Shattered Honour Chapter Five

Parrhesia

The third-ranker glares at you.

You glare back.

The third-ranker glares even harder.

You glare fiercer.

He gnashes his teeth at you.

You start foaming at the mouth.

He gives up, walks into a nearby door, and is back briefly. "He'll see you," says the resentful soldier.

-----------

You walk in to see a sorry sight; Lord Brendan Randel, surrounded by doctors and flanked by Hewen and a lanky knight you don't recognise. He's shivering under bloodstained light blue sheets with thick linen bandages around his chest, stripped to the waist. The doctors are in fierce debate.

"I tell you, leeches are the answ-"

"By the gods, man, what is it with you and leeches?" snaps a broad-shouldered Baharese in silk finery. "We shall continue to apply poultices, to aid his steady recovery, rather than removing all of his blood."

"But I tell yo-"

"Shut up, you idiot!" shouts Randel, weakly, before launching into a fit of coughing. "Get out. Leave my personal doctor here to save my life." The Tascaran leech expert walks out, muttering under his breath. "don't fuck with leeches man i'll shove this one right up yer bunghole"

Randel turns to you. "Good day. Please, dear gods, tell me Locklan's man didn't make a catastrophic cock-up of everything."

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ah, about that sir. Well... he killed the wrong person, was caught and branded, and then allowed us to be surrounded by Strachian and his personal guard. We had no choice but to take the retreat offered to us or be slaughtered. Colt... well he took the coward's way out on our way back. All I have for you are these letters." Irene hands the letters over while Jack shifts awkwardly behind her.

Randel's eyes darken and his meaty hands curl into fists. "Another resounding success for that fucking idiot Locklan, I see. Well, I'm glad you lot made it out alive."

As the letters are read out, Randel has a visibly difficult time trying to stay awake. He waves you off as you launch into Anya's potential marriage candidate. "Alright, alright, whatever. So the Dracians don't all want to move past Carona. Whatever, we can try and leverage that in a treaty maybe. I'll hand it over to some dove of a diplomat. Maybe Karen the Younger. Anything else I need to know about?"

"Uh, yes, actually, sir..." Jordan's mind had clicked as to what had happened at the bar, before they were assaulted by Strachan. "A few people at the pub in town were killed by some... Gutting, guild? I apologize, my mind's still a bit rattled from what happened, but I think that was the name of them." He awkwardly leaned back against the wall, wondering if that information mattered at all.

Randel clicks his fingers and his personal doctor rolls a cigar from one of his many pockets. "Gutter Guild, eh? Bastards! I'll tell the guard to crack down on them. But they don't matter now." He takes the cigar gratefully from his doctor and pulls himself up on his bed, gesturing at you to sit down on three small, wooden chairs.

"But I have another mission for you... and don't leave men behind this time! I don't know how long you could be gone. I need you and your men to go west, to the border city of Rhagant. I have a diplomat stationed there who believes himself to be under threat from Dracian spies and assassins. Could be he's paranoid, but my gut tells me there's something to it. So I need someone who isn't overly important to go there and see what he's raving about now. So, you. Get going."

"Oh, and here." He tosses a small coinpurse at you, with maybe thirty worth of crowns in it. "Travelling expenses."

Edited by Furetchen

Matthias was a bit angry. He missed out on something big here. Instead he got to shoot one guy and then a large feeling of disappointment.

This problem could only be solved with mead.

"Yes sir." Irene caught the coin purse and handed it off to Jack. Walking out, she threw an arm around Jordan. "There, that wasn't so bad, now was it?" Jack followed, stuffing the coin purse in his pocket.

"Er, yeah. Randel seems like an alright man. I mean, I've met him once before, but never spoken to him directly." He felt slightly awkward with her arm around him, so he had to ask, "you've been acting awfully nice to me; just trying to keep up morale, or something?"

"Oh, I'm just happy we all made it out of there alive. Well... most of us. And now we have some money and we can go grab the rest of the group and head out again. No rest for the weary. But seriously. You shouldn't be so down on yourself. You're a good soldier."

"Uhh..."

From behind you, you hear the sound of movement. It's Merry Randel, awkwardly chasing after you. She has a cut above her eye that's barely healed. "G- good morning, sirs! Is my father alright?"

Jack bowed deeply. "Ah, my lady it is truly a pleasure to see you again. As for your father, well... he is strong still. From what I've heard he is improving. He is well enough to kick out a man who wished to leech him. But I see that you have been injured. Who has dared to do this?"

"What cut? Oh, this one. Right. Um. Some Othidian ruffian on the field, a Lord Braithwelle or something, I caught him in the throat with my sabre oh god all the blood I shouldn't think mother will be too happy with me for failing to collect a ransom!" Merry laughs before inevitably clamming up within about a second.

"Yeah, everyone. And alright, I get it. I'll try to cheer up, slightly, in the face of almost certain death." Some woman he didn't know ran at their little group, and he was about to ask her about her cut, but Jack stepped in and began... being himself, once again. "Irene, I think we should leave Jack be, since we're done here. Wouldn't want to get in his way!" Jordan laughed a bit, finally getting back to his normal, jovial self. "I'll be at the inn whenever you wish to leave, oh flirtatious sergeant!" And he was off.

"My lady, I had no idea you were so skilled in combat. Perhaps you would like to join us in our next mission that your father has set for us. We are headed to Rhagant to help out one of his men. Are you interested? Oh, and that was Jordan. He is one of the men in our group."

Edited by scorri

"I'll be at the inn whenever you wish to leave, oh flirtatious sergeant!" And he was off.

"Flirtatious? O- oh my..."

"A- and Rhagant?" Her young face sets in a more stern disposition. "Well... I suppose it's the only way I can help my father. I'm not doing much good standing around here, eh? Let's be off."

The others were taking a long time. Jordan hurried past, but nobody seemed to follow him, he probably had something to attend to. He leant on a wall, and continued waiting.

"But you'd best show me to your companions, first. ... Don't worry, I don't want to take command or anything, I daresay you're more qualified for that lark. Ugh, but first, I simply must get organised... Ramsey!"

The greasiest man you have ever seen emerges from the shadows. His sandy blond hair is slicked back with tallow, and his mouth is locked into a bizarre, gap-toothed rictus that seems to have completely mastered the art of smugness.

imnotouttheretobeloved.jpg

"Yes, ser?"

"Bring me my shield and armour, and get the mount ready. And then sort yourself out; you're coming with us, to Rhagant."

Ramsey's smile drops. "Rhagant. You're gonna... I'm gonna stick my neck out takin' you to a cesspool like that?! Milady, if you die, the chief'll 'ave my 'ead!"

"So I won't die," says Merry blandly.

"But milaaadyyyy..."

"Get on with it, Ramsey."

Ramsey sighs and sulks off somewhere. Merry turns back to Jack. "Right! Let's be off to see the troops then, eh?"

"Oh, wonderfully!" he wore a smile as he spoke, "Randel isn't executing us, and that's only the first bit of good news. We've been sent on another lovely mission, one more up front and less 'in the middle of enemy territory', this time. We're to help some diplomat in the city of Rhagant who believes himself under assault from Dracian spies. Sounds exciting, doesn't it?" He sat down and waved to Daniel for another round. "But that's not all! Assuming I know Jack he'll probably have already gotten some other strapping young lass to come along with us. She was rather pretty, if I do say so myself. So!" He leaned an elbow on the counter, grinning like an idiot, "how does all of that sound, Jacob?"