Characters That Grew On You

Loki Laufeyson

So yer playing a Fire Emblem game and theres a couple of characters you didnt really like that much to start with. After coming back to that game a couple of times, and maybe even unlocking supports, you find that those couple of characters arent as annoying or bad or whatever as you originally thought.

Which are they?

FE7: Initially, i wasnt a fan of Serra. One of the first times i used her and promoted her, her magic was at 5. Promoted from like, level 12. Oi.... Plus her character kinda grated on me. But after using her and raising her more and unlocking her supports, i grew to really love Serra. Shes pretty interesting and we get a glimpse at as to why shes all "djfdjfdsf" and silly. Poor Serra. Plus shes a good unit when raised.

Heath. I never disliked him or anything, just never used him much at all for a long time. That changed. Hes amazing as a unit and his supports show that hes a really nice guy. I love his supports with Legault! loool.

Rath. I always kinda liked him but after awhile...that turned to "BEST HORSE BOW GUY EVER!"

FE8:

Marisa. Well shes not spectacular as a unit even when Tower/Ruins abused. And at first, i thought her the cliche hot sword chick with the cold attitude. Her supports say otherwise. Shes actually pretty socially awkward and theres a nice girl under there somewhere. So yeah i kind of dig her personality a bit more now. (As a unit, not so much but oh well.)

Orson. I hated him because Y U BETRAY MAH NIGGAS EIRIKA AND EPHRAIM! but after really thinking about his story, its horribly tragic. Decent writing there.

FE9:

Calill. Really didnt like her at all. Like AT ALL. Im still not her biggest fan as a unit though. (Sorry, Soren bias) But after unlocking some of her supports, shes actually pretty cool. I think her FE10 self helped that opinion where she kinda calmed down a bit.

Largo. Mostly because i really never used him much. His supports are hilarious! Hooray for Largo! Plus keeping up with a certain SA LP of that game...yeah.

FE10:

Fiona. Man...well ok she is pretty bad as a unit. It takes a lot of love and turn spam to get her to be anything workable. But you know what? I grew to really love this chick. I wish we had proper supports in this game because there are a lot of characters that would be more interesting that way and Fiona is one of them. Id love to hear more about Marado, her father, and junk. Plus, since i have taken the time to get her decent, i dig her later performance.

Almedha. Sorta like the Orson thing. Almedha is a bit grating but the shit she went through kinda ruined her mind. I find it pretty sad. I always thought that after she finds out who her real son is, she found some peace of mind and wasnt so crazy anymore.

Mia. Ok i dont love Mia. This is mostly as a unit thing. I still find her personality to be really lame. But in this game, as a unit, she whomps ass and i can truly appreciate that.

Haar. Ive been mostly ambivalent to Haar's existence for a good while. Like he never really stood out. But this game rolled around and he was godly. I still found him a bit overrated but...really...hes not. Hes damn awesome and going back and playing FE9 and then playing this game, i think his character was pretty cool. Sure he was a sleepy bastid, but he really did give a shit about Shiharam and Jill. Awwww.

Naesala. Thought him a shitty turncloak for hella days. But his story in FE10 (especially when he calls Lekain out on the loophole) was pretty great. Plus hes my favorite royal because hes not quite as broken as the others.

This is gonna be tough sine I more or liked most of the playable characters in the series the moment I recruit them but sure why not?

FE7

:Florina: Surprisingly... >_>

It's not so much that I didn't like her but the fact that I didn't know what to think of her since I had never heard of a fear of men at the time and someone as shy as her. I was perplexed and I just wanted to know more about her and why she fears men so some supports later, mostly Farina's and Serra's, and I'm like the number 1 Florina fanboy even if her supports didn't really shed any light on her fear of men. That kinda irks me.

Rath. His silent badass thing kinda bugged me at first but his supports pretty much explained why he's so bad at interacting with others so I kinda have a soft spot for him.

FE8

:Amelia:

I liked her right away but I wanted to know more about her. Luckily her Franz and Duessel supports are like the best thing in FE8 but then I feel bad for having her get an A support with either of them. :Knoll:

And I can't really think of anyone else besides Sariya. >_>

Lachesis, because I only recently got to use C4 Rescue Lachesis. Also I'm better at Prayer/Defense sword abusing the Arena now. (lol.) Also Lex and Tiltyu's kids, because way back when, I had this little thing about my units being this close to dying, and so they didn't actually get to proc Wrath Ambush a whole lot and then I found them underwhelming. And Rescue, Warp and Return staves, even though staves don't actually count as people, do they?

