[Nintendo Direct] First look at English localisation

VincentASM

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'd rather not have a country whose name is pronounced differently, but is spelled the same as a tack on for other words that implies "paralysis".

"Iris" and "Perezia" reference names of type of flowers.

Edited by shadowofchaos

When shall we have the same names as the Japanese version?

Hopefully never. Personally, I cannot remember a single localised name that I liked less than the original other than Caeda/Shiida.

Like Caesar :D

You do know that "ae" can also be pronounced like a long A sound, right? I personally pronounce Caeda "SAY-dah" and honestly, "SEE-dah" just sounds ridiculous, if you ask me.

You do know that "ae" can also be pronounced like a long A sound, right? I personally pronounce Caeda "SAY-dah" and honestly, "SEE-dah" just sounds ridiculous, if you ask me.

Meanwhile "SEE-dah" actually fits the katakana while being a completely valid pronunciation of the English, while "SAY-dah" just comes out of nowhere relative to the original. While the translators are well within their right to make changes, there's no reason to assume they made one when there's nothing to indicate that they did.

Up until this thread pointed it out. I have never realized that "Caeda" is supposed to sound like "Caesar", so I always pronounced "Caeda" as "KA-eh-da". I have not felt this dumb in a long time. emo10.gif

English is not my first language though so I'm half excused for this.

Edited by Axie

Meanwhile "SEE-dah" actually fits the katakana while being a completely valid pronunciation of the English, while "SAY-dah" just comes out of nowhere relative to the original. While the translators are well within their right to make changes, there's no reason to assume they made one when there's nothing to indicate that they did.

They still could've made a change.

Yeah and maybe they meant for Chrom's name to be pronounced "CHROOM". Not likely.

They've made some rather drastic name changes before. For example, Titania's Japanese name is Tiamat. There's only a vague similarity there. And an even better example is Brom, who is called Chap in Japan. Absolutely NO similarity there.

And an even better example is Brom, who is called Chap in Japan. Absolutely NO similarity there.

He's a Chap. And he's a BRO-m.

I personally pronounce Caeda "SAY-dah" and honestly, "SEE-dah" just sounds ridiculous, if you ask me.

It's "See-dah", unless you're suggesting that changing a FEW names automatically qualifies as evidence that they'd totally change the pronunciation for Caeda from シーダ。

The only reason they went with "C" and that spelling is an attempt to make it look more "feminine" than "Sheeda".

Edited by shadowofchaos

...I don't get what you're trying to point out here. Brom is short for the name Bromley from what I know.

It's "See-dah", unless you're suggesting that changing a FEW names automatically qualifies as evidence that they'd totally change the pronunciation for Caeda from シーダ。

The only reason they went with "C" and that spelling is an attempt to make it look more "feminine" than "Sheeda".

I don't give a damn. To me, it's "SAY-dah" and "SEE-dah" is stupid and ridiculous.

Edited by Anacybele

They've made some rather drastic name changes before. For example, Titania's Japanese name is Tiamat. There's only a vague similarity there. And an even better example is Brom, who is called Chap in Japan. Absolutely NO similarity there.

On a just as relevant note, the earth is round.

It means that this post

is equally irrelevant. None of it gives any reason why a translated name that can be pronounced precisely like the katakana would be meant to be pronounced any other way.

I don't give a damn. To me, it's "SAY-dah" and "SEE-dah" is stupid and ridiculous.

Caesar

I mean Aether literally uses the same diphthong, and I assume you know how to pronounce that

Edited by BwdYeti

It must be because I took Latin, but am I the only one who called her "Kai-dah"?

The way I was pronouncing it is quite similar. My first language is Portuguese so it's probably where I got that from. Still kind of stupid that I never realized it was supposed to be "see-dah" though.

The way I was pronouncing it is quite similar. My first language is Portuguese so it's probably where I got that from. Still kind of stupid that I never realized it was supposed to be "see-dah" though.

Yay! I'm not the only one! xD

I know what you mean though, I never looked at it like that.

Brom is a bro and a chap, at the same time.

By the way I pronounce it Kay-duh.

I think we all know it's meant to be Qaeda. Like, Al Qaeda. In fact, it's the name that we're using in the FE12 Translation Project because we disapprove of NoA's localisation completely. Also in the running is Belf > Vergil, Catria > Catelyn and Marth > Marcia. I think Marth is a really stupid name, just FYI.