Shattered Honour Chapter One

Parrhesia

As you walk through the camp, you notice that Chisford has not been idle as temporary commander. Other soldiers are hustling around the camp, armed and armoured. He was quick to bash enough heads to be considered the unquestioned leader of the ragged pack of deserters. Ragged enough to almost seem like brigands... you pray that some men might see sense enough to note the difference.

It's unlikely, though. Even if you never ran at all, you may as well be a deserter, as it's doubtful the prowling hunters looking for bounties would care as to your stories. And the Othidians have direct orders to take down either.

As you duck under the roof of the burnt-out inn Chisford has taken for headquarters, you are surprised to see that many, many others have joined you. By the time Chisford finally nods in satisfaction and the doors are slammed shut by the guards outside, you number a full eighteen. The room is beginning to get very cramped.

Chisford slouches, leaning heavily against the wall. He is a heavily-built man in his late thirties, looking older. He wears a faded blue cloak over half-plate, but has discarded all signs of specifically Tascaran affiliation. His lazy eye, greying hair and slight limp give him an aged, weary look, but you've seen his swordsmanship up close as he was... asserting his command. The man is not to be underestimated.

"Finally, you're here. Good." He eyes the ragged group derisively. "Gods save us all, you're the only ones both skilled and inherently disposable enough to serve my goals... if a little more disposable than skilled. Still, they say that if you throw enough mud at a wall... anyway. I have two goals I need accomplished. If they are not accomplished, we will likely die here."

He shoves past a couple of you to make his way to the table that sits in the centre of the room, and unrolls a massive map. He weights one corner down with a dirk and holds the other down with a gloved hand, while jabbing at the paper with his other. "There!" he said, triumphantly pointing at an area of hills a few days march to the east. "If I listened through the old general's commands right, Lord Randel and his army of six thousand fresh soldiers should be camped there. If we could send a group there... well, it's doubtful a supposed 'deserter' would run back to join his army, now, and Randel's said to be both leniant and desperate for more manpower. Still, I doubt our excuse would appease the wandering hunters. That brings me on to the next point.

"Roving bands of hunters and Othidian patrols surround us from all sides, and we NEED supplies, however you can get your hands on them. Easiest way," he says, sliding his finger up to a small city, "would be to just go to here, the city of Caril. Given their crushing victory here, it's doubtful security will be that high in the city itself, but the patrols will be tricky to overcome. In any event, we're painting over shields for those who would go on the supply run, and they'd be best served forgoing surcoats entirely. Still, you all reek of the homeland, except for you mercenaries. Best to let them do the talking.

"Those seeking reinforcements have the easier time of it, but I want you to seperate into two squads of your own choosing. Report back to me within three hours, ready to move out. Any questions?"

Edited by Furetchen

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chisford is not a man with the willpower or inclination to keep people in discipline. "The supply runners will be given a couple mules that we can spare. Those mules need to be loaded with supplies. Assuming we have that much in the way of spoils, I think we can afford to overlook a new sword or ring or what have you."

Jacob glances around the room, taking in the men and women gathered around. He sighs heavily, seeing so many younger than himself.

He turns and stares directly at Chisford. "You need people to gather your supplies; I'll be with that group."

Edited by Strunk

Tordel had heard the plan, but he was unsure of how successful it would be. The Othidian army had destroyed them in their previous encounter, fighting them again wasn't exactly something he wanted to do. Their chances weren't that great. Surely it'd be better to join up with Lord Randell.

"Captain, I'd like to request you putting me in the group to meet Lord Randell. If we were able to join him, we wouldn't need a supply run... it sounds very risky."

Either plan will probably get me killed, I should try to take my chances with the strongest looking group... Jordan wasn't cut out for this sort of thing, this whole military deal, but he could shoot a crossbow and he felt the least bit useful in that fact. An older man had stepped forward, older by his standards. But he looked tough, strong; competent, and he had suggested joining Lord Randell. Thinking over the plans again, joining up with that Randell fellow seemed better, at least a bit. Jordan wasn't much of a talker, so there would be trouble if the few guards at Caril did catch him. If trouble arose on the way to Randell, he could hide back and pick off people without getting into any serious trouble.

"Chisford, was it?" he put on his strongest voice, "I'll join this man and head to Lord Randell as well. I'm no talker, I won't be of much use in the city." He turned to the man who had spoke, a bit intimidated by his appearance. It was apparent that this man had seen true fights before. "My name is Jordan. It's... nice to meet you."

