Shattered Honour Chapter Three

Parrhesia

Eventually, with nothing else really left to do or say, you cave in to the desire to sleep.

By the morning, the Drowned Bull has a modest pack of regulars, but it's certainly quieter than last night.

(I'll be away for a day and a half, so just chat amongst yourselves for the time being I guess)

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Did anyone even notice that I left, or that I returned? I feel so ignored...' Leon thought to himself in the morning. 'Ah well, I should find that person who told us about the change, to tell him what I decided.'

So he looked around the tavern for the one who had talked to them. "Excuse me, Jack -was it?- I've made up my mind about what you said yesterday."

Jacob, thanks to getting to sleep sooner than almost everybody else, wakes up early. Finding himself with nothing to do, he steps outside to try and enjoy the feeling of the sun on his skin. He's still there a while later, when everybody else wakes up.

Jordan didn't sleep well, but he had assumed that not many others did. His assumption was probably wrong but it wasn't like he was about to challenge anyone on their sleep. As he spotted the crowd inside the bar he decided to take a step outside, seeing Jacob simply hanging around. Might as well try to talk to someone. "Morning, Jacob. Sleep well?" Small talk, why not?

Jack looked up to see the man, Leon?, who had stormed out on them yesterday. "Ah, hello. I'm sorry I didn't catch you last night, but we had marched a long time yesterday and needed sleep. You say you've made your decision? Excellent. What might that be?"

"Yeah, I did. It wasn't easy, but I decided to stay in this group," Leon said. "It looks like you could use all the help you can get; besides, it's not like I can easily get back to my home, so the best thing for me to do would be stay in the group. Don't get me wrong, I'd *like* to be home, but there must be some sort of reason for me being with you guys, you know, fate or whatever."

Jack nodded. "There's something guiding all of us. I believe that. Call it faith, call it a god, call it what you will. I'm glad you are joining us. I wouldn't have liked having to fight you if you chose to try and warn Chisford."

Jacob spots Jordan as he steps outside, but he chooses not to disturb the man.

Which proves to be a useless idea, as he walks right over to Jacob and asks him about his night.

"I got around as much rest as I usually do. So, not much. Although having something softer than stone to sleep on was a nice change of pace."

He sighs, looking toward the sky.

"How are you holding up? Are you ready for whatever comes next?"

"Ah, I see. The bed was nice, yes. I'll always prefer an inn to outside." A small pause happened between the two, Jordan immediately feeling awkward, but luckily for him Jacob posed a question.

"How are you holding up? Are you ready for whatever comes next?"

"Am I ready? Not sure if I can answer that..." he sighed, himself, and thought it over for a moment. "I don't want to die, that's for sure. If that means that I have to kill more people, then... I guess I'll have to, won't I? It's not like there's any place I could just run off to. What about you? Are you ready for all this? I won't lie, I was a bit shaken by what happened to Lena..." He didn't want the same fate to come to himself.

"Whatever comes next, I'm not going to back down, and I'm not going to give up. Until this ends, or until I die, I will keep fighting!"

He closes his eyes.

"I hope that sounded more convincing out loud than it did in my head. Basically, I'm going to stick with everyone, and I'm going to fight. If I left now, I'd never be able to live with myself."

"Convincing enough for me," Jordan said as he gave Jacob a pat on the shoulder. "We should probably check back with Jack to see what's going on with the groups. He seems to have turned into quite the leader, eh?" Jordan smirked and headed back into the pub, spotting Jack talking to someone from the other group. "So, lover boy, how are things with all our soldiers?"

Jack grinned. Lover boy, eh? Well, I've had worse nicknames I suppose. "Ah, well, we gained four new members yesterday who seem like they'll fit in just fine. We've got the twins and Leon for sure. I'm not sure about Bilbo or any of the others, but I'm hoping they'll just follow the rest of their group. How are you and Jacob doing? I know you two both were pretty shaken by Lena's death. Understandably so. That was... a tragedy." He clenched his fist and stares off unhappily out the window.

