[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

Oh my bad, I completely misunderstood.

Skirmishes, now that I think about it, should be more rare, and should give out good items, while the tower and ruins are where you go to level low and high leveled characters, respectively.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my bad, I completely misunderstood.Skirmishes, now that I think about it, should be more rare, and should give out good items, while the tower and ruins are where you go to level low and high leveled characters, respectively.

I completely agree.

Looks great, Faratras' critical is pretty epic :o

it's been demonstrated that you can actually apply events to skirmish chapters and lagdou/valnii would love to see actual things happening in the skirmishes

Ryrumeli gave events to the tower and ruins iirc although I'm not sure how. My first instinct would be to just assemble events to the chapter data although that seems too easy idk

It'd be cool if you could bypass skirmishes that are in your way, like a yes/no option to actual fight. I know you can just go in and retreat immediately but that's annoying and kinda awkward

Oh my bad, I completely misunderstood.

Skirmishes, now that I think about it, should be more rare, and should give out good items, while the tower and ruins are where you go to level low and high leveled characters, respectively.

It's cool.

Hmm... While I don't think I'll follow that pattern, the idea of making skirmishes, Tower and Ruins very different from each other is good. They were pretty much all the same in FE8. Same boring concept: mow down all the monsters.

Prepare yourselves for some uber eventing in the Tower~ I'll start working on that one soon. just have to find out how perma IDs work... and which ones are free to use

Looks great, Faratras' critical is pretty epic :o

Thankies :o

Ryrumeli gave events to the tower and ruins iirc although I'm not sure how. My first instinct would be to just assemble events to the chapter data although that seems too easy idk

It'd be cool if you could bypass skirmishes that are in your way, like a yes/no option to actual fight. I know you can just go in and retreat immediately but that's annoying and kinda awkward

Uh, pretty sure you just have to assemble events, haha.

Skirmishes were pretty much uncovered when I started hacking, and nobody I asked could tell me how to hack them. I found out you could do that with events (though with some limitations). Simple as that... The only problem is that some of the Tower/Ruins floors can't be Disassembled and, therefore, reassembled properly. And I doubt they'll work without all those <<Unknown>> codes.

As for the Yes/No command, that would require some assembly hacking... not worth the effort.

Thank you~ That much is pretty obvious anyway. I want to make things a little more interesting.

And there are a lot of possibilities, actually. Who said that strong enemies = tons of exp? They could be just strong but at lv.1, and the actual point of fighting them would be the possibility to get some rare weapons.

Just putting weak enemies that allow you to get infinite exp would make it the same as FE8. I would be pretty much ignoring everything we said about Valni/Lagdou back in January, and I don't want that. XP

Oh, guys, feel free to ask me anything about the hack. I might also post some screenshots to answer you eventually. XP

Some pre-release extra information might be nice for ya, right? ~

Well... Skirmish's depends of the place anyway.

So.. Why can't it be all of them ?

I think instead of having increased difficulty, it would be better to vary the possibility (with differents rank indeed), both for skirmish and Tower/Ruins.

You can have some ancient Ruins which when revisited, have strong ennemy who gives few experience, but drop rare Items, another rich city pillaged by Monsters/Risens/Bandits who gives you tons of Gold, and some place acting as a training ground.

If you could change objectives in skirmish, it would add some interest too. (For example, some place with endless waves of ennemy, but limited turns). (or add shops)

My point is that skirmish should be related to the place where they appears. They don't have to be all similar, and actually, this is an occasion to expand the game's world (which you are already doing with your maps).

Refighting some older Boss would be interresting too, as Risen, Morph or whatever this game uses instead.

Skirmish can be a formidable storytelling tool (and I'm a great fan of this kind of thing), and I don't think this aspects should be forgotten (as it is the case in the original game).

I'm also curious about Faratrass' name origin, but I'm worried it's something you don't want to expand on.

