love? That's anime all the way.