Virtually All Manaketes are female and Divine Dragons

Emperor Hardin

Should there be male Manakete and Different Dragon types  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Male Manaketes and other playable Dragon types such as Mage Dragons?

• Yes, we could use more male manaketes and Dragon Types
    • No, Manaketes should stay female only Divine Dragons
    • Male manaketes are not wanted, but different Manakete tribes would be nice
    • I'd like Male Manaketes, yet I see no need for more Dragon types.

Has anyone noticed that it is impossible to have a male manakete in Awakening? Even a male Manakete Marc/Robin is impossible as NoNo, Nn, and Tiki can only be romanced by a male avatar creating a female child.

Additionally there are no non divine Dragon stones in this game. In the entire series we have only had two playable Non-Divine manaketes; Bantu and Myrrh with the former also being the only playable male in the manakete class.

So do you believe future games should have male Manaketes and different types of dragon tribes or do you think IS should stick with the formula they have now.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

I'd like them to mix it up a bit.

I thought Myrrh was a divine dragon? In the japanese version isn't her stone a 'Holy Dragon Stone'?

If not, IDK where I got the idea from... :v

Maybe the monster effectiveness made me make fake memories, or something...

Edited by L95

Hey, hey, hey. There is Bantu, who is a dude and a Fire Dragon.

But yeah, all but one of the playables are female and all but two are divine. Males are usually just bosses and/or villains.

I am not sure if Myrrh and Morva's race of dragon is ever specified beyond "dragon". Magvel needs more world building.

Don't forget Chainey, Gotoh, Kurthnaga, Raijaion, and maybe someone else I'm forgetting.

Oh right. Deghinsea.

Already the males are far more interesting as a whole.

Edited by Ein

Pfff, most of those are laguz. <nitpick>

Also, do Xane and Gotoh count since they can't take dragon form anymore? Both would be divines anyway.

More manakete variations would be nice though, as long as it doesn't get into "token good Mage Dragon" or anything like that.

I think that this is a bit blown out of proportion. It's not like we had all that many little girl dragons before.

We merely had Chiki and Mirrh.

There is Fa, but FE6 was just copying Akaneia. She is a little girl because Tiki was a little girl.

On the male side, we have Bantu, Xane and Goto.

And Laguz are hardly different from Manakete and are mostly male.

If we limit ourselves to the dragons, we have Ena for the females and Kurt, Nasir and Gareth for the males.

It's really just Awakening, that goes crazy with the girls.

But yeah, if we have two dragons to romance, then there is no excuse that neither of them is male.

Edited by BrightBow

Hey, hey, hey. There is Bantu, who is a dude and a Fire Dragon.

But yeah, all but one of the playables are female and all but two are divine. Males are usually just bosses and/or villains.

I am not sure if Myrrh and Morva's race of dragon is ever specified beyond "dragon". Magvel needs more world building.

And sadly Bantu is not that good without Starsphere abuse, though his story is cool.

I think Myrrh is the coolest looking dragon unit in the GBA series.

I'm voting for yes on my topic because playable Manaketes could use a lot more variety and Mage Dragons are always neat. It was really cool in Mystery of the Emblem how you had multiple Dragonstones to use that were good for different situations such as Wyverns being good for flying and Ice Dragons having a lot of defense.

I thought Myrrh was a divine dragon? In the japanese version isn't her stone a 'Holy Dragon Stone'?

In Japanese, her Dragonstone is still just "Dragonstone". I have no idea about whether there was possibly a reference to her being a Divine Dragon in the rest of the Japanese script which was stripped out of the English version. I'm inclined to think there isn't, but I could easily be wrong. Obviously it's impossible to tell given how they didn't get into it at all, but my impression is that Magvel had just the one Manakete breed, ignoring the Draco Zombies for obvious reasons (again, could easily be wrong; I'm no expert on FE8).

I support gender equality in Fire Emblem. I'd like to see more male Manaketes (and non-Divine ones too).

And yes, male Pegasus Knights. And male Troubadours. And female Fighters. And even female Bandits/Berserkers because why the hell not.

Nils might loosely be considered a manakete...obviously this is a storyline issue, not relevant to gameplay.

"Oh but he's always either a human, or when he goes through the gate, he's probably always a dragon!" Go fuck yourself. He's a manakete and his dragonstone is the gate at Valor (...ok it's BS). OH, and his other dragonstone is the ending winter. Pretty badass huh?