Edited by shytende

Are you talking about the video with some chapter's events on the first floor of Lagdou?

that was precisely what i was looking for

i remember having a conversation with ryru (i'd post logs but my skype has been wiped multiple times since) where he said that skirmishes and lagdou/valni are essentially the same thing, just with more wizardry in loading them

oh my, this hack looks really interesting :O

totally following this

few questions

1. Are ANY of the FE:SS characters going to be in this one? really curious

2. Could you spoiler us some of the names/classes/stats of the 1st few characters?

3. Are there any new classes that are playable?

4. Are there any new non-character locked weapons besides the Devil ones? (which are pretty cool)

totally following this

few questions

2. Could you spoiler us some of the names/classes/stats of the 1st few characters?

4. Are there any new non-character locked weapons besides the Devil ones? (which are pretty cool)

ak said that this universe uses the demon king thing but not in the magvel universe, right?

From what I've observed, skirmishes are an automated process and Valni/Lagdou are mostly actual chapters with unique scripts. The only sort-of exception to this is the Melkaen Coast, since it has no regular events. It probably still applies the normal skirmish code, which means no events. Thinking about it, the code to make a skirmish chapter (execute map change with ID 0x0, disable all events) could be event code at a single offset, which all skirmishes read automatically.

One problem with editing the dungeons is that Event Assembler can't disassemble all of the dungeon chapters - Valni 5/6 and about half of Lagdou crash the executable. Fe8Code can just be replaced with SHORT in the event file if you don't want to bother making a new entry in the definitions for that command, but not being able to read the events in the first place (outside of hex editors) stinks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the laaate answers guys, I've been quite busy.

And sometimes I like working in secret, hehehe.

Sooo... the release date is approaching~

totally following this

few questions

1) Like Ghast said, this hack isn't related to FE8. It takes place in a parallel universe "where the same events occurred with different characters" (as written in the very first lines of the prologue). Basically characters will often refer to the War of the Stones, or to the Demon King, but Eirika and Ephraim & co. never existed here. Even the nations are different.

Same folklore, different setting.

2) Sure, why not.

Have some Rya

She's not exactly "new" for those who've been following this topic since the very beginning but hey, it's always nice to see our dear Royal Archer.

[btw yeah, magical arrows do magical damage. There'll be 4-5 magical bows in the game. Also, you won't get any magical bows if she's dead.]

3) Yeah, a lot! I tried to be innovative.

Most of them are new promotions though, so just about 3-4 new classes will be in the first released version.

4) Yup, there are some new sets.

For example, Agile weapons.

weapon1.png

weapon2.png

weapon3.png

They have very low Mt, few uses, high crit and they can strike consecutively (brave effect).

They're pretty useless against opponents with medium-high def, but they're great against fragile opponents like mages, or thieves.

Since they're quite hard to obtain, and they have few uses, they can be considered some sort of "Jolly".

Wow. This looks REALLY good. I can't wait to play this.

Thank you!

Oh wow, the day is finally approaching..!?!?

Hype :D

-46 days!

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I'm looking forward to crushing bones with a bone crusher. again looking forward to this.

Ahah thanks!

That's the new Hammer btw, it's effective against heavily-armored opponents *and* skeletons.

Skeletons have very high def and decent speed in MS, so weapons like the Bonecrusher will really save the day.

Everybody, feel free to ask some more questions if you have any.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I don't know if this has been asked before, but will there be any support conversations? If so, will they work similar to the GBA support system?

Edit: Was that knight holding an axe?

Edited by BChan8397

Uh probably

Animations for sword/axe/bow knights for the GBA games have been around for a while now.

Edited by shinpichu

Uh probably

Animations for sword/axe/bow knights for the GBA games have been around for a while now.

I thought Armor Knights could only used lances in the GBA games.

I don't know if this has been asked before, but will there be any support conversations? If so, will they work similar to the GBA support system?

Yup, there'll be support convos!

And, more importantly, you'll get some cool items and stuff from supports (if I manage to implement hextator's assembly hack).

Supports won't be available in version 1.0 though.

Also, enemy knights can use all kinds of weapons. (you won't see a knight with all of them though, of course)

This applies to Cavaliers too. Enemies' weapon ranks tend to vary- they're not fixed. For example you see enemy cavaliers with Axes and Lances, or Sword and Lances, but the playable Cavalier you get uses Axes and Swords.

Edited by Alfred Kamon