Who lives in Montréal, Québec (Canada)?!

sumerian99

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you want to consider it as ''United States 2.0'' be my guest because quite frankly it kinda is, except in Quebec where we hate the way Canada is increasingly close to the US in terms of ideology and social values.

Just consider my place as Québec ok? :)))

There are enormous differences between living in the US and Canada. Culturally they may be developing similarly (mostly in Ontario), but things still work much differently. The Government in Canada is not nearly as messed up, although it has its own share of problems, but the Canadian people are smartening up. People in Canada, especially those with limited skillsets, have FAR more opportunities to improve and receive education than in many US states. Young people growing up in Canada have no idea how good they have it, and how much worse it could be.

Quebec is the screaming, spoiled child of Canada. There is nothing different about it compared to the rest of Canada. Its people are not smarter, its political party is by far the worst (even the green party has better Canadian values) and the rural areas are absolutely plagued by wannabe frenchman who are still crying because France didn't want them. Quebec has something far bigger in common with the US than any other part of Canada - undeserved and unearned "nationalistic" pride. At least you could argue the US as a whole has done enough for the world to have earned a little bit of an ego. Quebec doesn't even contribute its fair share to Canada compared to what it receives, let alone the world. Seps can't keep crying "separation" forever. We've already done this twice, and each time the majority of the Quebec population voted to stay with Canada. I feel very bad for the proud French Canadians who have to live with the wannabes. Quebec prospers because it's a part of Canada, and it needs to show some respect. Don't even get me started on their 250 billion dollar consolidated debt (you know your province is effed up when you're in twice as much debt as Ontario). Quebec is a ticking time bomb for Canada; it is almost the poorest province in the entire country, and it is in 2x-3x more debt than the leading ones.

And that's coming from someone who has lived in France, Quebec, Ontario and BC and has stayed in major cities in the states for extended periods of time. And I'm French to boot! Quebec is in a really poor state. If there ever was a time to be proud to be from Quebec, it was 20 years ago. Quebec is a shell of its former self, and it is completely and unarguably dependent on the rest of Canada to even remain afloat. So next time you feel the urge to rag on Canada for cultural progression you aren't fond of, take a look at the economic and cultural state of the province you're living in and ask yourself where you'd be without "US 2.0".

That said, I really love the province and its people (the non-zealots). I enjoyed my time there immensely and made a lot of friends for life. The cities in particular are gorgeous, especially at night.

Edited by Tangerine

ignoring everything else, what the actual fuck is this supposed to mean

lol, it wasn't a serious remark. You're not supposed to talk about the green party for reals!

Here's the article it was based on:

http://www.greenparty.ca/blogs/7/2012-07-12/values-rub

I had actually just finished reading it a couple days ago.

Edited by Tangerine

lol, it wasn't a serious remark. You're not supposed to talk about the green party for reals!

Here's the article it was based on:

http://www.greenparty.ca/blogs/7/2012-07-12/values-rub

I had actually just finished reading it a couple days ago.

I still don't know what the comment was supposed to mean, but ANYWAY, come on the guy didn't even say anything about seperatism or Quebecois nationalism, or wanting more money or anything. He just made a statement (that was broadly true) about Canada drifting toward the US.

edit: but if he is talking about east vs west then yeah holy fuck he's dumb, anyone who talks about east vs west is dumb dumb dumb

Edited by Defeatist Elitist

I still don't know what the comment was supposed to mean, but ANYWAY, come on the guy didn't even say anything about seperatism or Quebecois nationalism, or wanting more money or anything. He just made a statement (that was broadly true) about Canada drifting toward the US.

(It was a joke at the green party for their canada/chinese values argument in the article)

Haha, I just get carried away when it comes to the garbage relationship between Quebec and the rest of Canada. I really doubt he'll take it as a personal thing against him :P. It really annoys me when they hate on eachother when they quite obviously both benefit from being a whole country.

I just got slightly annoyed with his abandoning of Canada (and also with him excluding Quebec from "US 2.0") and asking to be considered "from Quebec", and went on a bit of a self-fueled rant based on what I had already said, lol. omg and all the separatist talk in the media after the august-september elections in Quebec. It's really getting to me.

She couldn't be Sirius if she tried.

what

(how was that?)

Edited by Tangerine

(It was a joke at the green party for their canada/chinese values argument in the article)

Haha, I just get carried away when it comes to the garbage relationship between Quebec and the rest of Canada. I really doubt he'll take it as a personal thing against him :P. It really annoys me when they hate on eachother when they quite obviously both benefit from being a whole country.

I just got slightly annoyed with his abandoning of Canada (and also with him excluding Quebec from "US 2.0") and asking to be considered "from Quebec",

On that front though, Quebec is sort of excluded from the US 2.0 for various reasons.

and went on a bit of a self-fueled rant based on what I had already said, lol. omg and all the separatist talk in the media after the august-september elections in Quebec. It's really getting to me.

Seperatism is dead and has been dead since the second referendum, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. I mean, they have to create news stories so they talk about it, but it's not actually an issue.

On that front though, Quebec is sort of excluded from the US 2.0 for various reasons.

