[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

Also wow, so many people going with Shiori.

After the "stealth mission" chapter, people obviously wanna see what other kinds of unique chapters you can dish out. Also, I find Shiori to be a more interesting character than Faratrass. And hotter.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, when variety is a selling point, I typically jump on the bandwagon for that. Granted, I didn't like the level of variety in RD, and I feel 7's is just right in terms of variation. However, I feel varied objective variety is MS's main selling point, so I'm going to take the more varied route for that reason.

That, and status effects can go DIAF

Edited by MCProductions

Interesting!

Anyway, meet a new enemy concept:

ghost.png

It's a promoted class. An ultimate glass cannon, capable of dealing serious damage to anyone in your party, double slower units, or even 1RKO some of your weaker ones. Phantoms also are ridiculously resistant to magic, so it's not a good idea to use it against them.

Their weakness is their low HP, combined with very low Def (they have low bases, growths, and even low caps: 40 HP and 15 Def).

So it's usually best to avoid them and attack them as soon as they're in range with some accurate and powerful weapons. Especially accurate, considered their class skill.

Phantom's skill: Ghost Trick (can traverse any tile, even those occupied by walls or enemies, without any terrain penalty. +10 Avo against physical weapons)

Some battle calculations:

[spoiler=Against Phantoms]
calcs1.png
Whelp! Even a promoted unit like Cristoph can't do much with magic against these guys...
calcs2.png
...It's a whole different matter with physical weapons, though!
calcs3.png
Unpromoted Valpurga gets a x2 with the Agile Hasta, but even with her 16 Def she'd get a lot of damage in return in case she missed.
calcs4.png
Shiori's Judelight can't judge them hard enough!

Edited by Alfred Kamon

CRISTOPH CAN USE LIGHT MAGIC?!

Ahem. . .

I don't like status effects, so Shiori's route it is! Also, because I'm fond of Judgelight.

Question for the routes. Are we going to have any characters who are only available on one route until they connect? (Innes and Saleh vs Knoll and Duracell)

Edited by B.Mage

ghost.png

... Are those 30/30/30 offensive caps? Oh dear... good thing most physical attacks can floor them, or they would be devastating.

• 2 weeks later...

Why isn't there an option for both of them?

I'd really like to go both. :D

I think I'll test Shiori's one first.

You know how there's a chapter called "Interlude"? Because it saves there, you can reset the game, then copy that file to another slot, so you have two interludes. Then you can do both routes.

• 2 weeks later...

That moment when you prefer Faratrass as a character but want Innovative chapter goals from shiori's route :(

still chose Faratrass!

Yeah... Shiori's route looks way more fun, but I just can't stand Shiori as a character... something about her just really grates on me. ;>_>

Edited by The Magus

I don't know, Shiori kindof annoyed me a bit to start with. But the way I see it, given what happened in Ch. 8 and the Interlude, she's got more of a character arc to come for the immediate future. After all...

[spoiler=Concerning plot twists covered in the Interlude...]

At this point, Faratrass has already grown as a person quite a bit; apart from possibly learning what's happened to her country and her foster mother now that the DK's hordes have wandered in and are munching their way through the populace, there's not a lot I can see happening to her for the immediate future. Of course, I could be wrong; Hellios' betrayal may be hurting her deeper than she showed in the Interlude.

Shiori on the other hand, has the revelation that she's another Hoikade princess, and we have no idea how she not only ended up the Saint of Pylum, or how the DK got her eyes. Is there some shady deal with the devil in her backstory perhaps, one that gave her his malice-sense? She's yet to come to terms with these facts, and if I recall she's been shoved down a few notches from her previously confident, occaisionally trollish self, to a constant state of uncertainty. Away from Fa, she's got several chapters to go through some development...

...So as much as like Fa, Shiori is currently more intriguing to me. I'll reserve proper judgement of Shiori's personality until I see how things play out (and I know no more than the next person about where the plot's going from here).

Honestly the game is very good as far as we have available and both routes have their own share of plot points that make them attractive, not to mention gameplay diferences, so picking which to play first is rather hard and I have to wonder how much the late part of the game will change depending on the selected route, considering some of the stuff Alfred has shown to be planning I find it hard to pick only one as both of them have good gameplay and history hooks that push you to play them.

Good stuff man, good stuff.

What im probably going to do is play them bouth at the same time and pick the one with better stats unless alfred makes alot of changes if you pick fa/shiori after chapter 16?

Bad english sorry if i made a mistake.

From chapter 16, the chapters will be the same, just like in Vanilla FE8.

Honestly the game is very good as far as we have available and both routes have their own share of plot points that make them attractive, not to mention gameplay diferences, so picking which to play first is rather hard and I have to wonder how much the late part of the game will change depending on the selected route, considering some of the stuff Alfred has shown to be planning I find it hard to pick only one as both of them have good gameplay and history hooks that push you to play them.

Good stuff man, good stuff.

Thank you very much! :D

Yeah, you got pretty much what I wanted to do with the route splits.

Request. Can any of you do spell animation scripts? I'd need a hand with some of them. If you're good at them, send me a PM!

I registered an account just want to say thank to you and your team for all of your hard effort. This is about 3 years ago for the last time I played FE and now your hack just brought me back with these interesting memories. I hope you will continue it until the end and I am waiting for the next release. While waiting your next patch, I will probably replay the 7 endings of Chapter 2 :)

• 2 weeks later...