FEditor Animations V2

fuzz94

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any of CIPHER_LEE's animations hanging around? I used to have his Greil scripted, but I had to wipe my computer before I ever got the chance to post it (that was probably a year ago).

shadowofchaos might have his Caineghis somewhere.

You mean this?

Note: Only works with old FEditor.

I have every animation package/fix in my dropbox that I feel has a reason to be saved. Which is why I shouldn't be in charge of this thread because that would "probably hurt other people's feelings" because I'll refuse to include it in the list/table.

For example, Lilina's animation doesn't need to be there, because the long haired mage animation can simply be fixed a bit to fix the cape frames and/or take out the rune command.

Same with the Female shaman, except without the rune problem.

Edited by shadowofchaos

If I recall, SoC, don't you have (I think it was Dei's) Lord Ike as well? And what's wrong with the Caineghis package? Is it too long or something? I know I had that error when I tried using the full sheet of Greil's so I had to shorten it :x

EDIT: Harumph. Maybe it was Lawliet who had a video of Ike on his channel... Yeargh!! I forget.

Edited by Sai

If I recall, SoC, don't you have (I think it was Dei's) Lord Ike as well? And what's wrong with the Caineghis package? Is it too long or something? I know I had that error when I tried using the full sheet of Greil's so I had to shorten it :x

EDIT: Harumph. Maybe it was Lawliet who had a video of Ike on his channel... Yeargh!! I forget.

Nope. I don't have Dei's Ike scripted. And it has the "OAM data overflow error" for Caineghis.

Nope. I don't have Dei's Ike scripted. And it has the "OAM data overflow error" for Caineghis.

I think that's too long... But then again I haven't written one of those scripts in maybe a year. Such a shame, it was really smooth and good-looking. Like cake.

I'm guessing FEditor has a less efficient image "chunk" cutter than IS... which is to be expected since Hextator made it from scratch. Or is that the CSA system?

Animations that take up a lot of "space" with their chunks that require more OAM data like Falcoknight animations seem to be able to be rendered only by the old FEditor, despite remaking the frames and frame timings exactly as the old Falcoknight (This happened with Dei's Black Beauty Falcoknight package).

The same goes for animations like the female shaman... how Marky described it... so he couldn't remake the critical like it was. However, I guess I'll just fix it with the regular ripped animation if people need it.

Tomorrow or Thursday. After I'm done with my CS classes for the week.

zahlman did some work with the custom animation part, I remember him talking about it. If you look at the way IS did it, it's a lot more complex than just storing the tiles and whatnot, a lot of the time the sprites are kept separated and then sort of glued together later...

Like if you take a look at the male shaman's graphics sheets, a lot of the frames have the cape kept separate from the rest of his body, and they're put back together somewhere in the process of the animation.

FEditor usually just splits each frame into 8x8 tiles, checks if it already has each tile, and if it doesn't, it adds them in. That's how I understand it to work, anyway.

*doesn't really know anything about FEditor, just makes observations based on the sheets it dispenses*

I'm guessing FEditor has a less efficient image "chunk" cutter than IS... which is to be expected since Hextator made it from scratch. Or is that the CSA system?

IS doesn't have a "chunk cutter" at all; they (presumably) made the animations from sprites that they repositioned (and could even scale and rotate) instead of drawing it all out and then expecting a bunch of code to detect "chunks" and "cut" them.

Animations that take up a lot of "space" with their chunks that require more OAM data like Falcoknight animations seem to be able to be rendered only by the old FEditor, despite remaking the frames and frame timings exactly as the old Falcoknight (This happened with Dei's Black Beauty Falcoknight package).

I think what happened is that older versions would copy all the data verbatim if you didn't change anything, but newer versions somehow end up "rendering" it all and then cutting it up again, which borks it size-wise.

zahlman did some work with the custom animation part, I remember him talking about it. If you look at the way IS did it, it's a lot more complex than just storing the tiles and whatnot, a lot of the time the sprites are kept separated and then sort of glued together later...

I did some research. If I'd actually gotten around to doing work, then FEditor wouldn't suck like this. I mean, yeah, I cleaned up Hex's code a bunch, but I had way loftier aspirations at one point that were never realized because the project seemed to be... decaying, and neither of us wanted to work on it anymore.

Like if you take a look at the male shaman's graphics sheets, a lot of the frames have the cape kept separate from the rest of his body, and they're put back together somewhere in the process of the animation.

Yeah, there are animations where the character's cape ruffles in the wind and... it's totally haxxed together for no good reason, IIRC. Hex was telling me something about tracking down a special code in the animation engine for it and I was WTFing that it would be necessary in the first place.

FEditor usually just splits each frame into 8x8 tiles, checks if it already has each tile, and if it doesn't, it adds them in. That's how I understand it to work, anyway.

It's a little more complicated than that (unlike with portraits, it can "cut" without being aligned to an 8x8 gridline; and it "cuts" bigger chunks than 8x8 if it can - there's a specific set of sizes that have special support in the GBA hardware, that the game's engine uses), but that's the basic principle, yes.

Edited by zahlman

Oh, cool :P I remembered you talking 'bout some of how it cuts the pieces up.

I did some research. If I'd actually gotten around to doing work, then FEditor wouldn't suck like this. I mean, yeah, I cleaned up Hex's code a bunch, but I had way loftier aspirations at one point that were never realized because the project seemed to be... decaying, and neither of us wanted to work on it anymore.

Poor FEditor :( Are you (or anybody) still planning on NM3? I don't know much about it, I just hear it thrown around secretively from time to time...

Oh, cool :P I remembered you talking 'bout some of how it cuts the pieces up.

Poor FEditor :( Are you (or anybody) still planning on NM3? I don't know much about it, I just hear it thrown around secretively from time to time...

Yeah, that excited me in more ways than one when I heard the claim, I think "It would make FEditor obsolete".

... Patience. Something is coming soon ;) Yeah, I know it's been over a year, but the same is true for DoF...

And it won't "make FEditor obsolete" by itself. I would consider FEditor pretty much already obsolete anyway, just that there isn't a proper replacement for it yet. But the lessons learned from FEditor will inspire a bunch of smaller separate tools (maybe even packaged together sort of like how FEditor is now... this is the unclear part) that will work together with NM3 to make for a vastly improved hacking experience. Elegant tools for a more sophisticated age of hacking. I've been discussing it with Cam a fair bit recently.

• 2 weeks later...