New "Bad" spriter in town

Mikado

Hi, so I'm learning how to sprite for my hack and I want to know if this mug is good. Mabye I'll post some more once I'm done with them.

[spoiler=THE HORROR]newadammug.png

So what do you think? Good? Bad? Eh?

Unless he doesn't want to.

OP, ignore this man because starting with splicing is your best bet. He's probably going to respond with "BUT I STARTED WITH CUSTOMING" and it works for some people, but it's not working for you.

Not sure if trolling or legitimately awful.

Depends on their response to all this.

Thanks.

Sorry for burning your eyes with the awful mug, I just want to prove my friend wrong. He's a professional artist and he said I have no confidence and I want to know what you guys think.

Once again, sorry for the mug. sweatdrop.gif

He's kind of right, with the no confidence thing. However, one can be. . .uh, not that great, and still lack confidence. It's not a matter of how you start, it's a matter of where you want to be, and what steps you take to get there. A lack of confidence means that you're less likely to take the first step - or the next.

If you can't figure out if that sprite is good or bad on your own, then I recommend you give up trying to learn to sprite.

Not sure if trolling or legitimately awful.

I really hate responses like this because its like "If you dont know wtf you are doing, stop doing it!" and thats not right. While the mug is..really awful, its obviously because the creator has no real experience. All the replies going "Yo, start with splicing" are good ones because...well its true. Everyone has to start somewhere. Some try customing first and it doesnt work out. Then they try splicing and get good at it and move to customing.

It's the internet, mate. You get weirdoes and trolls all the time trying to be fresh.

Until you figure out whether they're actually trying to be serious or not, you can't take them seriously. :E

That being said, glad this is cleared up. But yeah, walk before run and all that.

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

With everything settled I would say, don't worry about if you're not good at spriting or not now. You just need to start smaller and then develop.

Example:

I started like this:

zeromug.pngrikusplice.png

And ended up like this:

ethani.pngweek56product.png

• 2 weeks later...

OP, ignore this man because starting with splicing is your best bet. He's probably going to respond with "BUT I STARTED WITH CUSTOMING" and it works for some people, but it's not working for you.

Uhh no, no one is ever going to "start good at custom-ing", they improve by doing.

You'd better shut your mouth with your "ignore this guy", because I'm clearly better than you.

...and you probably sprite more often than I do.

Edited by ಠ_ಠ

You'd better shut your mouth with your "ignore this guy", because I'm clearly better than you.

Wpzj.png

This is both subjective and completely not the point, the amount of people that started with customing and advanced in spriting are few, and for the majority of people it's easier to start with splicing. I say to ignore you because you tend to always post that "If they want to start with customing they can" when this rarely works.

You can say they can do whatever they want, and they can, but if they want an easier time in this, they should start with splicing. I'm glad that you started with customing, and I'm glad it worked out for you.

Might wanna step off your high horse there, bud.

Edited by seph1212

Uhh no, no one is ever going to "start good at custom-ing", they improve by doing.

Completely unnecessary. Seph didn't really say anything hostile, he just stated a very true fact: it is easier for most to start with splicing. Yet you responded in a snarky manner with the intention of only insulting(or so it seems).

I personally feel that your reply was disrespectful.

Should you both want to keep bickering then do so via personal messenger because I will not tolerate it here. Likewise, do not bother responding to this post with a retort (goes for both of you).

eCut~

Edited by eCut

eCut, go read the rules.

This is both subjective and completely not the point, the amount of people that started with customing and advanced in spriting are few, and for the majority of BLAH BLAH BLAH

You're completely missing the point. I'm not telling him to start with customs, I'm saying that you or anyone else shouldn't just order the guy to "start with splicing", you suggest it. He's a newbie, and he's most likely gonna listen. I'm NOT putting down the idea of starting with splicing.

Telling someone to ignore me? I'm not gonna stand for that. Obviously, you think what you say goes, but I don't care how much favoritism you've gained here. You're not funny, btw.

Completely unnecessary. Seph didn't really say anything hostile, he just stated a very true fact: it is easier for most to start with splicing. Yet you responded in a snarky manner with the intention of only insulting(or so it seems).

I personally feel that your reply was disrespectful.

Should you both want to keep bickering then do so via personal messenger because I will not tolerate it here. Likewise, do not bother responding to this post with a retort (goes for both of you).

eCut~

Not trying to sound like our good friend boney, but did you read any of the earlier posts? THOSE WERE HOSTILE. Please, be fair when modding. Also, Boney does indeed have a point. He has basic structure down, so instead of discouraging him from spriting altogether, why not try and build his confidence with something more polite like "It's not the greatest. Maybe try something easier, like splicing mugs from the original game down and partially customising it before you create a completely full custom sprite." That is a lot more encouraging, AND helpful. In the case that you are trying to discourage him, It'd be better if you just said nothing at all.

I started out making things like this. Saria-v9.png

Believe it or not, that's a splice of Nino, Lilina, and a couple other things.

And now I can make things like this. NuBenFormat.pngNuRavenFormat-1.png

Ben is half splice, Raven is full custom.

As people know, I usually don't take advice from others unless I really want it. I went from Saria to Ben and Raven on little more than practice, repetition, and endless hours of hard work. Other spriters aren't going to be able to develop their abilities if elitist trolls keep scaring them away by acting mean and scornful. I only developed by being too stubborn to run away.

Unless the "Elite" spriters change their attitudes, they'll do nothing but hasten the death of the FE fanbase. You need to foster the ability of new spriters.

True or not, eCut, Seph always speaks with snide and derisive undertones in his comments. He implies the most by saying the least, and knows he can get away with provoking and aggravating people this way because he's not technically saying anything flamey or baitey.

Edited by The Illusive Man

And now I can make things like this. NuBenFormat.pngNuRavenFormat-1.png

And the message here is that if you don't take critique you will hit your cap very early and fairly low.

I think that's my cue to put this thread to rest. I have to apologize to Passive Knight, but it seems a few people who can't play nice together decided to turn this into their own person wankfest. I'm not sure if I'm going to hand out any warns here or if I'm going to delegate that to some of the other mods.