Samias's Art Stuff

Samias

(late post cause I didn't wanna spam)

The arms were kinda not though about on that girl. I was just redrawing an oooolllld design (like 2005 old) for the heck of it XD so I did a quite doodle.

tumblr_mj85plZMGq1qixsfqo1_500.jpg

It's this cute girl again. She anchors like everyone else in the story by not being driven by testosterone and manliness. Profile-less and not cut off here.

Also a super special reply #200 bonus!

[spoiler=My work steps (super long image)]

katrin-process.png

Edited by Samias

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah so that's how you do it. That is a bonus :):

I notice you repositioned the feet toward the end. The pose was looking more noticeably unnatural once more details were there. The finished product looks really great though, almost like she's just stumbled onto a giant panda judging by her expression.

Yeah I stopped and asked for advice and someone pointed out the back foot was looking wonky. I tried to move it around and then I scrapped the legs in their entirety and did them over. The sleeve and the staff both received some minor changes as well.

Folds are a painstaking process of hard and soft shading to create contrast. I'm not the greatest at super realistic cloth but I've gotten a lot of advice from people who are better artists than me. I have some corrections to do on that one too so I'll get around to it someday. I was trying to put together another character but the pose was driving me nuts and wasn't looking good so I threw some stuff together and created a... something. XD.

tumblr_mjd4gpVJQl1qixsfqo1_1280.png

Hmm, it doesn't look very 'real' I want to say. Might be her expression too since she's doing an aggressive pose with no fire in eyes or even a hint of aggression. that or she's a happy-time slasher *shivers* It might look better if her expression was different and her limbs were a bit more tense.

Heh, the shading is just me dicking around and she had a pretty cheery happy face that is now obscured by ultra black shading. That said, the pose went through many atrocities and this is the "nicest" version of which I'll just weep when I look at it for all the time it ate up compared to more productive things I should have been doing. In a similar vein, I spent time last night doing a quick prompt sketch of "a bunch of dudes playing poker". I tried drawing some familiar guys but I screwed them up, but I still like the composition of the picture as wrong as it is in some places.

tumblr_mjd8azQcOG1qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

Oh man, I'm busy putting together test pages for my grad and working on a fight scene storyboard that is pretty time consuming uunnghh but I managed to squeeze out some sketches x_x and I also subtly shaded that picture of Olivia from over a month ago! I'm also putting together an art sale at my school of stickers and buttons and stuff.

tumblr_mjiuot7ZDV1qixsfqo1_1280.png

tumblr_mjmujrJLu01qixsfqo1_r1_1280.png

queen-daemon.jpg

That Olivia's looking swell!

The only thing I'm unsure about is her left leg since the knee faces inward but the foot faces outward? Sweet otherwise, though!

btw i particularly really like that poker drawing like dang

liking those expressions and poses!

That Olivia's looking swell!

The only thing I'm unsure about is her left leg since the knee faces inward but the foot faces outward? Sweet otherwise, though!

btw i particularly really like that poker drawing like dang

liking those expressions and poses!

Thank you~ Part of that bump isn't entirely her knee. It's facing forward and that's kind of the side of her knee but I see what you mean, especially since it's not particularly detailed there.

New (Cause I was pretty sure you drew one already) Olivia looks gorgeous~ I love it.

It's just old Olivia but shaded and with a face change!

Ha ha. Astra linked me over here because of that Olivia picture...

Even though somehow it linked me to page 10

Hopefully up to your standards?

@ Olivia

Finally shaded~

@ Second pic

Nice armor. Seems like she asked you to autograph her shield too :lol:

@ Third pic

Reminds me of DA2 Flemeth for some reason. Pretty cool.

The armored lady in the 2nd pic is my own redesign of a crappy underdressed royal guard from Ragnarok Online. The original design is dumb :( the 3rd one is a disguise for a certain character~

Anyhoo, more junk... some of it... just... so junky XD I NEED SLEEP UNGH WHAT AM I EVEN DOING

tumblr_mjogjkhcnA1qixsfqo1_1280.png

My RO character, designed my way because again, the official art is terrible!!

[spoiler=major derp for my own amusement and self-loathing]

tumblr_mjouhcz2u11s8o79no1_1280.jpg

Well, I think the blacksmith line has been pretty consistent. Mastersmiths have a really nice, clear progression from blacksmiths and clean up some of the sloppy work on the top of the female, whereas the men's half-shirt + suspenders has grown on me and is fun to draw. I like the alchemist -> biochemist transition a little less, but the biochems have really nice colours and the female is somewhat trivial to redesign to my liking, because the sprite is really lovely and cute. The males are functional though their colours are a *little* dull.

