Wii U

Randoman

I'm really confused by people's reactions; the Wii U has what I'd consider a great launch line-up. What exactly are these modern systems which have better launches? The only thing Wii U is lacking is the killer exclusive, and NSMB U is pretty close to that. No system since the original Xbox has had an exclusive killer app at launch. I mean, seriously, compare this to Wii launch. Sure Wii had TP, but so did the Gamecube, and that was pretty much the only passable game other than the bundled Wii Sports. How is this worse? Assassin's Creed 3, Black Ops 2, NSMB U, Scribblenauts, Nintendoland, ZombiU, a vastly improved Ninja Gaiden, Epic Mickey 2, and Sonic Racing, plus some sports and great-looking ports.

I'm not saying everyone should rush out and buy it, since there are definitely some concerns about the system's longevity, but it definitely has a huge number of high-quality titles.

Most of those games are available on other, cheaper systems, with minimal differences. Aside from the fairly highly-praised ZombiU it doesn't really have much to hold the attention.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only game I would rather get on the WiiU than other consoles is the re-release of arkham city, because that comes with all the DLC, all the special features, and even some new stuff. That's the only one, and as mentioned before in the thread, one game isn't enough to sell a console

and I'm tired of people singing the praises of NSMBU. It's the SAME GAME that we've had at least TWICE now. They added another suit, some functions we'll never use on the gamepad, and released it going "HERE'S AN ENTIRELY NEW MARIO GAME BECAUSE IT'S ON THE WIIU". It's not. And I'm sure you Mario fanboys are going to eat it up, but let me tell you that it's not going to sell the console to anyone else. Give us something new with Mario, Nintendo :V

Most of those games are available on other, cheaper systems, with minimal differences. Aside from the fairly highly-praised ZombiU it doesn't really have much to hold the attention.

I can totally understand if people aren't ready to consider buying a Wii U yet, but people saying it has horrible launch lineup confuse me. I'll take improved multiplats like Assassin's Creed, Scribblenauts, and Black Ops over the typical crappy exclusives like Rayman: Raving Rabbids, ExciteTruck, and all the other Wii and Gamecube launch shovelware. Plus it does have ZombiU, NSMB U, and Nintendoland exclusively, which have been met with good reviews. Plus Ninja Gaiden is basically a completely different game from what I hear.

I'm not just looking at the history of Nintendo launches either; Xbox and Playstation had equally sketchy launches last gen. AAA killer apps just take too long to make now to get out at launch, so most exclusive stuff is pretty rushed. The only real killer app in the last two generations was Halo for the original Xbox. Wii U might not have a good enough game library for people who are on the fence about getting it, but I feel it has enough to convince people that know they want it to get it at launch.

and I'm tired of people singing the praises of NSMBU. It's the SAME GAME that we've had at least TWICE now. They added another suit, some functions we'll never use on the gamepad, and released it going "HERE'S AN ENTIRELY NEW MARIO GAME BECAUSE IT'S ON THE WIIU". It's not. And I'm sure you Mario fanboys are going to eat it up, but let me tell you that it's not going to sell the console to anyone else. Give us something new with Mario, Nintendo :V

You could argue the same with several other highly acclaimed series (I'm looking at you, Call of Duty). The core mechanics of SMB still hold up amazingly well and that's why people keep buying them: because they're fun. I'd argue the difference between NSMBU and some other stupid rehashed bullshit (Call of Duty) is that A) this is the first time a Mario game has came out in real hd, and B) The wii-pad thing adds a pretty unique layer of gameplay (ever heard of that, Call of Duty?). Is it worth 50 bucks? I personally wouldn't pay that much, but to argue that it's the exact same game as say, NSMBW is somewhat wrong. The argument would probably work for NSMB2, though.

Your incredible amount of vitriol for the Call of Duty series honestly baffles me. It's not like anybody's even claiming that blops2 is AN ENTIRELY NEW CALL OF DUTY or anything.

