Favourite World

Narga_Rocks

Yeah so I'm stealing this from the strange typing in another topic in FFtF. Sue me. This topic actually means favourite world, and if it is from your favourite game so be it, but it obviously doesn't have to be from it.

Even though this is in "other games", if tellius or something is your favourite world that's cool, too.

Two immediately spring to mind; Sandail of Saga Frontier II and Arcadia of Skies of Arcadia. Both stand out as very imaginative and interesting worlds. I would have to say that of these two I prefer Sandail, but Arcadia isn't very far behind.

I dunno. I'd say Vance's "galactic" setting, which seems to encompass many of his works (though probably not much overlap between them) is pretty amazing no matter where he takes us. Of course, that is really more about Vance himself than the setting. The planets in the Demon Princes novels are probably among my favorite. When I've seen "Old Earth" in these books it is a curiously moving experience indeed to see how he makes use of it.

In the Demon Princes, I'd say that besides Earth, Dar Sai and it's sister world (I believe governed by the Mereen?) are probably my favorites. The Haudal game is one of the more enjoyable narrations of sport I've seen aside from Liebling's boxing essays (admittedly I barely read such things).

Also, the initial world of the Cadwal Chronicles, largely a nature preserve, is pretty damned interesting, and it's kind of depressing to observe the events of the book, IMO.

The Dying Earth setting seems much more an actual..."place-world" with a more obviously shared spirit.

CJ Cherryjh's (might have mispelled) Down Below Station, is not really a "universe" book, and instead focuses primarily on a space station over the course of a fairly extended war. I think this setting is pretty excellent.

Somewhat similar to this, Donaldson's "The Gap" series has a very handy way of expanding its universe, with a strong focus towards expanding the world's locations only as they come into consideration by the characters. Although this universe is set in a world with a sort of "hyperdrive" (super-rapid travel between stars) there is still an incredible feeling of confined action. Even the unvisited locations (such as the station where the humans construct their fleet) have an incredible potency to them.

The Land, from Donaldson, also has a beauty that's conveyed both in language, and in the actions and ways of its people, allies and visitors, as well as an incredible personality - perhaps at times lacking awareness, but a character, that sometimes seems rather realistic and sometimes seems quite idealized, or expressive of concepts or whatever. I'd say that this is one of the best ways I can actually condense why at least the first chronicles are so good (I admit it's been some time since I read the second and third).

I always thought that Leguin's Earthsea world was pretty amazing. The strong pull of the ocean in this world, I thought was pretty cool.

Wolfe is pretty good at making cool worlds in general, even in short stories. But I think one of my favorites was in the Wizard Knight series. I actually thought that was one of his least interesting works, maybe in part because it sort of had a highly structured - and presented - cosmology, tiering of planes, and the character was a earthboy-into-fantasyland type, which I haven't normally seen from Wolfe.

As far as video games...

I think the suikoden world is pretty awesome. Can't really put it any simpler than that. Very sprawling, but Georg's existence makes it feel traversable, and perhaps even linked on the level of individuals. The towns are really pretty cool, especially in II. V's flooded castle is probably one of the best allied bases evereverever, II's is also amazing.

FF8 also has cool cities, garden is cool, etc. And great NPC dialogue :)

Cave Story's floating island is real coolz.

Edited by Mouse

Oh. Also, I'd say that the worlds of the Metroid games tend to be quite interesting. I think the Metroid Prime series did these the best (for me) thanks to the scans adding details and narration of past events, with I probably doing the narration the best and II and III having the most interesting environments.

Just realizing I could've put this in entertainment and included books and movies and tv. Oh well. Mod says this topic, even though it is in other games, can include all that stuff, too. Go WoT!

Edited by Narga_Rocks

The world of Baten Kaitos, where people have wings and all your stuff is carried in magnus (cards).

Yes. The Baten Kaitos world is awesome. To elaborate, all the continents float in midair, and they all have cultures which are unique when compared to each other. The scenery is freaking beautiful, too.

I also think Gensokyou from Touhou Project is pretty awesome. Every named (and several unnamed) character can fly, and major conflicts are decided by bullet hell battles. And almost every inhabitant looks like a cute girl, despite the fact that they're atleast 60+ year old youkai.

Also, the Monster Hunter world. Be a... Hunter in a world filled with Monsters several times your size, and then turn the stuff you carve from them into hats (and weapons, and other equipment). Also, when you lose all your health, you don't die, you just faint, get back sent to camp, and get back up like nothing ever happened. The scenery is pretty cool too.

