Wii U

Randoman

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I disagree, I would much rather play the games that were launched on the Gamecube instead of the IPs on the WiiU, except for ZombiU.

That's subjective though. Not everyone will agree with you that the 4 gamecube game are better than the WiiU's 3/4. I personally thought Luigi's mansion was shit and that WR64 was much better than Blue Storm. I tried Nintendoland and ZombiU and they were pretty cool, though I can't say much on NSMBU and NG3.

edit:

I'd like to point out that the WiiU add far more to the game ports than say, a port from Ps2 to Gamecube. People should take that in mind.

Edited by Davinatorman

yeah, and personally, I thought it was much better.

I'd like to point out that the WiiU add far more to the game ports than say, a port from Ps2 to Gamecube. People should take that in mind.

nononono, the only game that has major addons is arkham city.

Edited by seph1212

yeah, and personally, I thought it was much better.

Huh? The gamecube still had the same number of original IP/games as the WiiU has. You may find the Gamecube's release games better (I don't), but to say the Gamecube had a great launch while the WiiU has an utterly shit one is baffling.

nononono, the only game that has major addons is arkham city.

So I take it the WiiU gamepad doesn't exist anymore?

No, it doesn't, it's a gimmick and I promise you it'll die quickly, just like the motion controls for the Wii.

I said the gamecube had a great launch because its IPs were good, and not rehash games of what we've already had before. I still stand that we don't need more NSMB games, and that it's a tired rehash. I haven't played Ninja Gaiden 3, but it's not an IP, it's a port from the PS3 and Xbox, and from all the reviews I've seen, it's not very good. WiiU needs better launch games :E

also, can weeeee stop arguing? I said my piece already with Randoman, you're not going to get anything different out of me. I think the WiiU's launch is really bad. This opinion isn't going to change, and I wish that the games we've been promised had been launched with the console. Even just Pikmin 3 would've made this launch that much better, but alas. So, go bother someone else, unless you want a rehash of my opinion.

Edited by seph1212

I'm going to bet it's as much a gimmick as the touch screen on the DS is. Unlike the Wii, it doesn't suffer from terrible accuracy.

Also, which reviews have you been seeing? From the general consensus I see it's far, far, far better than the original Ninja Gaiden 3.

I personally thought the only decent games for Gamecube Launch was Monkey Ball and Rogue Squadron, and I don't consider 2 new games and 1 port of an excellent game (Crazy Taxi is THE SHIT) better than 3 new games, 1 controversial, although still fun game, and several ports of excellent games.

What about Nintendoland and ZombiU?

Edited by Davinatorman

I'm going to bet it's as much a gimmick as the touch screen on the DS is. Unlike the Wii, it doesn't suffer from terrible accuracy.

Yeah it does. I'd bet on it likely getting a redesign in a short time as from the bits I've watched of others, it seems it can be very unresponsive. It has a hard time sticking. It seems if you just have to tap, you're fine. If on the other hand you're dragging, it looks like it can easily lose track.

That said, it is a gimmick. The DS's second screen was usually a gimmick in most of its games as well. Most killer app titles on the DS could have existed without it and done perfectly fine. I'm sure there will eventually be a few games that make very important use of the pad. But the system isn't actually built around the pad. Same as the Wii's waggle controls, this will also fall by the wayside.

In regards to one game selling a console, just look at the Mega Drive and Sonic the Hedgehog. It does work splendidly under certain conditions.

However Arkham City's not exactly a Nintendo exclusive, and as far as I know the console doesn't come bundled with any games for the price, either (not including Nintendoland because nobody's going to play it after a while, as Seph said, with Wii Sports). It is indeed a rather poor launch.

Edited by Raven

Yeah it does. I'd bet on it likely getting a redesign in a short time as from the bits I've watched of others, it seems it can be very unresponsive. It has a hard time sticking. It seems if you just have to tap, you're fine. If on the other hand you're dragging, it looks like it can easily lose track.

That said, it is a gimmick. The DS's second screen was usually a gimmick in most of its games as well. Most killer app titles on the DS could have existed without it and done perfectly fine. I'm sure there will eventually be a few games that make very important use of the pad. But the system isn't actually built around the pad. Same as the Wii's waggle controls, this will also fall by the wayside.