I can't speak for Blops 2 (I heard they did real good with changing up single player, while multi is pretty much ssdd), but I felt frankly insulted when Modern Warfare 3 came out. They pretty much took every good thing from Blops 1 that Treyarch did and threw it out the window for the same bullshit from Mw2. Wonderful points system that gives you great freedom in choosing what you want to use? Gone. Dolphin dive? Didn't bother to refine it, just threw it out. Killstreaks not stacking? Nope. The list just goes on (they even took out some small cool things for seemingly no reason, like the custom avatar creation), and I utterly despised how stagnant it was. It didn't help that most of my friends would play ONLY that on Xbox the next several months. At that point I pretty much just swore off everything Call of Duty, because I know there's much better games out there (hello 153 game backlog on Steam). It's less of an issue of needing drastic gameplay innovation (I enjoyed Black ops, even though it didn't dramatically change the formula, probably my second favorite one) and more of taking one step forward and five steps back. At least the Mario games aren't going backwards in design/gameplay choices.

Edited by Davinatorman

I can totally understand if people aren't ready to consider buying a Wii U yet, but people saying it has horrible launch lineup confuse me. I'll take improved multiplats like Assassin's Creed, Scribblenauts, and Black Ops over the typical crappy exclusives like Rayman: Raving Rabbids, ExciteTruck, and all the other Wii and Gamecube launch shovelware.

I'd rather have good exclusives than "improved multiplats," which all of those barely constitute.

Plus it does have ZombiU, NSMB U, and Nintendoland exclusively, which have been met with good reviews. Plus Ninja Gaiden is basically a completely different game from what I hear.

ZombiU is the only one I feel interested in. NSMB U seems neat, but more of the same of NSMB, and moving in a poor direction with the Mario franchise.

I can totally understand if people aren't ready to consider buying a Wii U yet, but people saying it has horrible launch lineup confuse me. I'll take improved multiplats like Assassin's Creed, Scribblenauts, and Black Ops over the typical crappy exclusives like Rayman: Raving Rabbids, ExciteTruck, and all the other Wii and Gamecube launch shovelware. Plus it does have ZombiU, NSMB U, and Nintendoland exclusively, which have been met with good reviews. Plus Ninja Gaiden is basically a completely different game from what I hear.

I'm not just looking at the history of Nintendo launches either; Xbox and Playstation had equally sketchy launches last gen. AAA killer apps just take too long to make now to get out at launch, so most exclusive stuff is pretty rushed. The only real killer app in the last two generations was Halo for the original Xbox. Wii U might not have a good enough game library for people who are on the fence about getting it, but I feel it has enough to convince people that know they want it to get it at launch.

None of those multiplat titles are improved, they're either roughly equal or worse than the 360/PS3 counterparts - especially AC3, which has exclusive content in the PS3 version. They were developed with those consoles as a base and ported to the Wii U.

It was a very lazy launch.

I'm really confused by people's reactions; the Wii U has what I'd consider a great launch line-up. What exactly are these modern systems which have better launches? The only thing Wii U is lacking is the killer exclusive, and NSMB U is pretty close to that. No system since the original Xbox has had an exclusive killer app at launch. I mean, seriously, compare this to Wii launch. Sure Wii had TP, but so did the Gamecube, and that was pretty much the only passable game other than the bundled Wii Sports. How is this worse? Assassin's Creed 3, Black Ops 2, NSMB U, Scribblenauts, Nintendoland, ZombiU, a vastly improved Ninja Gaiden, Epic Mickey 2, and Sonic Racing, plus some sports and great-looking ports.

I'm not saying everyone should rush out and buy it, since there are definitely some concerns about the system's longevity, but it definitely has a huge number of high-quality titles.

