Localized Names

Elinor Cross

I'm going to drop this after one more pick since I hate to go misunderstood.

Because picking apart someone's opinion is tactful.

Jeez man.

I never said anything related to tact. If I'm reading what you're misreading, I said tacitly which means something utterly different.

EDIT: Unless tactful just came from nowhere, in which case ignore me.

Edited by Integrity

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's sourced from FE Wikia, then it's only using information we know. Henri is likely just his Japanese name.

In any case, that's a pretty nifty diagram. I'm not fond of the use of green, but it kinda works. Although it seems they got Avatar's description mixed up ^^

Edited by VincentASM

Validar = spanish word for "validate"

Fauder is an actual name.

It was also a fairly clever play-on-words in relation to the plot

The naming intent seems lost.

Soiree = french word for "evening"

Sol = french word for "ground"

The red and green knights had a pair of words that symbolized their colors. The naming intent seems lost with Sully and Stahl.

Jelanda... jela...jelan.........Angela, yeah that's itEDIT: I wonder who'll get this reference first?

Valkyrie Profile

As far as the translations go, I like them so far. I really hope Olivia stays the same.

They're OK. I particularly like Virion and Cherche; Lon'qu and Sully are growing on me too. The only ones I dislike are the place names. Ferox reminds me of Xerox and FedEx, while Plegia just doesn't sound as nice as Perezia. It also kinda screams "evil nation" to me, though I guess that was what NoA was shooting for. Ylisse sounds fine, but the spelling's a little awkward.

Oh right, also not that big of a fan of Panne. I keep on thinking of bread.

Edited by Keilis

Soiree = french word for "evening"

Sol = french word for "ground"

The red and green knights had a pair of words that symbolized their colors. The naming intent seems lost with Sully and Stahl.

How is red = evening? Also, by that logic, Sol should be Sort, which is French for "fate".

I can see red being like, sunset, (Which isn't really evening, as that happens after the sun sets (I was taught soiree=the actual time duration between the sunset and whenever you went to bed in my french class, while soir was the name of time of day) but I have no clue how green is supposed to represent day...

Also, remember Sol is the fan name, not the NoJ name. The NoJ name is Sort, which removes the reference as well, which kinda points to that it wasn't an intentional reference

I can see red being like, sunset, (Which isn't really evening, as that happens after the sun sets (I was taught soiree=the actual time duration between the sunset and whenever you went to bed in my french class, while soir was the name of time of day) but I have no clue how green is supposed to represent day...

Also, remember Sol is the fan name, not the NoJ name. The NoJ name is Sort, which removes the reference as well, which kinda points to that it wasn't an intentional reference

The green represents the french word for ground.(green earth)

The red represents the french word for evening. (red sky)

The katakana for Sol is "ソール" - "so-o ru" (the "u" in "ru" is typically silent).

It could be Soul, Sol, Sort, or any other word with the same pronunciation (yes, the "t" in Sort is silent).

I like to think its "Sol" to match his color.

I also like to think the NoJ names were done by one of their foreign interns. Seriously, how else could you go from "ドニ"(do ni) to "Denis" huh.gif

Edited by Ponder

The ones that annoy me are:

Chrom (Google Chrome anyone?)

Lissa (What's wrong with Liz? It's the shortened version of Elizabeth)

Sully (So. Much. Monsters Inc.)

Stahl (It reminds me of Stalin, so I'm sticking with Sol)

Lon'qu (<- What the balls is that?! Nope. Calling him Ronku)

Panne (Quieres un poco de mantequilla con eso?)

Cherche (Serge was a powerful name, something to be expected from a Wyvern Rider)

Say'ri (What is with the goddamned apostrophe?)

Emmeryn (Wouldn't Emelina flow better?)

Plegia (I think of plagues)

Valm (Dunno, something about it makes me cringe)

Krom's Shepherds (This just shows how the US is trying to soften the language. They're bloody Vigilantes, deal with it!)

Aside from those above, I've got no problems with any of the others.

Chrom (Google Chrome anyone?) His name was always Chrom

Lissa (What's wrong with Liz? It's the shortened version of Elizabeth) Her Imperial Majesty, the first crowned Princess of the Holy Kingdom of Ylisse, Her Royal Highness, Princess Liz

Stahl (It reminds me of Stalin, so I'm sticking with Sol) His name was never Sol

Panne (Quieres un poco de mantequilla con eso?) Panne = crushed velvet

Cherche (Serge was a powerful name for a dude)

Emmeryn (Wouldn't Emelrina flow better?)

Valm (Dunno, something about it makes me cringe) It's named after Alm, and it's leagues better than Warm

Krom's Shepherds (This just shows how the US is trying to soften the language. They're bloody Vigilantes, deal with it!)

Okay, for the sake of my sanity, can you people actually look up the Japanese names before you start complaining about how they've been changed?

Question.

Why is the 'fan name' for Serena "Selena" (at least according to the main site)?

