And now it gets worse

Chocolate Kitty

Here's how the online petition system works:

1. Create a petition.

2. Get people to sign it.

3. Watch it sit and gather dust.

'cause if it really did work, weed would be legal everywhere.

Gotta love the confederate states. I saw someone post a link to the Texas cession petition and said "If you hate the Illuminati, sign this! If you love the Illumanti ignore this!" but in CAPS and more exclamation points.

So you saying I just spent a hot thirty seconds reading from a blog that a pathetically small percentage of a few states total population made a silly silly petition that has no chance of being taken seriously by the government?

OP are you trolling me? Are you trying to get this person some more mileage on their penny-per-pageview?

Meh, America could use a good civil war. It would stimulate the economy and get everyone to stop bitching about relatively small problems by showing them what real problems are like.

Yes, destruction of infrastructure and thousands of lives and livelihoods would be a massive windfall for the United States economy.

Meh, America could use a good civil war. It would stimulate the economy and get everyone to stop bitching about relatively small problems by showing them what real problems are like.

I really don't think that any level of economic stimulation would be worth the death of tens of thousands of people, unless those people are part of the 47% who are useless to society because they don't pay income tax. Wars are technically only stimulating to the economy when they take place a long long way away, like if the United States were to go to war with Germany, Japan, or even Iraq, because a war on United States soil would cause so much destruction as to completely outweigh any economic benefits from increased government spending. Certainly, I doubt that the economy of Iraq was improved in the short term by US invasion. Even Krugman in his "alien invasion" analogy wouldn't say that an actual alien invasion would improve the economy: it's the belief that such an invasion is imminent that alters spending habits and stimulates the economy.

Edited by Anouleth

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. The post casually suggesting civil war as a solution is totally 100% serious.

• 3 weeks later...

We should just take away some federal control/taxation and give back it to the states. Liberals can do liberal stuff and conservatives could do conservative stuff.

The problem is that such a policy would disproportionately disadvantage conservative states. Conservative states tend to be larger geographically, and as a result, take up a greater proportion of federal spending, usually in terms of infrastructure and agricultural subsidies. There's also the problem that red states tend generally to be poorer than blue states and raise less in tax revenue per head (while having to spend more in terms of unemployment insurance and medicaid). And while I'm not sure about this one, I think red states tend to have more senior citizens and thus consume more money in terms of medicare and social security. I don't think it's right to place the greatest fiscal burden on the poorest states.

Except no one has ever proven war actually stimulates an economy other than unemployment rates because everyone gets drafted (hint; that means using unemployment as a measure for economic activity becomes skewed and therefore worthless)

While the destruction it causes is obvious and the cost of fighting is also plain to see.