Yes. The Baten Kaitos world is awesome. To elaborate, all the continents float in midair, and they all have cultures which are unique when compared to each other. The scenery is freaking beautiful, too.

Sounds an awful lot like Arcadia. :Knoll:

Yeah so I'm stealing this from the strange typing in another topic in FFtF. Sue me. This topic actually means favourite world, and if it is from your favourite game so be it, but it obviously doesn't have to be from it.

Even though this is in "other games", if tellius or something is your favourite world that's cool, too.

...New resolution : Don't create new topic so late at night...

So, to elaborate : DQ9 World. It's such a complete world. look at all the places that are completely irrelevant to the gameplay, but add so much to world insertion.

Moreover, I really love the "Ruins" settings. and this world is full of them.

It's somehow for the same reasons I love Kanto, Unova and the FFVI world of Ruins.

Final Fantasy 7. There's a grittiness that FF8, 9, 10, and 12 all lack. And indeed, is lacking in almost all RPGs. Midgar in particular is possibly the greatest city in any video game. Funny how that works out, since really, you don't see much of it. You only visit two out of the eight sectors, and you never see the upper plate. It's just left up to the gamer's imagination. Maybe it's better that way.

I like the world of Mega Man Battle Network, even though I hated the gameplay... Oh so very much. I'd like to live in a futuristic setting with a NAVI and participate in awesome battles. Mega Man ZX is also cool... But it sucks if you don't have access to a Biometal, as it means you're screwed by those who have.

Gensokyo would be great, but the ammount of random nonsense pisses me off.

Final Fantasy 7. There's a grittiness that FF8, 9, 10, and 12 all lack. And indeed, is lacking in almost all RPGs. Midgar in particular is possibly the greatest city in any video game. Funny how that works out, since really, you don't see much of it. You only visit two out of the eight sectors, and you never see the upper plate. It's just left up to the gamer's imagination. Maybe it's better that way.

?

I'm not sure if you are lying for the effect of fun and entertainment, I have a false memory of FF7, or you are just wrong.

To keep it short and sweet, not only is the first mako reactor on the upper plate, but Cloud and Aeris's first meeting is there (well, from the gamer's perspective, anyway, playing FF7 first...). \

I mean, I think so anyway.

Is there a plate above the one that you see in the opening cutscene of the game? Considering we get shots of the president of Shinra and Rufus's offices (I remember Rufus's seeming more cramped, so it might've been a different room, or just a result of explosions), which are at the top of the Shinra building, IIRC, I'm pretty sure there's no plate above that...

omg shinra has a heavenly tier above the skies

we have to go upper the upper

I'd still agree Midgar is maybe the most important, which seems more important than best. I think FF7 could've worked without the upper plate, too. Pretty much the only use of the shinra building was building Sephiroth as an incredibly powerful and dangerous force, and developing the shinra characters themselves a bit. I don't think that any of 'em but the turks, and the guy who controls cait sith, turned out to be that interesting...I figure some people will tell me Rufus is pretty cool, I just don't particularly remember why.

?

I'm not sure if you are lying for the effect of fun and entertainment, I have a false memory of FF7, or you are just wrong.

To keep it short and sweet, not only is the first mako reactor on the upper plate, but Cloud and Aeris's first meeting is there (well, from the gamer's perspective, anyway, playing FF7 first...). \

I guess, but I don't really count the mako reactors or Shinra HQ. It's more in the sense that you never really explore there. I guess there are other points, too, like when Cloud is being chased after the first mako reactor.

The point is more that for such a huge city, you see very little of it, and despite that, it's very effective.

Ever since I was a kid I wanted to live in hyrule, that's one of my favourites.

Also the Lego games world, build whatever the f*** you want.

But if I had to choose one world I'd spend the rest of my life in, it would be the Hoenn region of Pokemon.

I don't have just one, so yeah.

Mushroom Kingdom: Yeah, the Mushroom Kingdom. Iunno why, it's just so fun. That and Yoshi's Island where you can lay around eating fruit all day while hanging out with the Yoshis without a care in the world. Can I have a Feather/Super Leaf/Super Acorn?

F-Zero: Specifically Mute City. Or even Port Town or Green Plant. You can watch some exciting F-Zero races or join in for a chance of honor and stupid amounts of money.

Pokemon world: As for the region? Maybe Sinnoh or Unova. Either way, it would be fun to hang out with/catch Pokemon.

Gensokyo: You know, the setting of the Touhou games. Everyone can use danmaku and fly around. Or they can be lazy and do nothing all day.