Sign the Petion to get Westboro Church declared a hate group

redturtle806

You seriously think that WBC is as bad as Scientology. A group that stole secure government papers, that kidnaps former members, that requires its members to pay obscene amounts of money and waive their legal rights, and has a policy of "bury anyone and everyone who looks at us funny with our legal power". Oh yes, picketing funerals is just as bad.

Let me correct myself, I just meant that WBC is a cult. I don't know much about Scientology except for what the South Park episode covered.

I'd rather focus on the Church of Scientology first than this group. WBC may have controversial views, but at least they're not a fucking despicable cult.

I don't see Scientologists protesting funerals of children because the WBC things God punished them because of the faggots in America and the military or some shit.

Have you read or seen The Laramie Project? Just listen to some of the things they said about Matthew Shepard.

A group that stole secure government papers, that kidnaps former members, that requires its members to pay obscene amounts of money and waive their legal rights, and has a policy of "bury anyone and everyone who looks at us funny with our legal power". Oh yes, picketing funerals is just as bad.

Scientology's at least a bit easier to ignore when they don't have you marked. Nobody really sympathizes with them, anyhow. The WBC is immediately detrimental to everyone, though. They promote hatred of minorities and non-religious people among extremists, and they promote hatred of religious people from non-religious people.

These guys would also be significantly easier to take down, too, if the effort had to be made.

Edited by Iridium

They promote hatred of minorities but they take absolutely no actions against others that can be construed as actively harmful. They don't ruin the lives of people they dislike, they just yell to those people that God hates them.

He's right. Scientology is one fucked up religion. They do some pretty ballsy shit and if I had to rate religious groups I'd be afraid to fuck with they'd be pretty far up there. They have money, they have their fingers in a ridiculous number of pies, and they're fairly malevolent on the whole.

Scientology's at least a bit easier to ignore when they don't have you marked. Nobody really sympathizes with them, anyhow. The WBC is immediately detrimental to everyone, though. They promote hatred of minorities and non-religious people among extremists, and they promote hatred of religious people from non-religious people.

Just because it's not actively affecting you doesn't mean it's something to shrug off. The WBC's only really detrimental if you actually give them attention. As shown by the biker gangs, they can easily be ignored or blocked. Try that against Scientology and they'll probably ruin your life with litigation or worse. CoS has several million members and employs extremely brutal tactics against everyone who mentions scientology in a negative manner. It's not a religion, it's a fucking cult, and one that hurts several million people who are being abused by it. For fucks sake, they've been known to kidnap former members. What other religious group in non religious government countries does that? I'm really not sure how you guys can say that simply picketing funerals (however insulting and despicable it may be) is comparable to that.

Edited by Constable Reggie

Oh and turt, btw, I did notice that. I may be being a bit too finnicky in not signing - my apologies if it comes across that way.

Let me correct myself, I just meant that WBC is a cult. I don't know much about Scientology except for what the South Park episode covered.

To me, the WBC doesn't have...conversionary power. If anything, they're more like a vanguard, and a bad example to others. Anou, at one point, linked me to a story relating to the family, and there are some "survivors" who seem to say the leader is particularly hateful within the family as well as without. What might happen when he dies, I dunno.

Scientology, AFAICT, preys on the weak, and I have no idea why it has particular appeal, except that it seems to have been very successful in doing so, and at this point perhaps draws in more ppl as a result. And I think the name probably has a good ring to it.

I'd suggest that the most abused are probably in the minority. It may be (like a pyramid scheme) something that is perpetuated by lower ranking members without adversely affecting them in the most material sense. And it seems many of them go out of their way to be polite and likable when not criticized. Loathe am I to criticize someone, because they're a member of an institution I dislike. But CoS's bad action seems particularly documented. It is, indeed, something like a successful manifestation of something out of the imaginings of the parody-mystics of discordianism. It makes me admire ants -_,-

What other religious group in non religious government countries does that?

I'm pretty sure Christianity, more or less, does, with "the gays," insofar as they apparently have summer camps, that they force 'em to go to, where they try and "deprogram" them from homosexuality. This might be more properly thought of as the evangelical christians (hey, apparently scientologists are also evangelical).

kefka.gifI suppose the parenting aspect makes interference with that tough, as I grant the right to "shape" kids in many other instances, but I don't like that it's tough kefka.gif

Edited by Mouse

• 1 month later...

WBC is like your widowed aunt's yappy chihuahua. makes one hell of a noise with its annoying barking but it's really harmless. it has no bite, no way to do anything worthwhile, and you can just kick it out of the way if you were so inclined.

scientology is like your paranoid neighbor's doberman pinscher. you don't know it's there until it's been set upon you, and by then you're screwed.

or not. i'm horribly bad with analogies.

• 1 month later...