[Nintendo Direct] First look at English localisation

VincentASM

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So "names" = "badly translated" nowadays, does it?

As someone who knows a second language, I expected you to at least understand that things in one language doesn't necessarily work in another.

It does NOT help that Katakana makes it even harder to decipher exactly what is meant. In higher level Japanese college classes, you don't get graded and marked off for slight mistakes in Katakana because it's so ambiguous. Native speakers have admitted to that.

The only thing I see is that you're vehemently opposed to changing any of the names. That is a STUPID mindset. What "research" is your condition? All you're spewing is what we call "selective bullcrap".

For "Badly translated", I did'nt talk about errors but voluntary name changes (sorry for the mistake of language). It is obvious that translate Katakana is hard, myself I do'nt have that claim. But between Sully-Evening and between Viaur -Vrion there is a difference that isn't phonetic.

Edited by dymew

.....Obviously I don't have enough internet experience, because I cannot for the life of me understand improper English. Being a grammar nazi is a baaaaaad thing on teh interwebs...

If you don't like name changes, there is a simple-yet-not-so-easy-to-do solution: don't get any info about a game that is in another language. (Must have info....! Difficult to stay away...!)

For example, my own experience with names changes. I knew nothing about FE10's Japanese names when I played it for the first time so I am biased toward the NA names and think the Japanese names are a bit odd. Run-on sentence, weeee. To the contrary: for as long--or not so long--as I have known anything about FE1/3 I have loved the fan names, and ever since FE11 was released I've been hating on the NA names.

FE13 here is driving me nuts, just like FE11, because I know the Japanese names and don't want them to be changed. ...But as much as I want to/do complain, it won't change things. Only thing I can do (aside from pointlessly compain) is be stubborn and look silly for using fan names when there are official English names. Sheeda ftw~ Seriously, the only reason I like Sheeda herself is because of her name. If I use the NA name, Caeda, I might just start hating her. I'm silly!

If anything, the right name changes means that the localization team knows what it is doing.

Granted, there will always be people that say "man, what the hell were they thinking when they changed this?" Me being that way for "Plegia". But again it's valid. I'll just have to swallow my pride when I play the English version. But, like you said, they KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY'RE DOING.

And that's not to mention when the name is completely Japanese - which doesn't really happen in Fire Emblem,

I only recall one instance out of all the Fire Emblems that I've played. FE13 "Sairi".

But between Sully-Evening and between Viaur -Vrion there is a difference that isn't phonetic.

And we should care, WHY again? Localization loses meaning all of the time. The point is they're conveying it as professionally and naturally as they can to the intended audience. And in the case of localization in English, people of ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRIES! If they never knew it was "Soiree" or "Viole", they sound like pretty decent names that you might laugh at, but sounds NATURAL for a native English speaker.

And we should care, WHY again? Localization loses meaning all of the time. The point is they're conveying it as professionally and naturally as they can to the intended audience. And in the case of localization in English, people of ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRIES! If they never knew it was "Soiree" or "Viole", they sound like pretty decent names that you might laugh at, but sounds NATURAL for a native English speaker.

Most of our names are not adapted for us, we say Marth "Mart", who is verry hugly, and also?

[edit] Ah, sorry, error >< We can't delete a reply?

Edited by dymew

I wouldn't expect too much from NOE. It's clear they changed the names solely to reflect Brawl.

However, there's no similar circumstance this time.

And I do worry about the legacy characters' names... Please don't use Serlis...

Most of our names are not adapted for us, we say Marth "Mart", who is verry hugly, and also?

"Mars" could have been completely legit as well.

The point is, I can't stand your complaints about NoA that not only have examples that don't make sense, but also don't affect you.

Wait, you were complaining about the NoA names all this time, when you live in Europe where NoA tranlations don't affect you? >_>

Yeah, but it was more a debate about name changes, your translation was just a good example. And will there be a translation of the Japanese version or U.S.? i hope japanese like FE11 but who knows, for translate more "quickly".

"Mars" could have been completely legit as well.

The point is, I can't stand your complaints about NoA that not only have examples that don't make sense, but also don't affect you.

Yes I can say "Mars"(this is how I say that), but when I got the game, I said Marth (I did not try to understand how to say I said to the French).

Edited by dymew

Bashing localized names is pretty much a ritual in this fandom, why are you guys surprised

I wouldn't expect too much from NOE. It's clear they changed the names solely to reflect Brawl.

Brace for Serlis of Jihad, Vincent

I hope they don't stray too far from the fan translation with the legacy characters simply for the sake of convenience, but if they do, I'll deal with it. Or the fanbase simply won't adapt to it, similar to how we still use "Fa" even after FE7 made her name "Fae". Granted, most people don't ever find the conversation where Hawkeye calls her Fae, but since it's not in the main game it is possible that the fanbase will keep using the non-official names.

But for real, I hope Wolt doesn't became "Walt". ;_;

Brace for Serlis of Jihad, Vincent

Oh good lord.... xD

You know, "Serlis" doesn't look so strange anymore. At first, it was BLOODY AWFUL BLASPHEMY. But now, like half a year later or so, it is not so bad. Still don't like it, but...

AHEM! This is an example of "you'll get over it eventually".

Granted, most people don't ever find the conversation where Hawkeye calls her Fae,

But Hawkeye is right there close to the house to go check it out. mellow.gif

Edited by Tsamimi

Honestly I'd be happy with Serlis or Serris or anything else to just get something official to go with and cool down most of the arguments eventually.

Only way it can go bad is if one version uses Celice and the other uses Serlis. Then we'd have another Caeda situation, probably even worse than the current Celice/Serlis dispute.

I don't expect that Celica as Cellica and Serlis as Celice are kinda almost similar that Cellica is called Celica with only one L in the official website for Blazing Sword and Super Smash Bros. Brawl outside of Japan (used twice) and it did have Mediuth as Medeus and Aritia as Altea in Super Smash Bros. Melee, offical website for Blazing Sword, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl before Shadow Dragon came out. I expect that they might use Serlis for Celice to might avoid confusion for the newer fans if they accidently mistaken for Celica (if they being using one L for her name or similarity naming) in Awakening.

I still like Serlis's name.

Edited by King Marth 64

Or Selis. I still say "Celice" looks like it's pronounced like this: seh-LEES -grumbles- Stupid English....

Curious, is there a place that has the katakana of all the characters in the different games? Or that has it on the character page, like on character pages on a wiki or something?

uber late edit: I've found it! On fireemblem.wikia.com ...I'm blind...

Edited by Tsamimi

Curious, is there a place that has the katakana of all the characters in the different games? Or that has it on the character page, like on character pages on a wiki or something?

If you mean FE13:

http://www2.pegasusknight.com/wiki/fe13/index.php?%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A8%E3%83%A0%E3%83%96%E3%83%AC%E3%83%A0%20%E8%A6%9A%E9%86%92%2F%E3%83%A6%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%83%88

Or do you mean a list of Katakana names next to a picture or something?

Because the official site has their katakana under their portrait on the FE13 background site:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/chara_archive/index.html

Or Selis. I still say "Celice" looks like it's pronounced like this: seh-LEES -grumbles- Stupid English....

I did checked that Serlis is a definitly real name. I still wondered if Serlis will still might be used in Awakening or not. And plus, there was a similar name was found from Metroid Fusion that there was an area called Serris.

This is where we actually found Celice was named as Serlis (its the official possible name mentioned outside of Japan). (which it had FE1 as Shadow Dragons and Blade of Light and FE6 as The Binding Blade before they reused in Brawl)

Edited by King Marth 64