[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, yes, I'm starting to want Menmus x Fa myself :3

[spoiler=Part story spoiler so careful]Menmus seems to replace Franz and Helios seems to replace Seth

Is it possible to switch them around so Menmus can have support capabilities with Fa? I mean, he made her cry those innocent tears ;O

[spoiler=Chapter 5]I managed to rob the red ruby and get away ^^ With all the treasure as well.

Took 28 turns though :(

[spoiler=chapter 2 events]Actually, Menmus replaces Gilliam.

And I can choose the support partners for each character, don't worry.

As of now, they're still the standard ones because I haven't bothered to edit them.

Is it intentional that doing anything but fleeing from a skirmish causes a Game Over?

It is.

I still don't want you to get extra exp, I need to gather some data and balance the skirmishes and the Tower accordingly.

Slowly cracking away at this...I had really written myself into a corner once or twice, surviving by the skin of Fa's teeth, but despite it all, my playthrough still lives...

[spoiler=In case this knowledge must remain secret]All because I want to keep hearing that victory music lifted from Trails in the Sky. yaayyy "Target Vanquished!"

As a Falcom fan, this is totally a reward...even though it makes the wait for the release of the First and Second Chapters on Steam even harder.

That's not exactly a spoiler. XD

I'm glad you like that music! (Y)

Edit 'cause I got ninja'd: @Lindsy: "Only"? That's the penultimate chapter..! ;o

Good luck! >w<

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Well, if nothing else, you could have enemies with the 'Don't give xp' flag set, and just let the skirmishes/Valni be there just for the challenge, and maybe some item drops.

Shame that skirmishes don't let you use any events, though.

Bahahah you're a boss!

Well, thank you very much! ^^

Can I know something more about that glitch you were talking about, please?

The custom graphics fell out of place for a few moments while i was quickly flipping though the enemy unit statuses. Like i said, it happened once and is most likely nothing to worry about.

[spoiler= Chapter 8 Complete!] Personally I find that Hellios is a boss. I don't care what happened, I just like his character more. Fa and Shiori are okay. Andre + Holy Fire = Kerning Level. Djambo is amazing.

I like this hack. Also, personally I feel that maybe the tower should be so OP you have to be further to even attempt it. Skirmishes should be the same. Like if you played that god awful Dragonball Z Ultimate Tenkaichi and you realized your stats were so weak that you couldn't even beat random encounters anymore so you just kept training in story mode/world tournaments? Like that.

Chapter 5 is more of a puzzle than an actual chapter, if you know what to do it's trivial. The trouble comes from knowing what to do and knowing which walls fliers can cross. It was a very trial-and-error map. (Hint: Don't grab the Ruby until you're almost done.)

The only reason I took as long as I did in CHapter 4 was because I had no idea whether the super centaurs would move. Damn GBA movement ranges not taking into account AI. I ended up rushing with Hellios and Menmus and only cleared it on the last turn.

T

Oh boy, the quality of this production has been something else. The attention to detail, the really tight tuning on chapters, it's all fantastic. Not played through too much of it yet, between yesterday's exhaustion and today's business, but this is proving to be a gold standard I need to hold to with my own work in Shatterlight.

My own release feels pretty underwhelming by comparison, but that's a challenge I will look up to.

To be fair, Alfred has been working on Midnight Sun for almost 2 years now? You folks started Shatterlight in the fall, no?

Everyone else's success can only make the rest of us rise to it.

Currently on Chapter 7, and have the same problem as this person. I'm in Battle Preparations on VBA, so if you want my save, lemme know~! Currently using The Ballista Patch.

Yeah, the bug can be annoying...

I managed to beat it by grinding all my characters so they can kill the enemies stacked on them during the enemy turn as the enemy has to move out of the character to attack - but this isn't a pleasant solution (I had to remove my two healers from battle :( to keep them safe. :/ <This is on my second run through btw

Yeah holy wow.

I just finished the interlude

geezus man

This is pretty fantastic.

The only chapter I haven't liked is 5, because of the restrictions, and even then it wasn't the worst.

Really great hack! I love pretty much everything x) And I find it kind of funny that even though I read how to recruit the characters, I kept remembering wrong but still got every one in the end lol.

Also, can't wait for next patch, even though I guess it's not for now if it took two years to get everything like this... But it's definitely worth the wait man!

Hello everyone I am new to this forum and need some help. Im trying to install FE Midnight sun But i'm having trouble with the patching process. Can anyone give me step by step instructions? Thanks in advance

I'm almost sure he had this "not patching" problem. Because you have to check something else than "abort" in NUPS to patch correctly. (I do it myself since even clean roms don't seem to be ... well clean ).

I checked the first text. And my bad it's indeed princess. I don't know why my eyes put " Prince" last time instead. I maybe just dreamed xD

Shiroi likes to show her teeth. Lel

Edited by Solum

Well, if nothing else, you could have enemies with the 'Don't give xp' flag set, and just let the skirmishes/Valni be there just for the challenge, and maybe some item drops.

Shame that skirmishes don't let you use any events, though.

I'm sorry but that's a terrible idea.

Then people wouldn't be able to gain some precious exp to beat chapter 9A/B when v.2.0 is released.

