Is it just me, or are Mages... underwhelming in this game?

Well you'll need one mage to kill Gharnef to get Falchion to make killing Medeus not suck.

Resistance is also low in this game. So while the mages tend to not have a massive magic stat in the 20s, they'll still do quite a bit of damage due to how poor enemy resistance is outside of opposing mages/priests/bishops.

Mages also have better magic growths in the mage class as opposed to the priest class, so they'll fare even worse there.

Enemy Res was also low in other games, but even then some Mages could at least double, if not ORKO other enemy units. They appear to be mediocre all around this time. The only unit Merric could double was Knights, and Linde can't double at all. Neither one of them can kill, and it's getting to the point where my physical melee units are outdamaging them, even on high Def units like Dracoknights and armored Knights.

They have some unique uses they can fulfill. At least female mages get Nosferatu to have a better Enemy Phase. Excalibur is really useful in eliminating Flying Dragons in the desert. The early Aura is handy for chipping in the earlygame.

The low number in Magic isn't that discouraging as it's easily fixed with the more powerful tomes.

They have some unique uses they can fulfill. At least female mages get Nosferatu to have a better Enemy Phase. Excalibur is really useful in eliminating Flying Dragons in the desert. The early Aura is handy for chipping in the earlygame.

The low number in Magic isn't that discouraging as it's easily fixed with the more powerful tomes.

Nosferatu would be useful if my female Mage could survive an attack. Linde gets ORKO'd by everything, so there's no chance to use Nosferatu.

Nosferatu would be useful if my female Mage could survive an attack. Linde gets ORKO'd by everything, so there's no chance to use Nosferatu.

You're generally supposed to use Nosferatu to survive the attack. Unless you're getting OHKO'd. That's a much bigger problem.

I actually don't see a problem with mages in this game. Its not like FE10 where they all completely suck.

Merric needs a little bit of help to get going, but that 65% does help him double after a while and training him isn't that hard since he's on of the few characters to move normally in the dessert and he can one shot wyverns with excaliber.

The low magic growths are a shame, but enemies usually don't have much resistance so they manage to hit hard anyway.ges

My only real problem is that all mages that aren't Etzel or Wendell have a bit of a rough start.

The funny thing is if you make Cecille a mage, she apparently does surprisingly well

Here are her growths as a mage across the board

50 20 50 65 80 50 0 20

This is going in the order from HP, Str, Mag, Skl, Spd, Lck, Def, Res

So if you used her as a class that got some def [best bet is her starting class of Cavalier anyways] and maybe gave her some dracoshields then have her be a mage she may be what your looking for. Just an experiment to try. I haven't personally tried it myself yet

Edited by Jediwaki Kuno

Magicians... underwhelming? Seriously, I find them extremely important, both in my Lunatic run and my Lunatic Reverse run...

Malliesia = Best Healer... and Nosferatu user.

Merric = My answer to killing Hardin and Gharnef... Malliesia's crappy skill means I don't get many crits from her... Plus, she can't use Excalibur...

But... I'm really... how should I say this... stingy when it comes to when I should use the "ultimate" weapons.

(Mercurius, Master Sword, Gradivus, Hauteclere, Parthia, Starlight, Aura, Thoron, Nosferatu, Again...)

The only exceptions to that is Excalibur, which is absolutely necessary (although I could make-do with sniper MU with a "normal" bow...), Fortify, and Rescue.

Yeah, I don't use the rest. Never. Unless, of course, I absolutely have to, which never really happens 'cause I'm such a good FE player... XD

Well, maybe it's just me... Magicians are my favorite class, especially the sorcerer class...

Anyway, yeah... (Tiki is one of my favorite units! I love how she can one-shot enemy dragons IN LUNATIC! Yeah, I know. You get her after all the chapters with dragons... and more dragons don't come up 'til chapter 21... Just sayin'. XD)

Edited by fireemblemfan4ever