This. 100%. Also, yes, many of the third party titles were released for XBox 360 and PS3, but most of them weren't launched that much earlier than the Wii U, making the third party games a good supplemental reason to buy a Wii U. I admit myself they're not a good primary reason to buy them (unless you don't own a PS3 or XBox 360), but that's what the exclusives are for. And I know most people (myself included) want SSB4 on the Wii U's launch, but a demand like that is far from realistic, especially since Sakurai said he's not going to rush release games anymore after his development marathon with Melee had detrimental effects on his health.

I understand not buying it at launch and I'm not holding it against you at all if you aren't getting one (even I myself was considering only getting it once the new Smash Bros gets released, until my co-op job gave me loads of money that was more than enough for both my college tuition and Wii U purchases which amounted to $524 with tax. That and I wanted to have a game console at launch for a change instead of riculously later down the line since I've always experienced the latter), but saying the launch library is weak is a bit too much. Speaking of which...

I'm also curious to know what were the killer launch titles for the XBox 360 and PS3 (I'll admit the Wii launch library was lacking). Because I keep hearing people say the Wii U launch lineup is bad, yet even with the launch game list in front of me I don't even know which of the launch title games for those systems made the launch library good. I'm not saying that to bash on the other systems, I'm really not sure which of the launch games were considered "the killer app."

I'm tired of people singing the praises of NSMBU. It's the SAME GAME that we've had at least TWICE now. They added another suit, some functions we'll never use on the gamepad, and released it going "HERE'S AN ENTIRELY NEW MARIO GAME BECAUSE IT'S ON THE WIIU". It's not. And I'm sure you Mario fanboys are going to eat it up, but let me tell you that it's not going to sell the console to anyone else. Give us something new with Mario, Nintendo :V

Same mechanics? Yes. Same game? Far from it. You might as well call Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World the same game. I'll admit that NSMB2 and NSMBW (ignoring the multiplayer) didn't add much to the 2D Mario games, but NSMBU has added quite a lot more than you think. Also, saying you'll never use the Gamepad is like saying you're never going to play multiplayer on New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The Gamepad player plays a much bigger and involving role than the second player does in Super Mario Galaxy games, so don't go basing it off of that. The platforms make a drastic difference compared to simple enemy stunning in Super Mario Galaxy (not to mention the latter features also exists in NSMBU). There are even some people that are playing with the Wii Remote and using the Wii U Gamepad's boost mode with their index finger, so it's not like the feature is useless if you don't have anyone to play the game with. Also, as I said before, the level designs have changed significantly and have become a lot more dynamic and involving than past NSMB games, especially with the high enemy density, even in the first level. There's also challenge mode, which are just like Event Matches in Smash Bros. (which was one of the most praised additions to Melee), giving varied objectives and making you change your playstyle to defeat challenges. There's also loads of secret levels (I've already missed at least two and I'm still on the second world) giving the game a much fresher and less linear feel than the past NSMB games. There's also the interconnected world map which forms plenty of secret connections and paths between worlds to find (from what I read world 6 has three ways of entering it, and the world before it is the one that has the two separate world paths fusing). The Miiverse interactions also really give a new dimension to the game, being able to share feelings and thoughts of levels in the game itself, rather than going online to see it (not to mention it's troll and flame free). Seeing other people's thoughts of levels on the game map itself is a really neat and fun feature, and it's a lot different than just talking about a game on a forum.

And it's not going to sell the console to non-Mario fanboys? (I wouldn't call them that though since there are way more rabid fanbases out there) Heh, tell that to the families I saw getting it on launch day with New Super Mario Bros. U while paying for my Wii U. Also, this link shows that the Wii U has quite a lot of demand (2nd place for kids 6-12, 4th place for people 13+) in terms of electronics. Also, Nintendo is working on a new 3D Mario game for Wii U, just so you know.

And as I said before, they've only been launching 1 New Super Mario Bros. game per console/handheld. Mario Kart gets released on every console/handheld, yet people never complain about that. In fact, people even expect and anticipate it. I'd personally save the complaining for when Nintendo breaks the "1 NSMB game per console" rule. I'll admit myself that even I feel that there's too many NSMB games this year, but they've restricted themselves to 1 NSMB per console, so it's not going overboard yet. If 2D Mario isn't your cup of tea, fair enough. But I wouldn't go calling New Super Mario Bros. U, the same game over again, since the additions and changes may seem subtle, but they add up to a really different Mario experience.