Definately Calill as well. At first I thought she was just some vain shallow woman, but her supports are pretty funny and she's actually a nice character in her supports.

Also from Fe9 is Tauroneo. My first thought was: What a boring general, but after a while I started to like him and now he's one of my favorites.

Pelleas did a good job at growing on me too. At first I thought he was just a weak and whimpy ruler, but he does some nice growing in the game.

Narshen. Harold and all of his brothers. Devdan. Makalov. Villuck (and the rest of Hardain's team of losers).

I actually liked Naesala less once I learned he was blackmailed into doing all that backstabbing. If you're gonna turn coat, at least have the decency to be a total remorseless jerk about it.

I'd have to say........

Axemen in general.

I used to really like the swordlocked units, but then one thing kept bugging me.

LOW DURABILITY

NO 1-2 RANGE.

or in the case of mercs

ARRIVING LATER THAN AXEMEN, OR BEING A BIT UNDERLEVELLED/FRAIL(Raven, OJ)..

And then I played fe5, used Dagda, Othin, Halvan, Brighton, Hicks, Marty, and the other ones and loved it.

Then I started to use axemen more in the others.

and got a Bartre with capped hp/str/skl/spd, and every other stat was pretty damn high.

OH HEY, 20 RES WARRIOR.

TAKE THAT NERGAL.

also, did I mention I'm a Hawkeye fan?

I didn't like Claude at first because I thought he should've seen the chapter 5 thing, then I read his convo with Aideen. I also hated Trabant before I played Thracia through.

LNM made me dislike Lyn.

FE 7

Lloyd and Linus

I used to HATE them, but just because I used to not be very good at the game, and I always had trouble with their chapters. Now I really like them since I'm older! :) They look really cool, and they are really nice to Nino! :3

FE 8

Saleh

I never really used him because he acts like he's really cold... But then I used him for a bit and was like "He's actually kind of cool..." THEN I got his support conversation with Gerik, and I saw that he's not mister "I must help the Great Dragon, leave me alone".

And that's all I can think of at the moment... owo;

FE6:

Gonzales. I felt so bad for him, srsly.

Geese. Felt bad for him too. Wow I love pirates/berserkers.

Sue. Liked Rath, ended up using her, god I like using her now.

Lugh. Ok fine its probably because he's a speedy mage but w/e.

FE7:

Lowen: I dunno I just got used to using Lowen so much. I love the fact that he's defensive. Mounted tank ftw!

Hawkeye: Dat animation.

FE8:

Trainess. Really I just got addicted to training them up to max levels lol.

Forde and Kyle- They weren't wtf amazing like Franz or Seth but I somehow just ended up using them in every playthrough of mine. Along with Franz and Seth. xD

EDIT: Oh and Saleh, because once I got his supports I liked him even more. Totally love his support with Eirika. I support an Eirika x Saleh pairing.

Edited by Bluedoom

I never really used Sue much since Shin kinda kicks a ton of ass (Hard Mode-wise), but then I read her supports and was like, "damn, girl's badass."

Cecilia as well. Well, she's always been badass since >general but I really ended up liking her after supports.

And Yodel is totally Niime's love interest yep yep

Shinon for me. Initially, I thought he was rather annoying because of how stuck up and prejudiced against laguz he is. But he kicks ass in RD, and his conversations with a bunch of people are just utterly hilarious. And his hate for Ike is hilarious too lol. Also, Shinon has the best line in the whole series:

"Gatrie, I swear you'd hit on a tree if I dressed it in a skirt! Tell me I'm wrong!"

:XD:

Anacybele please, do not say things like that when you have not played all the games...

Say things like what? I have no idea what you're talking about. :/

Also, please, do not boss me around when you're not even a moderator.

Edited by Anacybele

Anacybele please, do not say things like that when you have not played all the games...

Da hell is this? Srsly, bro. There wasnt anything wrong with her post.

Oh yeah Saleh is another one. "Bah prepromote sage in a game thats hella easy..." But hes pretty useful and his supports rock. I also find him really hunky!

Oh, well, I admit that I haven't played every FE game, but I didn't think it would be that hard to figure out that I really mean the best line I've seen in the series so far. xP

This happens in pretty much every FE for me.

I'll list them in my playing order.

