Yggdra Union

Gold Vanguard

By balance they mean doable because holy hell is the GBA version unforgiving.

Do not fret because the PSP's Hard mode is basically the same difficulty as the GBA one.

It's one of my favorite games for a reason. The learning curve is steep, but one you figure out how to fully utilize everything, you can pull some seriously funny things. I have a runthrough of Yggdra Union somewhere on this forum, so read it if you're interested~!

Yeah, probably get it, it's a good game.

But holy damn is the GBA version hard. So, if you're in the mood for a tactical challenge, this game is for you.

The only gba game I found god damn hard. Make a mistake in map 1 and you will regret it in map 7...that is how the game is. But I still able to clear the game because it is a good game.

I never got into the game personally, I guess because of how "hard" it is. But personally, it didn't feel hard the first time I played it--it felt unexplained. Like I was being dropped in some complex, in-progress system and told to run with it without actually being introduced to it. I couldn't get into the game; playing it was a chore, more than enjoyable.

I never felt like I missed out on it :/

Edited by Celice

I never got into the game personally, I guess because of how "hard" it is. But personally, it didn't feel hard the first time I played it--it felt unexplained. Like I was being dropped in some complex, in-progress system and told to run with it without actually being introduced to it. I couldn't get into the game; playing it was a chore, more than enjoyable.

I never felt like I missed out on it :/

I remember how it conveniently doesn't tell you what any of the stats actually mean.

I think I could've played the PSP version with the healing between maps, but GBA was just... no.

Well yeah, how many ways are there to heal in the GBA version? Items. And... ...that's it.

This means that any damage taken is basically permanent.

Which is all the worse in those cases where avoiding damage isn't possible by any means. CANNONSSSSSSSSS

Well yeah, how many ways are there to heal in the GBA version? Items. And... ...that's it.

This means that any damage taken is basically permanent.

Which is all the worse in those cases where avoiding damage isn't possible by any means. CANNONSSSSSSSSS

There's even a battlefield where you HAVE to get hit by the cannon a fixed number of times in order to progress.

I played a few chs of Yggdra Union. I don't think I lost battles, but I kinda never got back to it. I just felt like I had no conception of what was going on in terms of gameplay.

Riviera is pretty simple to get a handle on, so I liked that; some aspects of KitN's gameplay (well, anything related to stats of weapons or characters) seems convoluted, but I still felt from the start like I had a better idea of wtf I was doing, and aside from the "trap" attacks of the wizards/priests the basic system was pretty simple but fun to use in practice.

Edited by Hawkeye Hank Hatfield

I'm the opposite: I hated dodging things in KitN, and preferred the static movement of Yggdra Union. It's complicated, but I think it's about right. If you want to see what too complicated looks like, play Gungnir (next Dept. Heaven game).

I'm the opposite: I hated dodging things in KitN, and preferred the static movement of Yggdra Union. It's complicated, but I think it's about right. If you want to see what too complicated looks like, play Gungnir (next Dept. Heaven game).

I dunno if yggdra was complicated at the poinit I stopped playing. I probably will take another look sometime.

When I got later in the game (KitN), I didn't like how a lot of the non boss battle enemies seemed to just use the same attack patterns, IIEC. I did like the boss battles still. I didn't finish the game and don't have it anymore, unfortunately, so I only got about 35 chs through.

Once I get a PSP I'll look into Gungnir.

Yeah, probably get it, it's a good game.

But holy damn is the GBA version hard. So, if you're in the mood for a tactical challenge, this game is for you.

It's only hard because you have to find invisible items on a big map without wasting enough cards to get a Game Over. If you don't find any items, you won't be able to recover morale (which is like HP). I only managed to get through this on my first play-through by save/load stating like crazy. XD

But I recommend the game. Nice story, gameplay (although it's a bit tricky on the beginning), graphics and music (they're awesome in the PSP version, but average in the GBA version) made it one of my favorites, and I hate the fact that Blaze Union and Yggdra Unison weren't released overseas.

I wish Blaze Union and Gloria Union are translated...

Isn't Gloria Union being translated? I think I read about this somewhere in siliconera, but I could be wrong. >:

Edited by Rapier

PSP: Leave the tutorials on for the first few chapters. There's a lot to learn, but things get unlocked slowly. Right now, cards are used for movement and inflicting Morale damage only; get used to that first.

GBA: Good luck!

PSP: Leave the tutorials on for the first few chapters. There's a lot to learn, but things get unlocked slowly. Right now, cards are used for movement and inflicting Morale damage only; get used to that first.

GBA: Good luck!

The same applies to the GBA version, but you'll need to find hidden items on the chapters without losing for lack of cards because that's the only way your chars will regain HP (Morale in the game). You could just use a FAQ for that. And save states help a lot, so it shouldn't be that hard.

Good luck, though. =P