Samias's Art Stuff

Samias

All I have time to show off are some rough sketches of stuff. I haven't had time to work on my story lately *teardrop*

These are genderswaps of some of my characters, Lukas and Faizel, henceforth labeled "Lukia" and "Faizelle".

lukia_sketch_by_xyrafhoan-d5mkpbc.jpg

faizelle_sketch_by_xyrafhoan-d5mkpfl.jpg

And Karyna, as "Karl" I guess (even though I think that name is pretty blah)

karl__sketch_by_xyrafhoan-d5ml04a.jpg

Edited by Samias

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ First one

Oh man, he reminds me of two of the random ship captains I made up on the spot recently, Morse and the drunk captain.

@ Second one

I dunno what to say about this one. She's just all around cool. Should go'head and shade this one I think.

Yeah I enjoyed forcing myself to work on a scruffier, less perfect dude. I'm glad he comes across as being drunk and/or a little deranged. But recently I feel I have a cold coming on, as do a lot of my classmates, so I needed to work on a chill-out piece for a bit. This is just a fast 1h digital painting job, since I wanted to do something loose. it came out... okay. I'm not the best of painters but I like to try now and again.

She ended up a little walleyed sadly D; I have a hard time painting eyes, not to mention I halfassed the nose a little.

tumblr_mehgimvWTG1qixsfqo1_500.jpg

Edited by Samias

It's exciting to see you do something different digitally (and especially more since it aligns with what I do so I have something to say about it nyohoho), I'm digging the colors. Considering this is a really quick piece, I feel rather badly about critiquing it, but on the other hand, it's not like it's harmful either. The anatomy is a bit wonky, beyond being walleyed even, the left eye isn't really eye-shaped at all, it's pretty cartoony looking, and that isn't working particularly well with the other parts of the face being realistic. The shadow under her lip on the chin is kinda odd too, looks like she's got a dent in her face even though the shape of the head is correct. Did you reference anything for this?

I think you should try painting more maybe after the semester ends~ If you're interested, I bet you could do it really well with a bit more practice!

I'm thankful I've got a digital painting class next semester. We'll be doing environments and whatnot then too, so I'll be able to finish that Ike and Soren picture I was working on way back when.

Anyway, I agree, there's some funny shading under the lip, and the eyes were definitely exaggerated to match how I normally draw her... but that isn't exactly a realistic face. I didn't reference any real people, I only thought back to how to make her look like a specific character, which probably explains the uncanny eyes. Part of the problem is not only the shape, but the depth, as I placed them a little shallow on the face. I should have make the eyelids tuck in deeper, but because I didn't, the eyes just kind of look stuck on to the face and a little artificial. When I cover up the eyes, the whole picture looks a whole lot better, but alas, I won't get better if I don't practice a lot more. I had this issue in my last painting (among other things), but I've definitely been able to work faster and with more assertive shading than before.

Well, in the vein of challenging myself to do things different from my usual "pipeline" (instead of doing schoolwork due this week HAHAHAHA) I did a little bit of fixing up of the portrait from last week and also indulged in some quick fanart that turned out... okay. I changed up my usual production style, which in some ways is faster than usual, but my results are less consistent since I'm obviously more experienced with lineart and cartoons than I am with loose and rough paints.

I'm going overboard with the highlights and into magical kawaii eye territory, which is different from before and yet equally scary.

painting_practice___samiya_by_xyrafhoan-d5nf67z.jpg

elincia__princess_crimea_by_xyrafhoan-d5nfxhm.jpg

Edited by Samias

So I caught a cold and had to furiously catch up on homework, drawing 50 or so boards a day to finish just one assignment. My hand is a sweaty pile of goop right now but overall, it was worth it. I actually had to ask for a few hours extension and today I have been drawing for 10 hours straight without even a meal break to make sure this got done by tonight.

My storyboard is in pdf format, but when I get around to doing the sound effects and voices, I'll put it up on Youtube as an animatic. \o/ Too bad I didn't record my rambling old man rant during my auditory rendition of the dialogue in class.