FE9: In my first playthrough, I had no favourites (I didn't even expect to acquire any favourites), so I let die whomever got him/herself killed. This included Soren, right near the beginning. From my second playthrough onward, I tried to make better use of him (which involved force-feeding him Bonus Experience), and he's now my favourite character in the series. Same with Nephenee, then Mist, though she's not one of my favourites, and then eventually Astrid (which surprised me).

FE8: Amelia. The same thing happened to her that happened to Soren. She died pretty early because she sucked, but in my third playthrough I decided to raise her up in the Tower of Valni, and I did not regret it. I now can't play through the game without using her. This also happened with Lute.

FE7: ...I suppose this happened with Matthew. I couldn't figure out how to get the Fell Contract in my first (and maybe second, I can't remember) playthrough, so I didn't think he was worth much. I just used Jaffar as my Assassin instead.

FE10: I never used Heather until I found out about her lesbian affair with Nephenee. Now she's one of my favourites. (I know, I'm terrible.) The characters that are mandatory in the Endgame (Sanaki, Kurthnaga, Ena) also grew on me after a couple of playthroughs- but probably only because I had to use them. My Wii is broken so I can't play this any more, but when I get a Wii U and start a new game I'm planning on bringing Vika and Lyre into the Tower of Guidance, neither of whom I've ever used (due to them being weaklings). They've actually grown on me outside of gameplay.

FE11: Castor. Liked him initially, found out he was outclassed by Wolf and Sedgar and dismissed him. However, I've recently picked him back up and even though he's not the best unit in the game, he's good enough for me. It's really his name that makes me like him though, Castor being one of the Gemini twins and that being my birth sign. And Julian - I never used him at first because I was annoyed that he couldn't promote; that was before I found out about his awesome growths and his level cap of 30.

I've not played any others all the way through. That makes me look like a crappy fan, doesn't it?

But she's right. That line is amazing.

I disliked axemen. It's just...I don't know, brute force, so savage swinging axes, I preferred the agility and swiftness of myrmidons/swordmasters, pegs/falcos, but then...Boyd appeared...and now, he's one of my favorite units.

Also, I was the "no shamans, just monks and mages" guy, but you know, Canas...Luna...Crits...ZOMG! Oh, Pelleas and Flare made this class grew on me.

*back to topic*

FE10:

Tormod

I didn't like him on FE9, he was so childish, fiery. But now he's just ok at FE10. He grew up :b

Astrid

ParaBlossom

I would say Lehran.

He wasn't properly introduced until very late into the game. It simply took me some time to let it sink in how this guy suffered through the centuries and how it lead to the man in the present.

-He lost his identity as an heron after the birth of his child.

-The shortsighted decisions he made in regards to the branded (keeping the truth about the branded secret, faking his own death and giving his child away and denying it's existence and forbidding this sort of relations between the races) lead all the branded and his own offspring to suffer.

-He tried to end the hostilities between the races all by himself for more then 800 years but no matter how hard he struggled, he never accomplished anything significant. Sometimes the Laguz were dominant, sometimes the Beorc but nothing fundamentally ever came of his efforts.

And then, prior to the games, he meet one of his descendants: Sanaki's Grandmother and current empress.

A strong woman, determined to put an end to both the discrimination of the Laguz and the Branded. She made him such great hopes that he was going to go back to Goldoa to laugh in Deghinsea's face.

Those hopes were crushed in the cruelest way possible.

The empress was assassinated and his own kin was blamed for it, leading to the destruction of the Serenes Forest and the genocide of the Herons.

I found the version in the extended script particular heartwrenching. He gets flashbacks while trying to calm Yune while the chaos around him reigns.

It really puts all those long centuries into perspective.

Anyway, it's no wonder that after all of this, that he was convinced that all the good that the races had could never prevail against their lesser qualities. And that their was only one way to end that madness.

Oliver. I thought he was really lame in PoR, but then he acquired additional levels of badass in FERD.

Are you serious?

Because, I have to say that this guy is really the most irritating thing in Radiant Dawn for me.

In PoR he was the guy who was the embodiment of everything that was wrong with the Begnion Senate.

He completely dehumanized Laguz, treated them as objects while believing himself above everyone else's judgment.

Appropriately, his defeat ceased the hostilities between Begnion and the Hawks and gave a foundation for an improvement of the Beorc & Laguz relations in general, as well as providing the Crimean's with an powerful ally.

In short, I say he was way to nasty to be played as comic-relief and his dead had way to much impact to be undone like that.

Bringing him back as a complete goof was a horrible decision all around.

Edited by BrightBow