...sheesh, some of you guys didn't regard my first paragraph in the opening post and are going all doom and gloom on the console. It's a new console launch, so at least try to be nice and optimistic about it. I personally think bashing on any new console, regardless of what company made it, is pretty low. I'm a Nintendo fan primarily, but you don't see me being harsh and pessimistic to the OUYA, even though I'm kind of doubtful it will do well (though I do want it to succeed since it'll be nice having a console primarily for indie developers). I'm at least giving it a chance, approaching it with an open mind, and trying to look past the flaws that it has.

The only game I would rather get on the WiiU than other consoles is the re-release of arkham city, because that comes with all the DLC, all the special features, and even some new stuff. That's the only one, and as mentioned before in the thread, one game isn't enough to sell a console

Seph....stop invading my head and taking thoughts out of it. :P:

Im so sick of NSMBanything, its not even funny. Its even invading other Mario titles. *gives Paper Mario: Sticker Star a one-eyed stinkeye* Im just...flippin' done with that. I wanna play that Batman but not that much. And hell, i havent even played Super Scribblenauts.

Given that i have been loyal to Nintendo for this long, i think im entitled for a little bit of "How about no?" this time around. :Kappa:

By the looks of things, some games can be played on the remote's screen while TV is being watched. Can the other way around also work? I'm also wondering if any subscriptions to things like Dish Network, Optimum, or Verizon FIOS are needed to watch live TV on the thing itself.

With that said, I'm gonna be getting it. But I need funds in my pocket first.

Same mechanics? Yes. Same game? Far from it. You might as well call Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World the same game. I'll admit that NSMB2 and NSMBW (ignoring the multiplayer) didn't add much to the 2D Mario games, but NSMBU has added quite a lot more than you think. Also, saying you'll never use the Gamepad is like saying you're never going to play multiplayer on New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The Gamepad player plays a much bigger and involving role than the second player does in Super Mario Galaxy games, so don't go basing it off of that. The platforms make a drastic difference compared to simple enemy stunning in Super Mario Galaxy (not to mention the latter features also exists in NSMBU). There are even some people that are playing with the Wii Remote and using the Wii U Gamepad's boost mode with their index finger, so it's not like the feature is useless if you don't have anyone to play the game with. Also, as I said before, the level designs have changed significantly and have become a lot more dynamic and involving than past NSMB games, especially with the high enemy density, even in the first level. There's also challenge mode, which are just like Event Matches in Smash Bros. (which was one of the most praised additions to Melee), giving varied objectives and making you change your playstyle to defeat challenges. There's also loads of secret levels (I've already missed at least two and I'm still on the second world) giving the game a much fresher and less linear feel than the past NSMB games. There's also the interconnected world map which forms plenty of secret connections and paths between worlds to find (from what I read world 6 has three ways of entering it, and the world before it is the one that has the two separate world paths fusing). The Miiverse interactions also really give a new dimension to the game, being able to share feelings and thoughts of levels in the game itself, rather than going online to see it (not to mention it's troll and flame free). Seeing other people's thoughts of levels on the game map itself is a really neat and fun feature, and it's a lot different than just talking about a game on a forum.

No, it's actually not at all like saying they're the same game. SMB3 had its own mechanics, its own powerups, levels, worlds; it had its own feel. Super Mario World also had its own feel. The design was entirely different, the powerups were different, Yoshi existed, the world setups were different; they are completely different games. You saying that this game is completely different? It's not. It's the same graphics, same sound effects, same design, same everything, but oh no they've added some new levels in and that makes it entirely different. It's an expansion pack. It's all of the same with a few new levels. Woohoo. Everything else you've mentioned about challenge mode and secrets shouldn't matter since I'm talking about the core aspects of the game. There is no denying that it's a carbon copy of previous titles with different stages and a new suit. You can try to tell me otherwise all you want, but then you're just lying to yourself, and where does that get you?

