North American release: Feb 4, 2013, EU release: April, 2013

Elieson

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they seriously have to use memes? I mean, they can't expect the PAL translators to know them, so they will probably translate it literally.

The script will be rather awkward as a result. In fact, I would say that the line will probably be awkward for everyone who doesn't know the meme.

Not that I'm that big of an expert on the language but I would guess that even the "an Arrow to the knee" line in the FE12 patch probably worked better then this to people unfamiliar with the meme.

Edited by BrightBow

Do they seriously have to use memes? I mean, they can't expect the PAL translators to know them, so they will probably translate it literally.

The script will be rather awkward as a result. In fact, I would say that the line will probably be awkward for everyone who doesn't know the meme.

Not that I'm that big of an expert on the language but I would guess that even the "an Arrow to the knee" line in the FE12 patch probably worked better then this to people unfamiliar with the meme.

What the hell are you talking about? If anyone isn't familiar with it, they'd just think of it as a perfectly normal "overly dramatic Fred" line. If the joke can't be conveyed in other languages, it won't be, and who cares?

"Arrow to the knee" was awful because it's incredibly unfunny. It also stood out being not Nintendo-relevant and just sounding fucking weird in the script.

What the hell are you talking about? If anyone isn't familiar with it, they'd just think of it as a perfectly normal "overly dramatic Fred" line. If the joke can't be conveyed in other languages, it won't be, and who cares?

"Arrow to the knee" was awful because it's incredibly unfunny. It also stood out being not Nintendo-relevant and just sounding fucking weird in the script.

Fred is supposed to be overly dramatic? I thought he was supposed to be super serious and not one to be goofing around like that.

And I would say, that it's not much of a stretch for an upbeat guy like Rickhart to use unusual expressions. Especially when he tries to act stupid in order to hide his shadiness. It's not perfect, but it does partly blend in with his personality, while this on seems to completely contradict Fred's personality and therefore kills immersion.

Also, for the people who care: Well, I do obviously. I have seen way to many awkward lines that turned out to make a lot more sense before they got translated. Of course, referencing memes is a bad idea anyway. They start up bad and end up worse during translation.

Eh, I don't get the meme backlash.

If a meme can fit into the dialogue without seeming awkward, I don't see why it's a problem. It's like using a metaphor, except in this case it's a modern internet metaphor.

"My body is ready" suggests that Frederick is ready for what's coming up. I don't have to know it's a Reggie meme to understand it. And if I hate the line solely because it's a meme, well that just seems weird to me IMO.

Same thing for the "arrow to the knee" joke in FE12. It's just a metaphor for getting injured. Oh and BTW, there's a couple of "My body is ready" jokes in FE12 too.

You don't see anybody complaining about "pegasus dung" or "munchin' Manaketes", but those lines seem just as radical to me.

Now if the meme was totally out of context, then I could understand. Like Thracia's "In America".

Also in Australian news, the EB Games site says that Awakening has an M rating for "Mature themes and violence".

https://ebgames.com....ng-Nintendo-3DS

Awakening and Monster Hunter are both M? Wow. That's just... wow.

What's Luigi's Mansion, then? T? And Pokemon E10+ for violence? Intentionally KOing animals? Capturing them against their will?

Haha... jk. jk.

Awakening and Monster Hunter are both M? Wow. That's just... wow.

What's Luigi's Mansion, then? T? And Pokemon E10+ for violence? Intentionally KOing animals? Capturing them against their will?

Haha... jk. jk.

In Australia, an M rating is roughly equivalent to the American T rating. Our equivalent to the American M is R18+, which was actually only implemented for games this month.

(while I doubt you were fishing for a serious response here, all main Pokémon games were PG here until HGSS, solely because of the gambling at the Game Corner; they've been a flat G since everything from HGSS onward stopped having Game Corners)

Fred is supposed to be overly dramatic? I thought he was supposed to be super serious and not one to be goofing around like that.

And I would say, that it's not much of a stretch for an upbeat guy like Rickhart to use unusual expressions. Especially when he tries to act stupid in order to hide his shadiness. It's not perfect, but it does partly blend in with his personality, while this on seems to completely contradict Fred's personality and therefore kills immersion.

Also, for the people who care: Well, I do obviously. I have seen way to many awkward lines that turned out to make a lot more sense before they got translated. Of course, referencing memes is a bad idea anyway. They start up bad and end up worse during translation.

Just to clear something up: Fred is totally serious until it comes to eating what most people would consider 'non-regular meat'. Like in all the pre-chapter one dialogue from the demo, when Chrom and the Avatar are eating bear meat, he refuses to eat it? He later tries it himself and ends up screaming and running away (or something to that affect)

So yeah, he's overly dramatic when it comes to things that like, that's why the dialogue doesn't actually seem that out of character.

I don't know if this has been mentioned here but the official site is up and running.

officialsitefireemblema.png

Source: http://fireemblem.ni....com/index.html

It looks really nice in comparison to the Japanese one.

Tiamo's name is Cordelia. Not bad at all NoA. I approve of that name.

Edited by Taichi01

just to follow up on what taichi posted about:

on the main site if you go to the characters section you can change the url to the pasted link below and get a hidden profile to show up - spoilers tho so proceed at your own peril!:

http://fireemblem.ni...rs/chara30.html

Apologies if this has been posted already.

Edited by merric

Eh, I don't get the meme backlash.

If a meme can fit into the dialogue without seeming awkward, I don't see why it's a problem. It's like using a metaphor, except in this case it's a modern internet metaphor.

"My body is ready" suggests that Frederick is ready for what's coming up. I don't have to know it's a Reggie meme to understand it. And if I hate the line solely because it's a meme, well that just seems weird to me IMO.

Same thing for the "arrow to the knee" joke in FE12. It's just a metaphor for getting injured. Oh and BTW, there's a couple of "My body is ready" jokes in FE12 too.

You don't see anybody complaining about "pegasus dung" or "munchin' Manaketes", but those lines seem just as radical to me.

Now if the meme was totally out of context, then I could understand. Like Thracia's "In America".

But it's not "just a metaphor", it's one that has been overused ad nauseum. They've been overplayed and beaten to death, and so there are people who read it and just groan because they're sick of it. It's indicative that some writer thinks they're clever when really they're just unoriginal, because they're trying to get cheap laughs but lack the creativity to come up with something good.

Edit: For what it's worth, I don't think that "My body is ready" is anywhere near the level of "arrow to the knee."

Edited by Paperblade

1359070021[/url]' post='2260404']

But it's not "just a metaphor", it's one that has been overused ad nauseum. They've been overplayed and beaten to death, and so there are people who read it and just groan because they're sick of it. It's indicative that some writer thinks they're clever when really they're just unoriginal, because they're trying to get cheap laughs but lack the creativity to come up with something good.

Edit: For what it's worth, I don't think that "My body is ready" is anywhere near the level of "arrow to the knee."

Uhh the arrow to the knee joke became so big because ever kept using it out of context.

Cordelia! That's adorable.

That was really the last big name I was waiting for them to release :o I'm pleased.

edit: wait i lied i forgot some others

Edited by Spectakitty

Uhh the arrow to the knee joke became so big because ever kept using it out of context.

It's indicative that some writer thinks they're clever when really they're just unoriginal, because they're trying to get cheap laughs but lack the creativity to come up with something good.