What video game has the worst fanbase?

Gold Vanguard

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst fanbase is, USUALLY, your favorite fanbase (as in, the one you're most involved in).

8]

>pairings

oh gog why do you take it so seriously

they're videogame characters

The same reason we take everything else so seriously and possibly up the booty ya noob.

Imma say Touhou. Most of the fandom sickens me, I think most of them are there for the yuri and other stupid junk.

It's not really that most of them are there for the yuri potential, I for one not that you care but got into it after seeing it so many times over at TVTropes, and I wanted to see what the hype was about, and it's still one of the reasons I play it. Also, that is another thing, the fact that the only way to play one of them in the west is either buying the games or pirating them, and seeing as how some people don't like pirating... yeah. The only way they can learn about that is by either stumbling upon it through fandom stuff, videos of gameplay or remixes on youtube, or being unfortunate enough to find one of the more.... risque doujins. I will also add that there is MUCH flanderization in the character's personalities in fan works, and that contributes to the (shall we say) misinforming of possible fans about the personalities, although that isn't to say that canon isn't helping on that front either, (let's see, in Undefined Fantastic Object, Reimu sets out for the flying ship either because she is worried for the people, or she

sets out in hopes of recieving money for stopping the ship. Two very different interpretations in one game, no wonder the fandom is so confused about Reimu.) Really the only way i think that the fandom is sick in the fact that they murder character interpretations. I would put one of my least favorite targets of this, but i'm running out of time, so i'll do it tommorow

8]

The same reason we take everything else so seriously and possibly up the booty ya noob.

This.

Also, I'm an Ike fangirl who pairs him with Elincia. I hear that most Ike fangirls put him with Soren. But I've met a few other Ike fangirls who don't. And they all put him with Elincia. :D

Just have to point something out. Most of the "IkexSoren" fans are Soren fangirls, not Ike fangirls. They don't care about the possibility that Ike is better with someone else, they care that Ike is the best for Soren in their interpretation. They see Soren's devotion to Ike and want Ike to have an equal level of devotion back.

I personally would like to see more confirmed gay characters in games, but I'm heavily biased.

On topic, I have never understood the Square-Enix fanbase. They are fucking insane.

Well, I guess this belongs in the new OTP thread but since the things I'm replying to are here, I'll say it here. Let me know if I should move it.

Huh. I must be a rare specimen then, because if I had to choose between yaoi and yuri, I'd go with yuri and I'm a girl. I just find a guy loving/kissing another guy more unappealing than a girl doing the same thing with another girl.

Really? I must say I'm slightly surprised since you seem to like guys. Of course I know all that means is that you would ship yuri for non-sexual reasons (I would know as a straight guy who likes certain yaoi pairings) but I just find it slightly suprising... And I guess I just had you pegged as a "het" fan because of your IkeXElincia. :P

Just have to point something out. Most of the "IkexSoren" fans are Soren fangirls, not Ike fangirls. They don't care about the possibility that Ike is better with someone else, they care that Ike is the best for Soren in their interpretation. They see Soren's devotion to Ike and want Ike to have an equal level of devotion back.

That, I think has two big reasons behind it:

1) More subtext for Soren liking Ike than the other way around, which you kinda mentioned.

2) Ike has many potential sane or semi-sane (i.e. not crack) pairings, but this is pretty much Soren's only non-crack ship.

I personally would like to see more confirmed gay characters in games, but I'm heavily biased.

Hai, Soren fangirl here. In my case, this is not actually so. I actually prefer them to be more like Heterosexual Life Partners than...the other way. While i dont have a problem with the other way, thats just how i prefer to see it. Mostly because Ike seems so...asexual.