Final rough board - The Rodaria Trials Begin

Wait wait wait.. WHAT HAPPENS?! NooooOOoO! I need to know~~!

I really like flipping through the pages and it seeming like a real animation! *drool* I still really like how fluid and expressive all your characters are.

How long will this animation going to be in the end? Is the project due at the end of the year (May)?

I wish I had the patience to animate things. I still dream abotu one day animating ONE thing to music to make a short music video, but alas!

I don't think I have the stomach to animate the whole thing. But it'll be in video form later this week and I might clean it up for demo reel purposes.

When I exported this some things went crazy that aren't actually happening in the file o_O but it's animated gif time! I still need to fix the feet and um... a lot of stuff actually :|

[spoiler=Why is Flash so bad at exporting? (UPDATED WITH LESS BUGGY EXPORT EXCEPT NOW IT'S TOO FAST OH WELL)]

marithgif.gif

Edited by Samias

Oh neat. I have never managed to befriend Flash. I always get into nasty arguments with it about what should be looping and when.

The motion seems a little forced? Like he's pushing himself down, rather than just dropping down with gravity. If that wasn't the intended effect, maybe slow down the drop part of the bounce sequence a bit? That would probably smooth it out.

also for some reason the back of the top of his head looks like a loaf of bread but that's probably just me

I think a lot of the problem is in the legs, which have less frames than the arms, plus I haven't offset any actions yet. Overall I think he needs more frames going up because the spacing is quite equal right now. Flash is just a pain in the ass sometimes ;_; but this is basically my project for the next 6 months until it's a working interactive sequence.

Also in a higher res his hair looks less bread-like. It's a hairband thing he's got.

I must say I adore that sprite.

The animated flash one is really dang cool though, I've tried to make an idle animation multiple times and it's just...wahhhg. I kind of feel like the sword is moving up and down a bit too much? And the leg armor on the right side of him looks like it slips down his leg every time it loops. I think you could get away with making this animation a bit more subtle :u I'm no expert on animation though, it's soo hard. I went through a few fighting games trying to find a similar animation but I can't seem to find any, which is funny because yours is a lot more practical than what I've been seeing.

[spoiler=closest I can think of right now]

KyKiske.gif

And this is just ridiculous looking haha (this is a sped up version of it)

Haha yeah it's way too up and down so I tried to make it more subtle. It's... um... ;_;

Let's just say I'm gonna have a lot of padding in my project so I don't actually have to show my terrible animating skills...

marithgif3.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slacking off and playing video games I'm REQUESTING THINGS TO DRAW WHILE I GO ON VACATION TO TROPICAL PLACES.

It can be anything, but if it's going to be non-fanart then please give me a detailed description.

cevy01.jpg

terrafhoan-sketch.jpg

Edited by Samias

Ooohhhh, fellow RO player~ I have a request, if it's not too much trouble?

Since you've been around, I'm sure you'll know. Male High Priest w/ Generico Hair Style #1 + Monocle, featuring a #8a83d4 color theme (if filled...dunno how ambitious you are). Something beyond plain ol' standing position....because I am having the hardest time getting anything beyond that.

In return....I dunno, I can do something for you maybe eventually?

Also Christmas Sketchdump is FABULOUS. Top row, 3rd over, you have that leaning post really well done. 2nd row, 2nd over/3rd over is vaguely reminiscent of Disney

Edited by Elieson

I love art trades! If anyone wants to initiate a trade they can probably point out a character of mine that they like the most <3

I managed to fit in two sketches into my leveling schedule. I might be slightly insane and leveled my blacksmith from level 95/50 -> 96/66 trans in 2 days. Solo. I think I need to step away from the keyboard for a bit eeehhhehehe good thing I asked for this.

This one's for Elieson, my apologies to anyone who doesn't understand the RO jokes ;_;

forelieson.jpg

And this is Phoenix's Nyx!

forphoenix-nyx.jpg