[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're still taking chapter suggestions, how about a chapter where you have to guide a red unit across the map (basically an inverse of the interception idea). The enemy would be green units out for blood, and other distractions (for example, the red unit has thief AI and there are chests all across the map...)

For supports, Hellios/everyone Garion/Shiori would have some potential.

Interesting. Three things:

1. Do you mind porting the video description here, since it doesn't show up in an embedded video?

2. Would it be possible to rerun this with some sort of Defense stat, to illustrate how they interact?

3. Does this port over to Magic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ7unGF7E98&feature=youtu.be

This is a new custom skill for Alfred Kamon's hack of FE8, "Midnight Sun" completearrow-10x10.png with procing animation. The unit has a (Skill + 10)% chance of having his/her attack power doubled before enemy defense is subtracted out. In the first example, you'll note that Fa deals 40 damage. Here, her attack is 20 and the enemy defense is 0 (to show that it's not just Pierce and to make Atk easily visible in battle) so (20*2) - 0 = 40. Once the NPC attacks, the attack power drops down to 16 and thus only does 32 damage when the skill activates.

It's basically an SNES style critical. In the above video, Fa does 15 damage when the skill procs because (10*2) - 5 = 15

It technically works for magic as well, but the only class that will have the skill isn't a magical class.

Edited by Brendor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ7unGF7E98&feature=youtu.be

It's basically an SNES style critical. In the above video, Fa does 15 damage when the skill procs because (10*2) - 5 = 15

It technically works for magic as well, but the only class that will have the skill isn't a magical class.

Can't describe how good this is! XD
Thank you so much Bren, your skillz are always insane ^^

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Can't describe how good this is! XD

Thank you so much Bren, your skillz are always insane ^^

Prego, caro. Now to make Aether and Sol

Is this just a sample skill?

No it will actually be in the game but I made a video on it to act as an example of my progress with adding custom skills

You know with all these ideas I would not be surprised if this project got put on FEXP.

Are you doubting my skill-making skills?

Alfred, you know to add more skills with animations since I spent mad time dissecting and understanding it all

I spent a lot time and code figuring out how the skills work and rewriting it to add more. I hope Alfred puts all the work to good use and the players enjoy them.

inb4 Klok bugs me about skills for FE8CM

inb4 Klok bugs me about skills for FE8CM

It's inevitable

About some of the skills in the link, I have a fair bit of concerns for a couple, mainly because they have potential to break the game. Enemies's understandable because they're for challenge, but a player's options might as well make that feels neglectable. I could be just paranoid because I didn't experience them yet, but then again neither have anyone, including you, yet. You may want to continue thinking some of these through. It's your hack so it's fine if you want to keep them, but I urges you to think them out more and see what you could change if something came to you.

It's inevitable

About some of the skills in the link, I have a fair bit of concerns for a couple, mainly because they have potential to break the game. Enemies's understandable because they're for challenge, but a player's options might as well make that feels neglectable. I could be just paranoid because I didn't experience them yet, but then again neither have anyone, including you, yet. You may want to continue thinking some of these through. It's your hack so it's fine if you want to keep them, but I urges you to think them out more and see what you could change if something came to you.

I'm sure Alfred knows what he's thinking/doing.