I mean, there's not much point in diversifying a PC manakete in FE14 from other PC manaketes in FE, unless it's another big crossover game or there's more than one manakete (hell, Tellius had ****loads of manaketes, those were the 2 best games for manaketes honestly).

Also, do Xane and Gotoh count since they can't take dragon form anymore? Both would be divines anyway.

Xane is a human/humanlaguz laguz. He transforms from a human form into a laguz that can transform into other humans.

but my impression is that Magvel had just the one Manakete breed

And that is definitely because of a very important plot point, and not just because IS had no reason to make multiple dragon tribes in Magvel because there were two named dragons, one dad and one daughter.

Myrrh is a divine dragon, because her dragonstone is effective against the demon king, who corrupted the divine stone of grado. Just like how fa's dragonstone is effective against Idoun, a corrupted divine dragon, but her glitched fire dragon stone isn't (making that one up), and narga breaks lopt's barrier, and chiki and nagi do full damage against medeus and Bantu doesn't (I think - I never played quite that far in an Akaneia game).

She also has a mythical and heroic and established lineage or something. Just like Bantu doesn't, and the black dragon whelps (also divine dragons, at least Dheginsea and Kurth are because they receive blessings from Ashera and Yune respectively) do. OH wait does that mean that most of the units in 4-F are divine...cuz without the FE10 PCs, we'd be nothing but statues.

Within the context of FE13, I admit that might fall apart (dunno).

Edited by L1049

Nils might loosely be considered a manakete...obviously this is a storyline issue, not relevant to gameplay.

"Oh but he's always either a human, or when he goes through the gate, he's probably always a dragon!" Go fuck yourself. He's a manakete and his dragonstone is the gate at Valor (...ok it's BS). OH, and his other dragonstone is the ending winter. Pretty badass huh?

I mean, there's not much point in diversifying a PC manakete in FE14 from other PC manaketes in FE, unless it's another big crossover game or there's more than one manakete (hell, Tellius had ****loads of manaketes, those were the 2 best games for manaketes honestly).

Xane is a human/humanlaguz laguz. He transforms from a human form into a laguz that can transform into other humans.

And that is definitely because of a very important plot point, and not just because IS had no reason to make multiple dragon tribes in Magvel because there were two named dragons, one dad and one daughter.

Myrrh is a divine dragon, because her dragonstone is effective against the demon king, who corrupted the divine stone of grado. Just like how fa's dragonstone is effective against Idoun, a corrupted divine dragon, but her glitched fire dragon stone isn't (making that one up), and narga breaks lopt's barrier, and chiki and nagi do full damage against medeus and Bantu doesn't (I think - I never played quite that far in an Akaneia game).

She also has a mythical and heroic and established lineage or something. Just like Bantu doesn't, and the black dragon whelps (also divine dragons, at least Dheginsea and Kurth are because they receive blessings from Ashera and Yune respectively) do. OH wait does that mean that most of the units in 4-F are divine...cuz without the FE10 PCs, we'd be nothing but statues.

Within the context of FE13, I admit that might fall apart (dunno).

Let's see...

Nils and Ninian are half-Manaketes. They do have Dragonstones, I think they are explicitly mentioned in FE7, but they use normal human classes (if they were playable in Manakete form, they'd be Ice Dragons btw)

Laguz are technically not Manaketes. They serve the same gameplay role I suppose, but they aren't the same thing. It's been speculated that the Manaketes are descended from the Dragon Tribe Laguz, but nothing official.

Xane is not a Laguz of any kind. He is explicitly stated to be a Divine Dragon who lost his dragon transformation abilities but (somehow) gained the ability to imitate humans. I don't think it's ever explained more than this.

Myrrh is just a dragon. The reason her Dragonstone is effective against the Demon King is because the Demon King is counted as a monster, with the Dragonstone is effective against. Trying to argue that she is a Divine Dragon from that is silly (and if she was, they'd probably just reuse Fae's animation) We don't know Myrrh's lineage btw. Morva is her adopted father, not her birth father.

I probably did this wrong. Oh well.

Edited by Otherarrow

as to the equality in fire emblem, I ask this: would having a male lord as the main character of the game and a female that possesses the ultimate power that allows the main character to win not be a form of equality? Perhaps that is the reasoning behind it. there have been some lesser male dragons as stated above but they reserve the role of awesomesaucebeastmode dragon/Incredible necessary force for the females because of the fact that a male has been the main character.