I didn't think that the second screen on the DS was a gimmick. I actually thought it was really convenient for Castlevania and Fire Emblem. The touch screen was basically the whole point of Trauma Center and The World Ends With You, as well as WarioWare.

http://www.officialn...s_mail_job=4784

This is the list of launch games for the Wii U in UK and EU:

• Funky Barn
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  • Skylanders Giants
  • Transformers Prime
  • Disney Epic Mickey 2. The Power Of Two
  • FIFA 13
  • Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
  • Ben 10: Omniverse
  • Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
  • Tank! Tank! Tank!
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Nintendo Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
  • Darksiders 2
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • Just Dance 4
  • Rabbids Land
  • Sports Connection
  • Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
  • ZombiU
  • Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition
  • Game Party Champions

Games I'd be interested in playing are bolded.

But it's still not enough to make me yearn for a Wii U any time soon. And some of them are also available on platforms I already own (360).

I didn't think that the second screen on the DS was a gimmick. I actually thought it was really convenient for Castlevania and Fire Emblem. The touch screen was basically the whole point of Trauma Center and The World Ends With You, as well as WarioWare.

There are hundreds and hundreds of games in the DS library. TWEWY and the Trauma Center series are some of the exceptions that I mentioned. Most of the games did not require it in the least. It might have also been convenient in some of these games to have a third, or fourth screen displaying information: That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a gimmick for Nintendo to come out with such a screen.

The ports are certainly both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, Nintendo systems are finally getting great third party support that the Wii overall lacked. I know I was jealous when I missed out on every other Assassin's Creed. On the other hand, The fact that most of the launch is full of ports is a lousy option for anyone who already has a 360 or PS3 who have already played those games. Some of these games are a year old, while others are part of a series, locking out anyone who has stood by nintendo systems.

Looking at exclusives, meanwhile, we have various obvious shovelware, another "New" Super Mario Bros. (Fun or not, This one would have benefited more as a new series, imo), the WiiU's Wii Sports, and ZombieU, which I've heard is a massive love it or hate it. There isn't much there for a PS3 or Xbox player, honestly.

There are plenty of promising games announced, and I'm sure there will be even more that are still under wraps, but I don't blame people who think this is a weak launch because, especially for PS3 and Xbox players, there isn't much here to sell the system.

There are hundreds and hundreds of games in the DS library. TWEWY and the Trauma Center series are some of the exceptions that I mentioned. Most of the games did not require it in the least. It might have also been convenient in some of these games to have a third, or fourth screen displaying information: That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a gimmick for Nintendo to come out with such a screen.

I wouldn't really call it a gimmick, though, because it does add value to the games. Unlike, say, the microphone, which didn't add value to any games for me. That would be a gimmick. Gimmicks are features that don't add value to the console or the games and are added just for novelty.

It's true that some games don't take advantage of every feature on the DS. But that doesn't mean those features are gimmicks. For example, if not every game took advantage of the full graphical potential of the PS3, would that make it's higher graphics output a gimmick? I wouldn't, because it still adds value to some of the games. I'm glad that games like Trauma Center, TWEWY and WarioWare exist. I think that other games, like Fire Emblem, Ace Attorney, and even Pokemon are enhanced by the presence of the touch screen. And I don't think that every game on the DS, or even the majority of the games on it, have to use the touch screen to justify it's existence. If that makes it a gimmick, well, then I'm happy that the DS is a gimmicky console because I had more fun with it as a result.

I wouldn't really call it a gimmick, though, because it does add value to the games. Unlike, say, the microphone, which didn't add value to any games for me. That would be a gimmick. Gimmicks are features that don't add value to the console or the games and are added just for novelty.

It's true that some games don't take advantage of every feature on the DS. But that doesn't mean those features are gimmicks. For example, if not every game took advantage of the full graphical potential of the PS3, would that make it's higher graphics output a gimmick? I wouldn't, because it still adds value to some of the games. I'm glad that games like Trauma Center, TWEWY and WarioWare exist. I think that other games, like Fire Emblem, Ace Attorney, and even Pokemon are enhanced by the presence of the touch screen. And I don't think that every game on the DS, or even the majority of the games on it, have to use the touch screen to justify it's existence. If that makes it a gimmick, well, then I'm happy that the DS is a gimmicky console because I had more fun with it as a result.