And it's not going to sell the console to non-Mario fanboys? (I wouldn't call them that though since there are way more rabid fanbases out there) Heh, tell that to the families I saw getting it on launch day with New Super Mario Bros. U while paying for my Wii U. Also, this link shows that the Wii U has quite a lot of demand (2nd place for kids 6-12, 4th place for people 13+) in terms of electronics. Also, Nintendo is working on a new 3D Mario game for Wii U, just so you know.

Woohoo, families are going to buy it for the same reason they bought the Wii, because it looked simple and they don't know games. Is this a bad thing? Not for Nintendo, no, they makes tonnes of money from it. But for people who were looking forward to new games? This launch is extremely lacking. And, just so you know, I don't care what they're working on. Is it here for the launch? No? Then it sort of doesn't factor into the discussion. This is about the launch list, not the "what you'll be getting in a few months/years because we can't work fast enough and want to rehash games instead of work on new IPs."

And as I said before, they've only been launching 1 New Super Mario Bros. game per console/handheld. Mario Kart gets released on every console/handheld, yet people never complain about that. In fact, people even expect and anticipate it. I'd personally save the complaining for when Nintendo breaks the "1 NSMB game per console" rule. I'll admit myself that even I feel that there's too many NSMB games this year, but they've restricted themselves to 1 NSMB per console, so it's not going overboard yet. If 2D Mario isn't your cup of tea, fair enough. But I wouldn't go calling New Super Mario Bros. U, the same game over again, since the additions and changes may seem subtle, but they add up to a really different Mario experience.

People don't complain about Mario Kart on the main consoles every year because every game adds something new to the experience.

Mario Kart SNES to N64: flat, 2D worlds, to a 3D environment.

Mario Kart 64 to Double Dash: the inclusion of partners for driving and new models for karts

Double Dash to Mario Kart Wii: full use of the wii remote as a steering wheel (admittedly there wasn't much for this game, but this game wasn't held very high)

Mario Kart Wii to Mario Kart 7: new underwater and flight parts of tracks, the ability to customize your kart.

If NSMB changed, at all, between the three games, other than adding a new suit and new levels, then you might be right in saying that it's not the same. But it sadly, and unfortunately is. A new suit every game and a few new levels, with maybe an added gimmick that most people won't use because most people don't have 4 other people to play the game with, does not make for a completely new and enjoyable game.

If you enjoy it, feel free to, but don't expect people to be accepting and think that it'll sell the console.

...sheesh, some of you guys didn't regard my first paragraph in the opening post and are going all doom and gloom on the console. It's a new console launch, so at least try to be nice and optimistic about it. I personally think bashing on any new console, regardless of what company made it, is pretty low. I'm a Nintendo fan primarily, but you don't see me being harsh and pessimistic to the OUYA, even though I'm kind of doubtful it will do well (though I do want it to succeed since it'll be nice having a console primarily for indie developers). I'm at least giving it a chance, approaching it with an open mind, and trying to look past the flaws that it has.

Why should we be optimistic? This is NINTENDO. They are a professional company and they have released countless consoles, and a lot of them have had great launch lists and great launches. Why is this one subpar? If they're going to set the precedent like they have with the N64, the Gamecube, and maybe even the Wii, why shouldn't we be upset when it drops on this new, next gen console of theirs? You go ahead and give it a chance, I, like most sane people, will wait until it actually has a library of games to be played, instead of a bunch of ports that I could get elsewhere, and one, overdone rehash.