Really? I must say I'm slightly surprised since you seem to like guys. Of course I know all that means is that you would ship yuri for non-sexual reasons (I would know as a straight guy who likes certain yaoi pairings) but I just find it slightly suprising... And I guess I just had you pegged as a "het" fan because of your IkeXElincia. :P

Huh? I don't understand. I'm romantically interested in men, so that means I have to like yaoi? That makes no sense to me. Also, yes, I do ship only heterosexual pairings and that's because I dislike yaoi and yuri. Also, while I am interested in men, I am not interested in them sexually (not that I'd ever want sex anyway, though. I refuse to do it). I think male...parts just look gross. I'd rather they kept their pants on. They can be shirtless though, especially if they have muscles. <3

Really? I've never heard this before. But if that's true, then great. I don't want to meet a bunch of Ike fangirls who pair him with Soren. xP

Huh? I don't understand. I'm romantically interested in men, so that means I have to like yaoi?

No, it just means liking yaoi would be more likely than liking yuri really. :P It doesn't mean that at all.

Also, yes, I do ship only heterosexual pairings and that's because I dislike yaoi and yuri.

Ah, fits with the first impression!

Also, while I am interested in men, I am not interested in them sexually (not that I'd ever want sex anyway, though. I refuse to do it). I think male...parts just look gross. I'd rather they kept their pants on. They can be shirtless though, especially if they have muscles. <3

Would that be part of the reasoning behind your preferences then?

No, it just means liking yaoi would be more likely than liking yuri really. :P It doesn't mean that at all.

Oh, I see. My bad.

Ah, fits with the first impression!

Indeed, it does.

Would that be part of the reasoning behind your preferences then?

Probably, yeah.

I don't dislike yaoi and yuri in themselves. What I dislike is people running away with it and interpreting every little thing between two characters as, "OMG they in true luuuuuurve" or making characters gay or lesbian just to suit their purposes when they are clearly not. Romance between two characters who are both confirmed to be gay/lesbian/bisexual and are interested in each other should be considered as natural as two heterosexual characters who are into each other.

I guess what I'm saying in regards to pairings is that yaoi, yuri, or hetero romances all have to make sense to me in regards to the character. In other words, I dislike pairings that either make no sense or has a fanbase so rabid that they're "delusional" and interpret everything in the book/game/what-have-you to fit their shipping needs in blatant disregard to the author's own words.

And really, I think pairings bring out the worse in a fanbase a lot of the time. Not always, of course, but in a significant portion of them. :/

I don't dislike yaoi and yuri in themselves. What I dislike is people running away with it and interpreting every little thing between two characters as, "OMG they in true luuuuuurve" or making characters gay or lesbian just to suit their purposes when they are clearly not. Romance between two characters who are both confirmed to be gay/lesbian/bisexual and are interested in each other should be considered as natural as two heterosexual characters who are into each other.

I guess what I'm saying in regards to pairings is that yaoi, yuri, or hetero romances all have to make sense to me in regards to the character. In other words, I dislike pairings that either make no sense or has a fanbase so rabid that they're "delusional" and interpret everything in the book/game/what-have-you to fit their shipping needs in blatant disregard to the author's own words.

And really, I think pairings bring out the worse in a fanbase a lot of the time. Not always, of course, but in a significant portion of them. :/

*Not sure if same person as me or...*

Srsly...we have a brain link, Boron. Its getting scary. Fucken a.

See, im down with any kind of pairing IF IT MAKES BLOODY SENSE!!! Its gotta be in-character for the subjects involved! Its why Ike/Soren (romantic) doesnt bug me. Because it could happen!

Srsly, the Whomping Willow and the Ford Anglia in Harry Potter make more sense than say something like Sonic/Knuckles or some junk! Faaaack.

Also when people go nuts with yaoi/yuri, i get...angry.

Exactly. There were good friends at the most.Nothing more,nothing less.

Well, I do think it's possible that Soren is gay for Ike. But not vice versa. However, I still agree that the pairing doesn't make sense because Ike simply treats Soren like a best friend.

Edited by Anacybele

• 4 months later...

I'm gonna counter this shipping war with my POSITIVITY POWERS!

I think the best video game fandom i've been in is Final Fantasy 12/Tactics/Revenant Wings (ivalice fandom). Suikoden is kind of like what you say about Breath of Fire, the nice fans of a dying series. If you can dodge the occasional yaoi.dry.gif

and for the sake of being on topic, Sonic and Final Fantasy 7. nuff said.