I'll just block the access to skirmishes for now. Maybe I'll make them available when I gather some more data and I'm pretty sure of what should be done with the difficulty of the next chapters.

As for now, if you want some post-demo content, you can play the Link Arena. I've *not* worked on all those alternate battle palettes for nothing!

Tip: you can use both Shiori and Faratrass in the same team if you use the Interlude save. that doesn't work with the ch.9 save though

Currently on Chapter 7, and have the same problem as this person. I'm in Battle Preparations on VBA, so if you want my save, lemme know~! Currently using The Ballista Patch.

I sent you a PM.

...And I've absolutely no idea on why that happens.

I should discuss this some more with other experienced hackers.

The custom graphics fell out of place for a few moments while i was quickly flipping though the enemy unit statuses. Like i said, it happened once and is most likely nothing to worry about.

Yeah, probably an emulation issue. ;)

Thanks for reporting anyway!

fair enough, thanks for hearing my post.

i think the boss might be fine as it is with just one of the other eye's with it, or maybe like give some other units magic resist if your gonna tweak the boss.

ah well, i be looking forward to the completed result

Sure thing! Thanks for the suggestions!

[spoiler=dat story] :0000000000000000000000000000000000

My mind, it is dead, this is excellenttttttttt (hah, I'm not actually spoiling it here! play it!)

Also, Andre is OP, he soloed chapter 8, almost lol

tUxr2ZS.png

Yeah holy wow.

I just finished the interlude

geezus man

This is pretty fantastic.

The only chapter I haven't liked is 5, because of the restrictions, and even then it wasn't the worst.

(Y) These are my mindfucks for ya, sweeties

Glad you enjoyed the hack ^_^

Really great hack! I love pretty much everything x) And I find it kind of funny that even though I read how to recruit the characters, I kept remembering wrong but still got every one in the end lol.

Also, can't wait for next patch, even though I guess it's not for now if it took two years to get everything like this... But it's definitely worth the wait man!

Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoyed the hack!

Also, v.2.0 will (*should*) contain all the chapters up to ch.16, including the route split (so, 9A 9B 10A 10B 11A 11B 12A 12B 13A 13B 14A 14B 15 and 16). That's a total of 14 chapters... pretty much 40% more than now.

So it might take me a while to make all of them. At least one more year (just because I'm way faster now). But I'll publish some updates in the meantime, don't worry.

The music....HNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Glad I was able to give you an eargasm.

Could you please give me the patched rom ? My Pc broken so I can't patch it myself

Yeah sorry, linking ROMs is illegal and not allowed here.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

zerorock1312, on 26 May 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Could you please give me the patched rom ? My Pc broken so I can't patch it myself

Yeah sorry, linking ROMs is illegal and not allowed here.
There are patchers available for Android (and possibly other phones as well) though. I've got one available through Google Play - takes a while to patch compared to NUPS, but it works. And technically, with phone based GBA emulators such as Gameboid, I don't even need a computer for FE hacks anymore unless I'm actively trying to hack a ROM myself.

So the next patch will take us right to whatever replaces Scorching Sands? Hmm. Can't wait to find out what the deal is with Hollow King Holon. He looks like a mannequin!

Edited by Wayward Winds

So...about to complete chapter 6 and, while

waiting for Saai and his lone remaining comrade to kill the last enemy,

I've noticed something quite interesting (read: hilarious to me)

33p7mnm.png

Appearantly Schwarz has just enough con to rescue Saai.

As for now, if you want some post-demo content, you can play the Link Arena. I've *not* worked on all those alternate battle palettes for nothing!

Tip: you can use both Shiori and Faratrass in the same team if you use the Interlude save. that doesn't work with the ch.9 save though

Speaking of the link arena, Menmus has the boss icon as a NPC. (very minor, but I just happened to notice)

M0boEdo.png

I'm bad at this, yes.

Actually, I also just noticed that the Wonder Pupil animation uses the hoof step instead of normal footstep. (Noticed this on hard flooring, like the tile in the link arena)

Edited by L95

So...about to complete chapter 6 and, while

waiting for Saai and his lone remaining comrade to kill the last enemy,

I've noticed something quite interesting (read: hilarious to me)

33p7mnm.png

Appearantly Schwarz has just enough con to rescue Saai.

[spoiler=chapter 6]LOL.

I never noticed that. Good thing!

Now you can just drop him somewhere and have him DESTROY some troops! (Y)

Speaking of the link arena, Menmus has the boss icon as a NPC. (very minor, but I just happened to notice)

M0boEdo.png

I'm bad at this, yes.

Actually, I also just noticed that the Wonder Pupil animation uses the hoof step instead of normal footstep. (Noticed this on hard flooring, like the tile in the link arena)

Yeah, there's very little I can do about that boss sigil as far as I know.

It doesn't bother me anyway, it's pretty cool, lel

...just track down in a doc all the wrong SFX you notice and I'll fix them sooner or later

thanks, sweetie

[spoiler=Chapter 6 and 7?]Love how Saai has that Soul Mirror that shines green - I can't steal it
NOOOO!
Probs some plot item or something... *sigh*

Menmus is too strong, my lucky growths made him into a beast ^^
But, it seems skill is an occurring shortage in my growths :/ That luck
19str 9skl 9spd - Cristoph

20str 15skl 15spd - Menmus o.O