And with that I think I'm going to stop arguing with you, specifically, because you seem like one of those always optimistic Nintendo fanboys who thinks the company can do no wrong and that if we ignore the obvious flaws we'll enjoy the system.

fruuuuuuuit back me uuuuuup

Edited by seph1212

Totally agreed with seph on NSMB. I mean it's pretty good, I guess, but it seriously is just more of the same. And I don't like the style, really. It's too...plastic-y. It's a bad direction.

Edit: Why did I call seph Sirius

Edited by Esau of Isaac

I'm no Mario fan, but last weekend I was absolutely craving to play NSMB Wii. I really don't like the single player games all that much, but there's something about NSMBW that makes it incredibly fun to pull out for parties. Having 4 players makes it practically impossible to make timely progress through the game, but it's a load of fun when you end up chucking your friends off a ledge or into a spike pit because you can. However, NSMBWU does make the player with the gamepad offer a unique layer of challenge to the game to find secret passages and other goodies. There's also Challenge Mode itself, for the people who want to play a hard game instead of fiddling around with multiplayer. The level design is obviously going to cater to all of the different play methods in the game that didn't exist in previous installments of ANY Mario game. To say it's just a level expansion pack is absurd when Randoman did give his impression of actually playing the game, instead of conjecturing about it. I'm not saying everyone has to love Mario, and I never bought any of the NSMB games either, but objectively speaking, a lot of people are enjoying the game. I'd definitely put it on the list of games I'd like to play, even after skipping NSMB2 on the 3DS without a second thought.

I'm sure the game is fun and I won't doubt the game can be fun with 4 people, but the problem is that myself, and a bunch of other people, are tired of New Super Mario Bros. We want something new from Mario, be it another 3D romp, a different 2D sidescroller; just something different from Nintendo instead of the same type of game for the third time. They can add all they want to it, it's still new super mario bros., and that's what we're tired of :<

Edited by seph1212

I'm sure the game is fun and I won't doubt the game can be fun with 4 people, but the problem is that myself, and a bunch of other people, are tired of New Super Mario Bros. We want something new from Mario, be it another 3D romp, a different 2D sidescroller; just something different from Nintendo instead of the same type of game for the third time. They can add all they want to it, it's still new super mario bros., and that's what we're tired of :<

I completely agree with you that NSMBW and NSMB2 are pretty much more of the same, but saying the Wii U version looks the same (it has much higher resolution graphics) and plays the same (the wii pad drastically changes the core gameplay, albeit needing at least 2 people) isn't accurate. I'd say that it's somewhat like MK:DD, in that it greatly updates the graphics and allows for 2+ player shenanigans, while still retaining the core gameplay.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone's ragging on the launch titles release. I'd rather take several updated, ported games that I may not have bought yet than just mediocre new titles or almost fuckall (Ps3, Xbox, DS, 3DS).

I might get a Wii U when the price drops and I have more space.

There are some games on their I do want to pick up. If there's an FE released on it, I'll definitely get that, there's also Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Resident Evil: The Mercenaries Bio Ops.

I had always thought that this console was going to be great, and I'm glad to hear that it's fun.

To be honest, I really only want it so that I can play Pikmin 3 when it comes out. :P

Alright, so you're tired of New Super Mario Bros. games regardless of how much they change and add and want a 3D Mario or a new style of 2D Mario games. Fair enough. Though as Samias said, it's not really fair to judge it as the same game until you've tried it out yourself. And although you and a good amount of people are tired of New Super Mario Bros., that doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of people that buy and enjoy the games, making NSMBU a strong launch title in that sense (I said that it made quite a few new additions, but I never said it was ground-breaking material). It's kind of like saying Call of Duty is a bad game series, since although there are plenty of haters, there are a lot more fans and buyers of the games. I will admit myself that New Super Mario Bros. U doesn't innovate as much as the WIi U system itself does, but Nintendo Land, ZombiU, and some of the multiplatform launch titles do that plenty. Especially Nintendo Land, which serves as a good way to demonstrate the WIi U Gamepad's functions while still being a fun game in itself, especially with multiple players.