3rd classes, now...

Mechanics are actually one of the better sprites. It's a radical style departure from blacksmith/mastersmith with regards to the colour and armor but it handily reflects the direction their skills are going and the sprites are pretty cleanly detailed with not too much junk going on.

This is where geneticists reaaaally suffer. Clearly they are an evolution from alchemists/biochemists but their bottoms of the female sprite are clearly battle panties and the official art has this weird pleated skirt with teeth coming out of it. There's a lot of detail on both the male and female, but it's really UGLY detail, like uuugghhhh. There are some good bits about them but it's generally awash in the horribleness of their torso area of both the male and female. They completely ejected all the classiness out of the class. I bought back a lot of coverage into the female's dress, and same with the male, whose suddenly exposed midriff in a sea of teeth is just fugly.

I redrew the male too, removing like SO MUCH until his outfit more or less made sense to me, though I could have detailed the pants a little better.

tumblr_mjprypBy7U1qixsfqo1_500.png

@shadowofchaos: I don't mind at all 8D I'm honestly happy if people save my stuff and pass it around. I'm trying to get into the habit of signing my work so people can search me out later if they find my stuff from other sources, to be honest.

Thank you for agreeing with me on Genetics. I really liked the direction Creators went, but Genetics put far too much clutter on a limited sprite, and it just didnt fit well at all.

Sorta makes me thing back to the priest line. High Priest had a fair balance, but ArchBishop (both genders) seemed just a tad too bulky for the class that they are.

Quistis Trepe? o:

All of your artwork was a pleasure to view. So much variety~

Not Quistis, but maaan I love that type of character XD the similarity was unintentional though.

Thank you for agreeing with me on Genetics. I really liked the direction Creators went, but Genetics put far too much clutter on a limited sprite, and it just didnt fit well at all.

Sorta makes me thing back to the priest line. High Priest had a fair balance, but ArchBishop (both genders) seemed just a tad too bulky for the class that they are.

I think the detail on the characters of the archbishop is alright, but badly sprited, especially on the male. The spriters were really lazy with the hanging cloth if you ask me. He could actually use a belt to break up top and bottom! The female has a boob window and a mudflap front which is kinda eh but compared to what they did to other classes... this is nearly acceptable :/ but it's nothing dramatically awful like the male GX (wtf those spikes and posture?), sorcerers (obvious scholar edit for the male, the death sprite is even missing the bottom half of the outfit), or geneticists of both genders.

lol i c u with ur Saber[3]

one of my favourite weapons 8D

I'm still busy but here is a thing!

[spoiler=large sequential images]

CDtSi5R.jpg

bq6ropD.jpg

bSS2Pk2.jpg

fvdxQJZ.jpg

i4Pc7jE.jpg

WPaTIf8.jpg

4Q7HxlK.jpg

Jp71HlH.jpg

aiLIR6j.jpg

R7f8kt6.jpg

[spoiler=lowcut tops]tumblr_mjvljtADH81qixsfqo1_500.png

[spoiler=WIP - improving old art]

tumblr_mjxnlp13LU1s8o79no1_500.jpg

I hope that Kamina guy*shot* isn't a bad guy lol

Also, I think I know who miss low tops might be a disguise for ... maybe. Could be wrong though, I mean she doesn't look all that crazy.

Your hunch is probably correct!

tumblr_mjzupkcgCW1qixsfqo1_r3_1280.png

What started out as a small undertaking inflated into a massive overhaul.

Edit: fixed some mess I made when I was prepping this

Edited by Samias

I have a sweet treat and that is a RL friend of mine drawing one of my characters yay~ She is awesome at art like x1000. Seriously.

tumblr_mk6ybfokzn1s56mpgo1_500.jpg

Credit goes to Sun.

Aaaand I have some stuff of my own too!

tumblr_mk1gnay4SS1qixsfqo1_500.jpg

Sorta kinda Nobunaga XD not really! But I was watching Kagemusha and I really wanted to draw Nobunaga's outfit so I whipped this up in like 3 minutes.

tumblr_mk2p0aHTEf1qixsfqo1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mk2r2oFc1i1qixsfqo1_1280.png

tumblr_mk74kzoMx41qixsfqo1_1280.png

Not really much new stuff. Instead I've cleaned up (sort of...) and coloured new stuff.