Anyone got any tips for AP Classes?

Komeiji Koishi

Also who knows a good mental hospital in CA, because I might be insane for going through with being placed in 3 AP classes.

Ok so. yeah the title basically explained it

My three AP classes are:

English and Composition AP

Chemistry AP

and U.S. History AP

Any and all tips will help, as long as it can help me juggle all this work.

Study. Thats the key word right there.

6/7 IB Classes per day in high school. I survived without bringing shame to famiry with any C's.

In addition to the advice above, I'd recommend proper time management. I mean that. If you've gotten your planners from your school and just pretty much throw it away/let it gather dust, I'd advise strongly against that.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Yeah pretty much study and don't slack off on your work (unless its not going to be collected but me being a no life nerd would say do it anyway).

Edited by SlayerX

Don't. Seriously, just don't take them.

Although I only say this because my teachers when I took them were less than stellar and I didn't even bother taking the tests at the end because fuck it but you don't need to take AP classes at all.

Then again since you're already set on it just study and take your time. No need to make yourself a nervous wreck just because you're taking these classes.

I took 7 (6 if you count the two macro/micro econ exams as one) junior year; they're not as intimidating as you think. All you really need to get down is some basic time management, no huge sacrifices or anything, and you should be fine.

Having only taken APUSH out of those three (took AP English Lit instead of Composition and fuck Chemistry), my advice is that your ability to perform well on the writing portions of the exam will probably have the biggest impact both on your AP exam grade and possibly your class grade (depending on your teacher, obviously). Learn the formats they look for and learn to be as concise as possible without skimping out on the details. Not to mention that it's the skill from that class that will serve you best in university/the world rather than knowing all the details of the XYZ affair or whatever, and if you can write about something, you can answer a multiple choice question on it.

Ultimately though, my experience with AP classes was that they depended heavily on your teachers... if you don't think you're going to be able to work with a teacher after a couple of weeks of having their class, just drop it unless you really really want that one extra AP on your application. If you're not doing work or being taught in a way that helps you understand the material, you'll have to work much harder for relatively little gain.

As for studying, you probably know by now how much you need to study to do well, I was one of those kids who didn't need to study in high school and APs were no exception, so if you don't need to study, then don't, but just do as much as you need to be confident in the material.

Edited by Silvercrow

Don't. Seriously, just don't take them.

For once, I can actually use your own shot at me against you.

"Weak".

It's true, it's not for everyone, but once you start it, you're in a freaking contract.

I took 7 (6 if you count the two macro/micro econ exams as one) junior year; they're not as intimidating as you think. All you really need to get down is some basic time management, no huge sacrifices or anything, and you should be fine.

Though, I might like this post very much because of your time management skills, but this is coming from the shota guy that got a perfect score on his SATs with a 2400.

Having only taken APUSH out of those three (took AP English Lit instead of Composition and fuck Chemistry), my advice is that your ability to perform well on the writing portions of the exam will probably have the biggest impact both on your AP exam grade and possibly your class grade (depending on your teacher, obviously). Learn the formats they look for and learn to be as concise as possible without skimping out on the details. Not to mention that it's the skill from that class that will serve you best in university/the world rather than knowing all the details of the XYZ affair or whatever, and if you can write about something, you can answer a multiple choice question on it.

Ultimately though, my experience with AP classes was that they depended heavily on your teachers... if you don't think you're going to be able to work with a teacher after a couple of weeks of having their class, just drop it unless you really really want that one extra AP on your application. If you're not doing work or being taught in a way that helps you understand the material, you'll have to work much harder for relatively little gain.

As for studying, you probably know by now how much you need to study to do well, I was one of those kids who didn't need to study in high school and APs were no exception, so if you don't need to study, then don't, but just do as much as you need to be confident in the material.

^I'd honestly say that's the best advice for you.

I'm technically taking 6 AP classes...do I win a prize?

AP Calc AB

AP Calc BC

AP Government

Engineering Design & Development

Civil Engineering & Architecture

Aerospace Engineering

The last 3 are special Project Lead the Way classes but they bear AP weight and I can receive college credit by taking them.

Also who knows a good mental hospital in CA, because I might be insane for going through with being placed in 3 AP classes.

Ok so. yeah the title basically explained it

My three AP classes are:

Chemistry AP

and U.S. History AP

Any and all tips will help, as long as it can help me juggle all this work.