It's US 2.0 in different ways, lol. That's the cute part!

Seperatism is dead and has been dead since the second referendum, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. I mean, they have to create news stories so they talk about it, but it's not actually an issue.

Oh, I definitely agree. Even if it wanted to, Quebec couldn't stand on its own. I imagine it scared them when 61% of polled Canadians voted that Canada should cut off all ties with Quebec if they separated; can't have your cake and eat it too.

What bugs me is the rift that stuff like that creates between eastern and western Canada. The debates are pretty sickening to watch. Those old wounds from the 90s were finally starting to mend a little bit, and now this. It'd be a lot better off for the country if we were actually unified, haha.

Oh, I definitely agree. Even if it wanted to, Quebec couldn't stand on its own. I imagine it scared them when 61% of polled Canadians voted that Canada should cut off all ties with Quebec if they separated; can't have your cake and eat it too.

What bugs me is the rift that stuff like that creates between eastern and western Canada. The debates are pretty sickening to watch. Those old wounds from the 90s were finally starting to mend a little bit, and now this. It'd be a lot better off for the country if we were actually unified, haha.

But again, it's just rhetoric, and it's mostly because they think people want to hear it. Also seriously, don't even mention east vs west unless you're calling it dumb, mentioning it gives it power, it's like an Elder God, you might summon it by accident.

i think quebec is having so many problems because they refuse to accept english as an official language. i don't want it to replace french, but if they keep cutting themselves off, language wise, from the rest of canada, then they're doooomed

so glad we're moving from this terrible place next year

like seriously that pauline marois that got elected into the quebec governing board, she wants to cut down on so many rights for anglophones. it's just stupid.

Edited by seph1212

But again, it's just rhetoric, and it's mostly because they think people want to hear it. Also seriously, don't even mention east vs west unless you're calling it dumb, mentioning it gives it power, it's like an Elder God, you might summon it by accident.

lol, you're right! The general tone of my post should have indicated I thought it was dumb though!

i think quebec is having so many problems because they refuse to accept english as an official language. i don't want it to replace french, but if they keep cutting themselves off, language wise, from the rest of canada, then they're doooomed

so glad we're moving from this terrible place next year

like seriously that pauline marois that got elected into the quebec governing board, she wants to cut down on so many rights for anglophones. it's just stupid.

It really is pretty bad there. I think everyone needs to take some lessons from New Brunswick, lol. It's like my favorite province in Canada, though I haven't gotten to spend much time there. It was so amazing, there were English and French..co-habitating! They were all so friendly with eachother. It was like what everyone imagines Canada to be. There was just nothing but love there :P.

edit: good lord, those typos!

Edited by Tangerine

I remember when she got elected, my friend goes "so these immigrants are too lazy to go out and vote, but an hour after she's elected they go on a riot". Based on the arguments posted above me, I'm starting to think this sentence sums things up.

if anybody uses the word "lazy" in the same sentence as the word "immigrant" and it's not "Immigrants are not lazy", you should probably never speak to them again

It's kind of the same thing here in the UK. We get plenty of immigrants coming in, but guess what, most have jobs. Paid less than the national average too, but they don't complain because it's more than what they get back where they come from. People are then saying "bloody immigrants (can often replace with "Polish"), coming over here and taking all our jobs!", when it's the British citizenry who are lazy as fuck and won't do anything, living off tax payer's money and putting little to no effort in searching for a job which will let them earn their own money just because they get enough money off the government every week to cover the costs of their drugs, cigs and alcohol.

But Thunderbolt....

Electric-type Special attack; TM24; 15PP, 95 Power, 100% accuracy, 10% chance of paralysis. Arguably the most reliable electric attack throughout the Pokemon series of games.

Yeah uh, what's Thunderbolt?

It really is pretty bad there. I think everyone needs to take some lessons from New Brunswick, lol. It's like my favorite province in Canada, though I haven't gotten to spend much time there. It was so amazing, there were English and French..co-habitating! They were all so friendly with eachother. It was like what everyone imagines Canada to be. There was just nothing but love there :P.

Yeah, NB is a pretty great place. Even the people there are way nicer than people in Quebec. I was at a Walmart there and the cashier actually asked me how I was doing and how my day was going. You'll never get that in Quebec.

luckily that's where I'm moving next year and it can't come fast enough! Au revoir, Quebec!

Electric-type Special attack; TM24; 15PP, 95 Power, 100% accuracy, 10% chance of paralysis. Arguably the most reliable electric attack throughout the Pokemon series of games.

Yeah uh, what's Thunderbolt?

I'm talking about the interface you silly

if anybody uses the word "lazy" in the same sentence as the word "immigrant" and it's not "Immigrants are not lazy", you should probably never speak to them again

True true. He's an immigrant himself. He was just referring to how immigrants are pretty lazy when it comes to politics; like they never go out to vote or anything like that. Just riot lol.

True true. He's an immigrant himself. He was just referring to how immigrants are pretty lazy when it comes to politics; like they never go out to vote or anything like that. Just riot lol.

But can immigrants vote in montreal elections if they don't have citizenship?

Not saying that's a good excuse to riot.