Jacob follows Jordan inside and approaches Jack. He looks around the room for a moment. A large portion of their group is settled nearby, along with a few others, but for the most part, the place has a lot less people than it had the night before. This settles him slightly. He finds the notion of getting into a bar brawl to be a less than pleasant idea.

After a moment, Jack asks how he and Jordan are doing.

"Personally, I was troubled by her death. But death comes for us all; there's no changing that. We must simply press on with our mission. Speaking of, you can count on us. We're not going to abandon you."

He looks toward Jordan.

"Am I right?"

Edited by Strunk

"Yeah, we were in a fight with the Ironteeth Bandits or some such stupid name. It was a pointless ambush on their part. There was no way they could win, but one of our archers was wounded from a past battle and hadn't fully recovered. She was double teamed and no one was close enough to save her. We got her revenge, but that doesn't change the fact that she's dead."

Marsali walks over, having mostly stayed out of the way the previous night. She ignores Jack's companions to address him sternly.

"This whole situation sounds pretty complicated. So far, I think I've been informed of everything, but you should tell me now if there's anything more I should know."

Tordel re-entered, discussion seemed to be well under way.

"I know you two both were pretty shaken by Lena's death. Understandably so. That was... a tragedy."

"Jack, we did what we could. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time, we can only do our best to make sure nobody else joins her. We should press on to Chrisford, if we're lucky we can catch him before he flees."

They had quite a band of soldiers now. It looks like meeting up with the other group worked out for the better.

Edited by Admiral Shin

"Am I right?"

"Yeah, you're right, we're not going anywhere. And yes... it was unfortunate, but..." Tordel stepped in, and Jordan nodded, "he's right. It was unavoidable at that point. It's sad, but we just have to move on." The conversation had taken a rather dark turn, so Jordan felt like prying a bit at Jack to see if he could liven things up a bit. He turned his attention to the man, and asked, "so, how was Jacqui last night?"

Edited by seph1212

Jack turned to Marsali. "We've connected with the rest of our party and have hired some new men. We want to make sure that we're still ok even if the rest of the camp sides with Chisford. That's all the relevant information at this point in time. " To Tordel he added, "I agree we need to move quickly. However, we gain nothing if we're not well prepared. We're going to go resupply soon and then we'll be heading out." He turned to Jordan and winked. "Anybody have anything else to ask?

Bilbo eyes over the bastards, deserters, and sons of whores who made up the "merry band" he is supposed to travel with.

"O Bilbo you fool. O Bilbo you big bumbling fool. I wish I was at home reading up on diseases and eating cake, by the fire and the chanting." And it was not the last time he wished that!

Bilbo guesses he doesn't really have much of a choice. It's either follow these lunatics or die in this cesspool of a town, which he has not really bothered to check at all, unaware that a priority of Venus the Morning Star is only a klik away by foot.

Jacqui casually flings the door open and slaps a sack of money down on a table. Sheila peers over at it.

"This is the bounties for the teeth, less the four we gave those mercenaries. Twelve sixes... that's seventy-two, I think. Less twenty-eight for if any of 'em survive... forty-four. Hah! That's ... enough for someone to buy something. You can fight over it, if you want, but I think in the interests of democracy we should roll off on it if anyone's interested. Hey, innkeeper!"

"Yeah?" Sheila's somewhat less than half-awake.

"What shops are there in the area?"

"Well, my sister Kelsey is a bowyer. There's also Cromwell the armourer and Honest Jon's weapons. They stock some good stuff."

Jacqui nods.

(Roll 3d6 on invisible castle if you want to spend the bounty on equipment for yourself. It will buy one thing, with some change to spare.)

Izdihar can't be fucked to fight over money. Not if she's not allowed to kill, anyways. She'll just kill some scrub and take his weapon if she runs into someone with a bigger axe than hers. No big deal, really. As for armour, Izdihars don't die so that'll be unnecessary.

Edited by Hikarasuman