Jacob set still for several minutes, thinking. Maybe he was paranoid, or maybe the recent battle was still weighing heavily on his mind, but either way, he had to voice his concerns.

"I do not believe only sending one group would be wise. There is a chance that the Othidian army has set up an ambush, somewhere along the path to Lord Randel. Even if they didn't know his location before that battle, they could have captured and tortured some of our soldiers to get whatever information they could use. If we sent everybody in one group, and we were all killed, the other soldiers here would have no hope to survive. Heading into Caril may be dangerous, but I believe we should assume everything we do from here on will be just as dangerous. We could all die at any moment, and we should plan accordingly."

"To think we were even forced back by those Othidians... though there is little to do when the other men of your vanguard are dead and you are the last still fighting but to carve your own path out from the battlefield. Even as a mercenary, to be called a deserted is disgraceful, and I am not a man of subtlety. Whichever of these groups of yours will be in greater need of a wall of steel and men, ripped clean in half, I would be glad to accompany so that we may tear through our enemy." The giant of a man announced, as he made his way over to Chrisford.

"So which do you think that is, Captain?"

'Oooohhh what a bother~!' The girl repeated to herself once again, as a bunch of sweaty soldiers gathered in the small area. How had she ever managed to get stuck with this ragtag group, thrust into some stupid battle that made no difference to her at all.

'Better than getting felt up by those partying guys on the other side I guess... atleast these guys are beat down enough for me to kick them where it hurts and run away!' She reassured herself, as she began brushing her hair absent-mindedly, not really listening to what the others were saying.

'I'll just jump with the group that has better meatshields~' She reasoned, as the boisterous boasting of the frankly, enormous man reached her ears.

'Guys like that dooo have a use, oh yes they do~ Oh Alice-chan, you are a genius ~!'

"O Bilbo you old fool, what are you doing here with a crossbow slung on your back and a pack of burly men discussing war plans and supplies?" muttered Bilbo to himself, pacing about wearily. "I wish I was back at the monastery eating crumpets and sorting herbs!" and it was not the last time he wished that!

This big guy with the lazy eye said something about a city. I'm going there. Surely they would not do harm upon a man of worship! He voiced that last thought:

"Surely they will do no harm upon a man of Venus in the city, yes?"

As he was saying this, a face caught his eye. How curious. It could not be. No, not on this side of the frontier. Stop it with that. It was long ago. The kid is gone now.

"I'll go for the supplies." She said rather loudly, staying right where she was leaning against the wall and simply resting for the moment. A lot had happened and she was still none too proud of the outcome but Angeline wasn't about to just call it quits. Sure, she'd probably die soon, but she'd rather take even more people down with her as opposed to just dying outright. Not to mention she was hoping against hope that she'd be able to make whatever crazy plan this guy had would work. Normally she would have tried socializing but these people seemed a bit... odd to her, though she had to admit she was no exception either. The diversity in the room was actually rather refreshing for her, but she'd never admit it.

Varon got up from the sooty corner he was occupying during the planning and looked over the two groups being formed. The supply group had more members. Therefore, Varon decided to join the group heading to Lord Randel. He quickly and quietly introduced himself to the other members of his group, Tordel and Jordan.

"H-hello, I'm Varon. I can go with you two if you'd like."

"Oi! I have a question." A small woman, only about five feet tall, with a head of brilliant red hair had raised her hand, as if in a schoolgrouping instead of the army. "You say it's important for us to get these supplies and are well aware of us enough to know we're killed, yet disposable, but aren't assigning us to groups? Ah well, I'm probably, overthinking this too hard. Not like we're part of the Bernician army at least" she said before shaking her head in mild annoyance.

"Well, you find lads, which of the groups do you think could handle a meek baker's girl?"

"Well, you find lads, which of the groups do you think could handle a meek baker's girl?"

Had a civilian got caught up in the mess too? She was a rather short girl, and probably had no idea what she was getting in to. Tordel didn't feel like letting someone go get themselves killed, if she were armed the soldiers would show no mercy.

"Look, girl. I don't know how you got mixed up in this but it's no game. If you think this is some chance to find yourself a lad, you'll be in for a shock. Get rid of your armour and go home, you'll pass off as a civilian, they shouldn't bother you. Nothing good comes with war, someone like you shouldn't have to see it."

Jacob gets up from the table, walking over to the man that has just spoke.

"Listen, I know you mean well, but we're very close to being surrounded. If we sent this poor girl off alone, with no weapons or armor, she'd be just as likely to get killed, if not more so. Either by animals, enemy soldiers, or even some of the less well-meaning deserters from our own army."

