Shattered Honour Chapter Five

Parrhesia

Suddenly, mercifully, Ramsey and Merry dash out of nowhere to calm the beast down. Ramsey grins at you. "'Avin' fun?"

"Impertinent servant," says Merry, absently. "It's perfectly understandable that they'd never seen a horse before." She turns to your group. "Your wolves are all saddled and ready for you. Do you know how to ride? No? Well, no matter. You'll learn one way or another on the road."

Merry smiles at Ratter. "And it's a cours-er, I think you'll find."

Edited by Furetchen

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irene looked at the creature and then looked at Jacob. "Something funny?" With that, she walked over to where her wolf was and loaded up her supplies. Jack, on the other hand, walked over to Merry and stared at the beast. "What... what is it?"

"Well, it's a horse. They found them over the seas in Ciris. Sometimes nobles ship them back here. Damned expensive." Merry gives a nervous grin. "Brendan bought me this one. Oh, don't worry, I don't ride Silverbell in war, of course. That would just be ridiculous. But I ride her when I can."

"Oh, they can be temperamental... but Silverbell's not too bad, when you get to know her."

Edited by Furetchen

"Looks damn scary," Jordan chimed in on Jack's conversation, hopping unsteadily onto one of the wolves. "Well-- whoa, easy now -- we're leaving, right?" He tried to get steady on the thing. He'd never rode one before.

Felix fucking loves riding wolves. This is among his most favorite things to do ever. This fully calms him down, as now he feels superior to the courser.

Edited by Mr. Sparkles

"A horse, huh? Well, I guess you see some crazy things when you're traveling as much as I have been lately. And if the fair lady who dares to ride this beast is ready, I dare say we should be off." With that, Jack bowed to Merry and went to get on his wolf.

"You can ride those things? Seems pretty risky to me."

Tordel wasn't that used to riding wolves, but he'd manage. It'd be better than that haws thing by a long shot.

"Risky? Everything we do is risky."

With that, Jacob climbs atop one of the wolves.

"I've been hoping to ride one of these things even since we ran into Lord Randel's army. Maybe we can look half as impressive as they did."

Eventually, and with many aside glances from guards, you ride out from the city. Merry looks comfortable in the saddle, almost as though she was born there. You... not so much.

Still, you make good progress to Rhagant, and are there in just three days with a new, largely enforced knowledge of the skill of riding. As Ramsey deals with stabling your mounts, Merry takes you into the nearest tavern.

The nearest tavern turns out to be the Iron Maiden, a large wooden structure with a good twenty rooms upstairs. The proprietor is a mercenary forced into retirement, one of her hands cut off halfway up the wrist. Still, she seems happy enough to serve you.

Merry murmurs something like "Oh my," then goes off to chat with the landlord. The rest of you are left to your own devices.

One of the men had asked Tordel to buy him a drink. There were better things to spend money on, like shovels. He ignored the man, whose drinking habits had forced him to actually buy one.