North American release: Feb 4, 2013, EU release: April, 2013

Elieson

weird that they changed Velvet's name to Panne...though apparently panne is a type of velvet:

http://www.merriam-w...ictionary/panne

Between Velvet, Inverse, and Soiree, I think they're trying to get rid of names that are fairly common words in English.

Which makes sense, and, honestly, is probably the best way they could handle them.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between Velvet, Inverse, and Soiree, I think they're trying to get rid of names that are fairly common words in English.

Which makes sense, and, honestly, is probably the best way they could handle them.

...This actually makes sense. I mean, consider the common idea that foreign words are cool, which happens especially in Japan and NA. I mean, Velvet probably sounds like some intricate foreign term for that kind of thing in Japanese, but it's fairly standard in English. Panne being French, if I recall correctly, sounds more pleasing to the ear than simple Velvet. And lets be honest, something that is blatantly obviously a name for a common item doesn't seem as good as a person's name as a foreign word would. At least to some people.

...This actually makes sense. I mean, consider the common idea that foreign words are cool, which happens especially in Japan and NA. I mean, Velvet probably sounds like some intricate foreign term for that kind of thing in Japanese, but it's fairly standard in English. Panne being French, if I recall correctly, sounds more pleasing to the ear than simple Velvet. And lets be honest, something that is blatantly obviously a name for a common item doesn't seem as good as a person's name as a foreign word would. At least to some people.

It's not even about foreign words, if you ask me. As I said before, in this thread even as I recall, the German versions of the games did this with some names; Mist, Haar and Duessel, to be exact.

Haar, meaning hair, Mist, meaning manure, often used in the sense of "Damn!" or "Shoot!" ("Mist!"), and Duessel, as Düssel, which is close to the name of the City of Düsseldorf. I am so happy that I don't have to read all that as names in the games. This is why I hope that they change Stahl's name as well, as I would not really like a character named Steel in my game, to be quite honest with you. I mean, some names are normal words (e.g. Rose) and it works, but for some, it just does not.

...which means that I appreciate the English localisation so far. I really do.

Edited by domflo

im happy for the release dates but why doesnt nintendo do like they are with pokemon x and y and release them in Britain and America at the same time

For one, Pokémon X/Y is very much the exception, not the rule; Iwata emphasised that it's something of an unusual special effort that's contributing to the near-simultaneous launch of all versions of X/Y. Also, bear in mind that the European release requires at least four more translations of the game to be completed, which considering that FE13 is as text-heavy as they come certainly contributes to delaying the release. It's also worth noting that Fire Emblem is not exactly a major priority franchise for Nintendo outside of Japan, so it's not like they're in a rush to get it out ASAP like they would be with, say, a Mario or Zelda title (not to mention the former is very rarely particularly text-heavy and laborious to translate).

https://twitter.com/...0083073/photo/1

"Was excited that Sully was bragging about me. Turns out she was talking about her horse. #FireEmblem pic.twitter.com/pJWepLgl"

XD

EDIT: And another Sully pic, she's turning out quite popular among the few people with review copies

https://twitter.com/kirkhamilton/status/293207902653669376/photo/1

Edited by Wheels

From a poster at GameFAQs:

In response to this - Fire Emblem is no longer available at Gamestop.com (cartridge only)

It is NOT an online-only issue. I went to a local Gamestop today to pre-order the game and couldn't do it. The guy told me that pre-orders for it have been shut off. Needless to say, I was stunned and disappointed. I want that artbook!

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/65242728

It's starting to happen to the stores now. Sucks for that guy though...

Edited by Taichi01

I had a friend that was going to preorder today too after I showed him that topic yesterday :S Still...all I can say is, either this game is gonna take off big time, or NoA really underestimated the demand. First Amazon's shipping delays (Probably thanks to needing to order more into their warehouse to cover preorders) and now this.

Nintendo has a bad tendency to underestimate demand and print too few copies of their games. The initial Skyward Sword run included way too few Wiimote bundles, though to be fair they called it special edition. Likewise, Nintendo didn't ship many copies of Xenoblade so post launch supply after preorders were filled was extremely slim. Games like Zelda, Metroid (before Other M at least), and sometimes even Mario have supply issues in the first month. Fire Emblem's current demand is the most extreme scenario I have seen, though, where Nintendo cannot actually supply enough games for the pre orders.

...Huh. I paid a visit to my local Gamestop and they told me "We no longer have a release date for Fire Emblem. It used to be Feb. 5, but now we don't have a release date. We still have the preorders, so we'll contact you whenever we get them."

Looks like they've got a major shortage, at least in the NYC area.

...Huh. I paid a visit to my local Gamestop and they told me "We no longer have a release date for Fire Emblem. It used to be Feb. 5, but now we don't have a release date. We still have the preorders, so we'll contact you whenever we get them."

Looks like they've got a major shortage, at least in the NYC area.

Hmm, their website still says Feb. 4. I guess yours is mistaken, maybe because of issues with short stock?

That's because the release date is the shipping date for non-Street Dated titles.

Except a lot of GameStops are also saying they're going to be getting Fire Emblem in early, but still won't sell until the 5th.

So where do I find a games street date over it's ship date?

Oh, and it looks like Gamestop has stop taking preorders at all. People are saying they went to the store to order the game but couldn't :E

Well usually at Gamestop, they'll be these papers and games that are street dated will have SD next to it. I didn't realize Ni No Kuni was street dated at all.

Except a lot of GameStops are also saying they're going to be getting Fire Emblem in early, but still won't sell until the 5th.

Wow that's really dumb. Guess Nintendo doesn't want them to sell it on the day the eShop release will be out...blink.gif

I know the issue wasn't with the bundle, but I'm thrilled I ordered mine last night!

Although I want to get a physical copy if my bundle doesn't come day one... That might be an issue...

Well there's always Best Buy or Wal-Mart. Maybe even Toys R' US.

Edited by Taichi01