And your point about Mario Kart is acceptable enough (though you forgot to mention what Super Circuit and DS added, though I probably shouldn't be too nitpicky. DS added online, but I don't know what Super Circuit added), and the additions and changes are much more noticeable than the ones in the New Super Mario Bros. games (especially since the NSMB games always stick to the same art style). Just wondering, which of the NSMB games have you played? I want to know which ones you've experienced first-hand.

What games in the Gamecube and Wii lineup constituted as strong launch games? I know N64 had Super Mario 64, and that set the standards to 3D platforming (though only it and Pilotwings 64 were available at launch in the US. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't hold it against the N64 launch library if they had launch games that were ports of Playstation games to pad the launch library, seeing how it only had those two games). You keep saying the Wii U launch lineup is bad and I don't even know what launch games from previous systems you're comparing it to that are considered "strong launch games." At least enlighten me on that.

Yes, I'm a fan of Nintendo and I know I'm being a bit too optimistic to some. Though it's not just Nintendo, seeing how I'm probably the one most psyched for both Playstation All Stars Battle Royale and the Ouya. Anyways, games are meant to be fun and enjoyable, so of course I'm going to be optimistic about them. By getting all pessimistic and down on a game console, you're pretty much ruining the purpose of games for yourself. So you don't like the Wii U launch library. Fine by me. I'd have no problems if you said that and I wouldn't have started arguing with you in the first place, since it's your opinion. But going to a thread celebrating the launch of the Wii U and raining on the parade saying "there's no good games" as if it's a fact is going a bit too far.

don't act like I'm the only one who's doing this. there are a bunch of other people here who agree that this launch if pretty abysmal.

also, on the gamecube launch, Luigi's Mansion, SSX Tricky, Super Monkey Ball, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron II were all amazing games all released at launch.

As for Wii, it had less, but it had budokai tenkaichi 2, Wii Sports, and trauma center.

so while they're not the most impressive launches, they're still a bunch of new IPs instead of ports.

and I'm not saying that there never will be good games, because I'm looking forward to the new Smash brother games, Monster Hunter Ultimate, and whatever FE games they plan for this. I just wish those games were being released now.

I know. But you and Tangerine are the only ones that are straight out saying there's no good launch games for the Wii U. Yours and Tangerine's points that are brought up are mostly the same, so I'm addressing both of your points at once.

You wanted new IPs for the Wii U? Fair enough. Even though there's Nintendo Land, I suppose it doesn't interest you that much huh? I wouldn't go buying a Wii U just for it, but it's a suprisingly fun game.

don't act like I'm the only one who's doing this. there are a bunch of other people here who agree that this launch if pretty abysmal.

also, on the gamecube launch, Luigi's Mansion, SSX Tricky, Super Monkey Ball, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron II were all amazing games all released at launch.

As for Wii, it had less, but it had budokai tenkaichi 2, Wii Sports, and trauma center.

so while they're not the most impressive launches, they're still a bunch of new IPs instead of ports.

and I'm not saying that there never will be good games, because I'm looking forward to the new Smash brother games, Monster Hunter Ultimate, and whatever FE games they plan for this. I just wish those games were being released now.

The bolded are ports.

I know it's irrelevant to launches, but man, Trauma Team was the shit. That and the other Trauma games basically justified the wii (and DS, but that had other stuff too) and all the wagglin to me forever.

If only most waggle was half that fun.

Fair enough, but it's still not a new IP.

Also, I'd disagree that Gamecube's launch setup was that great relative to Wii U's. The three you mentioned and Wave Race are the only non port/garbage sports games for release. And only Luigi's mansion is really a true new IP, as Rogue Squadron/Wave Race is a sequel, and SMB was in arcades beforehand.

Wii U has ZombiU and Nintendoland as new IP's, and NSMBU and Ninja Gaiden 3 (because let's face it, the Xbox/PS3 version may as well not exist) for new games as well. Three (I'd argue 4) new titles, only one less than Gamecube's "amazing" launch setup.