There are arguable exceptions with Erika/Ephraim and Micaiah( but she falls under incredible necessary force because of Yune).

I would like to see more non-Bantu male Manaketes that are playable as such. But I probably wouldn't care less about the dragon type, or the gender for that matter. So I'd be content with either boy or girl, and Fire, Mage (which, if you ask me, really shouldn't be confused with what seems to be the Divine Dragon counterpart to a Dark Dragon in some ways), Wyvern, or another Divine Dragon, or maybe even a new type like a Sea Dragon. (I admit Sea Dragons aren't exactly new per se, but it's something I would like to see in the series outside of scrapped ideas.) My exceptions would be if the dragon in question were an Earth Dragon (Because if I'm not mistaken, not many were on the sane side. And the only exceptions, if you consider them such, weren't exactly all that friendly to say the least.) or a Demon Dragon (Because of the forbidden practices involved behind one.)

On a side note:

Nils and Ninian are half-Manaketes. They do have Dragonstones, I think they are explicitly mentioned in FE7, but they use normal human classes (if they were playable in Manakete form, they'd be Ice Dragons btw)
Minus the Ice Dragon thing, Sophia falls under this as well. But my question is "What dragon type would she be if she had her Dragonstone?" She doesn't seem to be either Fire or Ice, and I don't think a Wyvern Manakete has been seen before in human form. So, unless there's more Manakete types we don't know about, that pretty much leaves either Mage or Divine. Edited by Little Al

On a side note:

Minus the Ice Dragon thing, Sophia falls under this as well. But my question is "What dragon type would she be if she had her Dragonstone?" She doesn't seem to be either Fire or Ice, and I don't think a Wyvern Manakete has been seen before in human form. So, unless there's more Manakete types we don't know about, that pretty much leaves either Mage or Divine.

I've assumed that she was half-Divine, since, as far as we know, all the Dragons in Arcadia are Divine Dragons.

I've assumed that she was half-Divine, since, as far as we know, all the Dragons in Arcadia are Divine Dragons.

Just thought I'd bring it up since Sophia's dragon type isn't really mentioned. Not to mention Athos's flashback to Arcadia does depict Fire and Ice Dragons, meaning Divine Dragons may not be the only draconic Arcadians. Edited by Little Al

Myrrh is just a dragon. The reason her Dragonstone is effective against the Demon King is because the Demon King is counted as a monster, with the Dragonstone is effective against. Trying to argue that she is a Divine Dragon from that is silly (and if she was, they'd probably just reuse Fae's animation) We don't know Myrrh's lineage btw. Morva is her adopted father, not her birth father.

I'm not really arguing that she is or isn't a divine dragon, so much as that there's not really any reason to say she isn't. The basis for her not being "divine" is that she isn't a divine dragon class...but for the people in Magvel, there doesn't seem much reason to bother with the distinction.

If the divine dragonstone is effective against monsters, than maybe war dragons and demon dragons are monsters. I mean, calling a dragon without a soul a monster seems pretty redundant. Of course, fa's dragonstone is also effective against Jahn, who isn't a war dragon...and the fire dragonstones aren't effective against dragons at all. I guess since it apparently isn't effective against wyverns, that could be considered evidence that she isn't (or at least reason not to assume she is based on the stone's capabilities). The sprite is also a different color.

If they were going to reuse Fa's animation if Myrrh was a divine dragon, why doesn't Fa look anything like Tiki? They are both divine dragons, right? I guess that Fa might not be from the same dragon tribe as Tiki...so if they can both be divine dragons, it seems like Myrrh could be one too.

And as for the lineage, sorry, I didn't know that. I still think the point I was trying to make holds true: she's a dragon who was adopted by a dragon who fought against the demon king, seems to put her in a pretty iconic position.

I understand what you mean by this...yes, I also remember dragonstones being mentioned explicitly. My point is that they are manaketes if they can transform into dragons using conventional methods.

As for the laguz thing, I was just joking, but I don't really know why dragon laguz wouldn't be considered manaketes by players (obviously, within the world, the term doesn't seem to be in use, so in that sense they aren't). Apparently the dragons in FE6 used to be able to maintain dragon form much more often, or whenever they wanted - does that mean they weren't manaketes until after the ending winter? If not, I think we have to accept manakete is just one word for a character that transforms between human and dragon (or if the elibe dragons heavily relied on dragonstones even if they didn't need them, perhaps). I was mostly joking about the whole thing though.

Edited by L1049