"Listen, I know you mean well, but we're very close to being surrounded. If we sent this poor girl off alone, with no weapons or armor, she'd be just as likely to get killed, if not more so. Either by animals, enemy soldiers, or even some of the less well-meaning deserters from our own army."

The man did have a fair point, there was also the risk of danger if she departed. However, having her hang around wasn't good either.

"True, there's the chance she'd get ambushed along the way. I still wouldn't be happy bringing her along, but then again it's not my call. I don't want her getting into a situation that we can't get her out of... too many new recruits go down before they even unsheathe their swords."

"Yes, I suppose you're correct. But in the end, it isn't up to either of us. We'll have to see what Chisford himself has to say on the matter."

Suddenly, he holds out his hand to the man in front of him.

"The name's Jacob. You seem like an honest man, and I hope we're both still here the next time we all meet."

He waits, as if judging how the man will react.

"H-hello, I'm Varon. I can go with you two if you'd like."

The strong looking man seemed to have his hands full, dealing with that girl and the man from the table, leaving Jordan the one to address the new one. "Hello, Varon. You sound a bit scared there, not that I blame you. But don't get too frightened, we need all the help we can get. By that I mean sure, come along. Name's Jordan, by the way." He then turned to the other men, "and if the girl wants to come along with us, then let her. Just because she's a bit short and a woman doesn't mean she can't hold her own in a fight. We all managed to survive, somehow, so we should all at least get a chance."

"Yes, I suppose you're correct. But in the end, it isn't up to either of us. We'll have to see what Chisford himself has to say on the matter."

That was true, Chrisford being the most senior would be calling the shots. The man extended his hand, a formal introduction... something Tordel didn't see often out in the fields. He shook the man's hand, allies needed to stick together.

"The name's Jacob. You seem like an honest man, and I hope we're both still here the next time we all meet."

"I am Tordel. Yes, hopefully Captain Chrisford can shed some light on the matter."

Another guy came along, he seemed to be backing up the girl.

"We all managed to survive, somehow, so we should all at least get a chance."

"It's not that it's because she's a woman. It's more that she's lacking experience, the tasks ahead of us aren't exactly good training missions."

Edited by Admiral Shin

Lena gave a smile as she heard the people talking back and forth about if she should be sent home or not. It was down-right ridiculous! "I'm sorry, but it seems you have the notion that I wanted to be here of my own free will. While I have gladly chosen to fight for my own country, serving as an archer within your ranks, my choice to serve was also not entirely my own. Just wishing myself out of this fight won't earn anything of value for anyone on any side at all. Besides, I've seen many fights in my day, battles, skirmishes, bar brawls, and the most dangerous, political meetings. I'll be more than safe out there on the battlefield."

"It's not that it's because she's a woman. It's more that she's lacking experience, the tasks ahead of us aren't exactly good training missions."

"Well, no, they're not, but..." he had to think for a moment, trying to find the right words to say, "it'll probably be just as hard to run away as it will be to try and fight, so we might as well give fighting a shot? I think a lot of us don't have that much experience." That's the best argument I've got and I'm sticking to it. Well, actually... "B-But even if we don't have a lot of experience it doesn't mean we won't try! I'm ready to give it my all, sir!" He figured adding sir made sense, if this guy was in the army, then he had to be a higher rank than Jordan was. There was something that the girl had said that bothered him, though. Political meetings? Didn't she say she was a baker? Why haven't I seen any political meetings? He almost felt left out.

Jack had been only half listening the whole time and had instead been eying the rest of the group carefully. Hmm, yes. This should be interesting. He watched as the group started to split into groups, and when he heard one of the twins say that he and his sister would be going on the supply run, he grinned and walked over towards them.

"Hello there, I'm Capt... I'm Jack. And who might you be? And is this your sister? Lovely to meet your acquaintance. It would be foolish of me to decline joining a group that holds two such... interesting people such as yourselves." He said with a slight bow. As he straightened from the bow, he grinned suggestively at Ibn.

Izdihar looks around the room, still unable to believe that half everyone this Chisford asshole thought was competent were kids. After a moment a man named Jack goes up to her brother and introduces himself, and Izdihar gets up and responds before Ibn can. "Glad to have you, I suppose. You don't look completely awful at least, and far better than most of the rest of this group of children in any case." She makes sure to say the latter half of the sentence in a voice loud enough for everyone in the room to hear, and specifically says children in a rather snide voice. After a moment, she says "My name is Izdihar" with a wink, then sits back down.