Chem will most likely take most of your time. Time management and studying will help you quite a bit (probably only for chem though, because, at least in my experience, I didn't study at all for APUS or APEng and still received decent enough marks (A's in US, B's in Eng if you cared to know) in keeping up and actually learning. Chem takes a lot of students, so perhaps give that class 1.5 hours and the other two 45 minutes, adapt as needed?

AP Calc AB

AP Calc BC

AP Government

Aerospace Engineering

The last 3 are special Project Lead the Way classes but they bear AP weight and I can receive college credit by taking them.

What's the point of taking AB and BC concurrently? If you already have knowledge of "A" material, why take AB?

Those last three seem awesome, especially aero. Do you know if it's primarily aeronautical, or astronautical?

Chem will most likely take most of your time. Time management and studying will help you quite a bit (probably only for chem though, because, at least in my experience, I didn't study at all for APUS or APEng and still received decent enough marks (A's in US, B's in Eng if you cared to know) in keeping up and actually learning. Chem takes a lot of students, so perhaps give that class 1.5 hours and the other two 45 minutes, adapt as needed?

What's the point of taking AB and BC concurrently? If you already have knowledge of "A" material, why take AB?

Those last three seem awesome, especially aero. Do you know if it's primarily aeronautical, or astronautical?

I'm taking AB in the fall and BC in the spring. That's the only way my HS offers it. I'm most worried about this because I am skipping calculus and going straight to AP calc and people that do that usually struggle.

Aerospace Engineering deals with both Aeronautical and Astronautical.

I'm actually pretty excited about Civil Engineering & Architecture because I want to major in Civil Engineering when I go off to college next year.

Chemistry AP

and U.S. History AP

Looks like my schedule, except I dropped AP Chem in favor of AP Physics a little less than halfway through the semester. Basically ... study and don't be afraid to ask questions. Manage your time well.

AP Calc AB

AP Calc BC

AP Government

Aerospace Engineering

Roxas 2012:

AP Calc BC

AP United States History

AP Chemistry

AP English Literature

AP Latin: Vergil

AP Macroeconomics

AP Microeconomics

I think I win. :V

Roxas 2012:

AP Calc BC

AP United States History

AP Chemistry

AP English Literature

AP Macroeconomics

AP Microeconomics

I think I win. :V

I'm not sure if that's possible at my school haha....good luck!

Do you plan on majoring in business?

Roxas, making other Asians look bad on SF since he was born (which was not that long ago)!

no roxas, you're a failure if you didn't win the siemens award for advanced placement ;/

Now to answer the OP, echoing what others are saying; time management is key.

Hm...well I took AP chem already and it's not so bad if you consistetly do your work. You'll remember more stuff for the ap exam like that. Uh...I dunno how you study, but I had to read straight from the textbook for about an hour every night since my teacher...didn't really give notes, just went over hw. 

Some advice...Make sure you label your units on everything. And make use of dimensional analysis. When in doubt, make sure your units cancel out~ 

Do you plan on majoring in business?

Well, I already completed it. That was my junior year schedule.

I managed to 5 everything except for BC Calc and US History. :c

lolbusiness. Biochemistry.

Roxas, making other Asians look bad on SF since he was born (which was not that long ago)!

no roxas, you're a failure if you didn't win the siemens award for advanced placement ;/

ohhush.

Silly Iris, I'm entering in Siemens (science) this year. :3

Edited by Roxas

You're right, it really depends on the school. A lot of schools I know have caps/limits on how many APs a student can take.

I managed to 5 everything except for BC Calc and US History. :c

Shame to the famiry. ):

Silly Iris, I'm entering in Siemens (science) this year. :3

That's awesome! I considered it when I was younger, but then I remembered people like you would be entering. o: Good luck, and hope you win!

So are you taking 7 APs this year? o:

Edited by Iris

Ohai there Latin, I remember you.

I took 9 over the timespan of 2 years + an actual college class. I didn't do terribly other than my lack of sleep (which had nothing to do with the APs and everything to do with other things I do) which caused me to sleep in class half the time so shouldn't be too bad~

Also how did you not get a 5 Roxas I had faith in you

Edited by Zhuge Liang

Shame to the famiry. ):

That's awesome! I considered it when I was younger, but then I remembered people like you would be entering. o: Good luck, and hope you win!

So are you taking 7 APs this year? o:

Two 4's on them. Close enough

Hahaha, thanks. Although biomedical engineering's a really popular subject, so I've got some competition to look forward to. :V

lolno. Physics C and that's it. xD

Also how did you not get a 5 Roxas I had faith in you

I'M BAD AT MATH AND HISTORY OKAY