It's obviously a subjective measurement as to what constitutes a gimmick, but the word is used by the majority of people to refer to something that adds no real benefit. For the majority of games, the second screen offers no tangible benefit to the actual experience. It allows for more information to be displayed, but it is rarely used in a creative means that makes it worth a redesign of the standard gameplay model. This is also true of the touch screen. There are some games such as TWEWY that add a deep, consistent gameplay that jives well with the controls, whereas there are others such as Dawn of Souls that only make use of it in very short segments that could have just as easily been accomplished without its use.

As a tool of immersion and gameplay enhancement, the dual screen failed quite a lot of the time.

It's obviously a subjective measurement as to what constitutes a gimmick, but the word is used by the majority of people to refer to something that adds no real benefit. For the majority of games, the second screen offers no tangible benefit to the actual experience. It allows for more information to be displayed, but it is rarely used in a creative means that makes it worth a redesign of the standard gameplay model. This is also true of the touch screen. There are some games such as TWEWY that add a deep, consistent gameplay that jives well with the controls, whereas there are others such as Dawn of Souls that only make use of it in very short segments that could have just as easily been accomplished without its use.

As a tool of immersion and gameplay enhancement, the dual screen failed quite a lot of the time.

I'd disagree with you that it's gimmicky. I do believe the touchscreen adds benefits to a good number of (non shovelware) games, such as fighting games allowing easy special moves with the touchscreen, or being able to play strategy games with the stylus, which could allow for quicker input. The Wii motion controls was gimmicky because it was never really utilized very well by third party titles and actually was detrimental to some games, but the DS touchscreen doesn't have that problem.

Also, your example is an exception (Dawn of Sorrow I assume?) because a) it's plays very close to it's predecessor, which was on the gba and b) sidescrolling platform/action games in general on the ds don't use the touch screen that much, because it'd likely add more harm than good. I personally believe gimmicks are things that on an overall scare, do more harm than good (for examples, the Boktai sensor, Wii motion controls, microphone on the DS, the 3D of the 3DS).

I'd disagree with you that it's gimmicky. I do believe the touchscreen adds benefits to a good number of (non shovelware) games, such as fighting games allowing easy special moves with the touchscreen,

That's almost as bad as having dial-a-combos. And isn't that only in SSFIV?

or being able to play strategy games with the stylus, which could allow for quicker input.

I do not recall playing a single strategy game where the difference was something that would have mattered if it were just programmed for using a D-pad/analogue stick.

The Wii motion controls was gimmicky because it was never really utilized very well by third party titles and actually was detrimental to some games, but the DS touchscreen doesn't have that problem.

Okay, so you say this...

Also, your example is an exception (Dawn of Sorrow I assume?) because a) it's plays very close to it's predecessor, which was on the gba and b) sidescrolling platform/action games in general on the ds don't use the touch screen that much, because it'd likely add more harm than good. I personally believe gimmicks are things that on an overall scare, do more harm than good (for examples, the Boktai sensor, Wii motion controls, microphone on the DS, the 3D of the 3DS).

And then this. So yes, the touch screen can be generally unhelpful. Just like with waggle controls.

That's almost as bad as having dial-a-combos. And isn't that only in SSFIV?

No, it's in other fighting games, Bleach for one. And how is it bad when it doesn't in any way replace original d-pad motion specials, instead only there if you need it?

I do not recall playing a single strategy game where the difference was something that would have mattered if it were just programmed for using a D-pad/analogue stick.

You may not, but I know several people who do. I also personally found playing Advance Wars and Luminous Arc 2 better with a stylus than d-pad. It's not revolutionary or anything, but it allows for other styles of play that don't impede upon the game, and can be equally probable compared to the d-pad (unlike most motion control vs gamepad options).

Okay, so you say this...

And then this. So yes, the touch screen can be generally unhelpful. Just like with waggle controls.

Name some (non-shovelware) DS sidescroller/platformers that has touch controls that severely negatively impact the game, please. Because I can't think of any. Many xbla/psn sidescrollers/platformers don't use the right thumbstuck whatsoever, does that make the right thumbstick a gimmick? Wii motion controls in itself is extremely flawed, but also add on to the fact that many games are hurt because they decided to shoehorn those controls in (such as Resident Evil 4 or DBZ Tenkaichi), and that's what makes the motion controls a gimmick, while the touch screen isn't. I can't think of any DS game that was straight up ruined because of terrible touch screen controls.

Edited by Davinatorman