Serena is an actual name. More importantly, it's her actual name, according to both pronunciation and NOJ's spelling. And perhaps more importantly still, we already have a Selena, who was a fairly important character, in a localized game - and she is present in this game. Selena is probably the one thing she couldn't be named.

Edited by Iridium

Chrom (Google Chrome anyone?)

Lissa (What's wrong with Liz? It's the shortened version of Elizabeth)

Stahl (It reminds me of Stalin, so I'm sticking with Sol)

Panne (Quieres un poco de mantequilla con eso?)

Cherche (Serge was a powerful name, something to be expected from a Wyvern Rider)

Emmeryn (Wouldn't Emelina flow better?)

Valm (Dunno, something about it makes me cringe)

so you have problems with like

all of them

god you people act as if you have some sort of "rights" with the names

they're not your characters

you don't have the license to change shit

half of the names you've come up with aren't even NoJ official names

so you have problems with like

all of them

god you people act as if you have some sort of "rights" with the names

they're not your characters

you don't have the license to change shit

half of the names you've come up with aren't even NoJ official names

First of all, Mysterious Sign, I typed in the names that I saw the most on the internet which happened to be the fan names. I know that the actual Japanese names have been translated as closely as they could in the official English names with a few being subtly referenced instead of being directly translated (Velvet to Panne, for example). I just got way too used to the fan ones and some reminded me of things other than what they actually were.

Second, Agro, I never said I had rights over their names (or anything Fire Emblem). I was just listing the ones that didn't seem to particularly fit in my mind (in other words, I was used to the fan names).

In short, I'm legitimately sorry if I've offended you two. Really, I'm sorry.

The green represents the french word for ground.(green earth)

The red represents the french word for evening. (red sky)

The katakana for Sol is "ソール" - "so-o ru" (the "u" in "ru" is typically silent).

It could be Soul, Sol, Sort, or any other word with the same pronunciation (yes, the "t" in Sort is silent).

I like to think its "Sol" to match his color.

I also like to think the NoJ names were done by one of their foreign interns. Seriously, how else could you go from "ドニ"(do ni) to "Denis" huh.gif

I see Sol now (although if you're using it as 'earth' for the colours, then the naming theme is gone) and Soiree doesn't match, in my head, for the way I learned French was that it was specifically after sunset.

Also, it really doesn't matter who the names were done by, they would have had to have been cleared with the higher ups. Sol is a fan transliteration of the katakana, it isn't the official name. The official Japanese name is Sort, doesn't matter how silly it is to any of us, just as the official NoJ name for Sumia is Smia. I get being used to the fan names, of course, but ultimately, the fan names are just that, fan names. NoJ's romanisations beat them out easily in canonisity (Don't care it that's not a word, it's cool to say XD) and make the fan names that are different, (Viole, Vake, Sol, Krom and Sairi just as a few examples that are different in both NoJ and NoA translation) ultimately just mistransliterations, much like Aeris was in the original FFVII.

Edited by Wheels

I'm going to ignore everything to say you are bad and evil because Shepherds is the best localization of the entire batch.

EDIT: such hostility is unbecoming of me

Edited by Integrity

Question.

Why is the 'fan name' for Serena "Selena" (at least according to the main site)?

Serena is an actual name. More importantly, it's her actual name, according to both pronunciation and NOJ's spelling. And perhaps more importantly still, we already have a Selena, who was a fairly important character, in a localized game - and she is present in this game. Selena is probably the one thing she couldn't be named.

No reason really.

You have to understand that the NOJ spellings were revealed long after the game was released. Plus the "pronounciation" (if I understand you) doesn't always translate to proper English, or else we'd be talking about Aiku instead of Ike (and yes, people did actually call him Aiku for a while).

Having the same name didn't stop people using the name Callum (I used Cullum for a while before people flayed me), although the boss Callum isn't as important as Selena I'll admit.

or else we'd be talking about Aiku instead of Ike (and yes, people did actually call him Aiku for a while).

I still call myself Aiku in jest sometimes.

Am I the only person who doesn't really care if names show up more than once? I mean there's only so many names that could potentially fit in a pseudo-European context. It wouldn't get me ragin' at Nintendo if two people happened to be name Phil or something, I'd just refer to them in-context (assuming there's usually just one Phil in a game) or tag them by what game they're in.

Granted I'm not saying this because I think anybody's name in particular should or shouldn't be changed. But if there were, like, two Selenas, I'd figure out a way to arrange it so it's clear who I'm talking about. I mean there's a Marth in-game and like two DLC Marths and Marths in four other FEs and people don't have tons of trouble explaining who they're talking about.

I'd wager that more people don't care than do, but FE has trended along not reusing names since I don't know so I guess people assume that they won't if possible.

(note: i couldn't give a shit but serena is an amazing name that should be always used)

But it does make me think of Serene... And they're so different!

Thought you were trying to write Serenes Forest there for a moment...

Then I realized that you were writing "serene," as in calm and graceful. :P

Edit: Or not? The 'S' is capitalized... I'm confused

Edited by fireemblemfan4ever