[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

Hi there Alfred! Just created this account to thank you for creating this hack. I think Midnight Sun is what FE8 could have been if the latter had taken more advantage of its setting (mainly the Demon King). Back when I first finished Sacred Stones I couldn't help but think how much more interesting the game would have been if it had been told

from Lyon's point of view. I wonder if that off-hand mention of the Lazulian prince being possessed was a reference to the Lyon in a parallel universe...

I thought the map design and pacing in general was very good, though I felt the last chapter was surprisingly on the easy side. It's probably due to the lack of urgency to push forward, so maybe this can be fixed in a later patch?

Most of the soundtrack was refreshing to listen to. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the post-battle screen music from Trails in the Sky make the cut; have you played that game before?

Not going to comment on the story and characters since this hack is only halfway done, but it's safe to say you've got one guy hooked here :) I just wonder if there's any plot justification for Fa's Hector-like defense stat; IIRC in FE7 Hector's heavy armor was mentioned in both main story and support dialogue.

Again, thank you for all your hard work and please take your time with the rest of the hack. Thumbs up!

Thank you very much for the appreciation!

Yes, that was a reference to the Lyon of a parallel universe.

Unfortunately, I haven't played Trails in the Sky. I love the music though!

Fa's bulkiness is due to how dark magic works in this world (even in Awakening dark mages have more base def than usual). It will be addressed in some dialogues anyway, mainly supports

Ch.8 has been improved. Now it gives off less exp and it's well paced.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35455&page=83#entry3677866

Everyone: You guys are the best. Thanks!

16 chapters? Aren't the Ruins unlocked on the map after Chapter 19? Unless you've found a way around those pesky world map limitations!

EDIT: Since I do NOT want to set up another Paypal account. . .uh, have the blessings of a mod? I really wanna see what you've done with this!

That's fair enough. Thankiesssss ^~^/

Hmmmmh yes, I can work around world map events now.

I'm still not changing the world because that's -very- hard to hack.

I may use a new Magvel design though?

Wait, 16 chapters?

Are your units even going to promote by the time the story ends?

Yup, of course!

Gameplay is my thing, don't worry.

Did your decision to finish the hack by the end of the year result in you shortening the hack to 16 chaps?

No, it's the opposite. The story I had in mind would finish in chapter 16. Anything else would be forced, and just meant to make the hack longer.

At first I was ok with making the hack longer, but in the end I decided to do what in my opinion would deliver the best quality product.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I'm registered, I just wanted to give some feedback words. I started to follow this hack a few months ago, and the strong point of this hack is the story plot. It haves a lot of story plot twists which you never expect to happen, plus the diversity of units (characterization and that stuff) makes it more enjoyable. Too bad that I was spoiled of chapter 8 before playing this game. Curse you, Markyjoe (?

Whatever, keep it up. I'm looking forward to winter release, and I really don't care to start again, in fact I'm excited about it xD

Yup, of course!

Gameplay is my thing, don't worry.

I ain't worrying, haha

I know that you of all people are really good when it comes to gameplay, so good luck!

Edited by Pixelman

december 2015 release date o bby

I'm kinda disappointed that it'll be even shorter than vanilla FE8, but the improved difficulty should make it feel longer and the postgame and gameplay in general should give it replay value. Good luck man!

I personally feel Fire Emblem fan hacks SHOULD be short, if only so they can reasonably be expected to be finished.

I would ask for 12 chapters from a typical FE fan game, we're technically getting 24 thanks to the route split, so I'm honestly surprised.

Just started my hard mode run. I noticed that there is no special dialogue btw Menmus and Tirado when they fight (I assume it's the same with Menmus and Cattleya). Is this just a bug or have they not been written?

Edit: also no special dialogue btw Fa and Tirado. TBH, it's not a big deal but it kind of breaks the immersion for me :/

Edited by jl260

Just encountered a glitch in ch5x:

When I move any one of my units and select "wait", the game thinks that I just killed Asra (the paladin on the left) and the shaman reinforcements are triggered. Funny thing is I never had this glitch in my first playthrough...

Edit: The reinforcements aren't actually triggered on the next turn, it's just that the other lieutenant's speech about Asra being killed is triggered. Then when I actually kill Asra, this speech isn't triggered.

Edited by jl260

if it is going to be shorter, then when do the lords promote, or can they promote at any time past chapter 8?

They'll promote at the end of chapter 13.

Just started my hard mode run. I noticed that there is no special dialogue btw Menmus and Tirado when they fight (I assume it's the same with Menmus and Cattleya). Is this just a bug or have they not been written?

Edit: also no special dialogue btw Fa and Tirado. TBH, it's not a big deal but it kind of breaks the immersion for me :/

Yeah sorry for that. I had a technical limitation for that, but I should be able to fix it now.

Just encountered a glitch in ch5x:

When I move any one of my units and select "wait", the game thinks that I just killed Asra (the paladin on the left) and the shaman reinforcements are triggered. Funny thing is I never had this glitch in my first playthrough...

Edit: The reinforcements aren't actually triggered on the next turn, it's just that the other lieutenant's speech about Asra being killed is triggered. Then when I actually kill Asra, this speech isn't triggered.

That's a bug caused by some event IDs don't working properly.

It has been fixed already, but as for now, just restart the chapter (since it happens at the beginning). Sorry for the disease.

Also, THANK YOU to all the people who donated so far! ^^

Edited by Alfred Kamon

The names "Puledra" and "le truffe" ringed a bell in my head. I made research, i find the thief's name quite simple yet so "special" in some way. My lungs are bleeding because of the research results on Puledra.

(Gr8 hack btw. Ya got my support)

The names "Puledra" and "le truffe" ringed a bell in my head. I made research, i find the thief's name quite simple yet so "special" in some way. My lungs are bleeding because of the research results on Puledra.

(Gr8 hack btw. Ya got my support)

Now you are part of the caste. Don't betray us.

Yeah, that has been fixed since long but not in the actual version.

It's a rare occasion anyway, and everything will work fine in the final version.

Thanks for reporting though!

P.S. Something similar happens when an NPC steps inside the cross-shaped pattern in the temple in ch.7.

That has been fixed already, but it still is a thing in your current version.

Just reading all the progress here in your rom hack :DominicanRepublic: ; ]

i see this 3 months ago and register for say thanks to this game demo.

Im back again and i just read your forum again and this time i see you will release a new version of the project in december of this year (HYPEEE!!!)

this is my first rom hack played ever!

At least your hack will be Great.

I will stay a long time here :3:

KEEP IT UP THE GOOD WORK!

I can't wait till December.

once Winter Break starts, I will (Try) to stream Midnight sun and have a mini marathon. Because goddamn, this game is awesome.

Same here <3

I will upload let's play videos about this great game.

Aaaaaaa HYPE!!!