Hirondelle

Auto-End and Auto-Cursor  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What combination do you use?

• Auto-End, but not Auto-Cursor
    • Auto-Cursor, but not Auto-End
    • Both Auto-Cursor and Auto-End
    • Neither Auto-Cursor nor Auto-End

I've noticed that these are two gameplay options that seem to be overlooked by many people when playing Fire Emblem.

Basically, Auto-End is having your turn "end" automatically once you've done an action with your last available unit. Auto-Cursor is when your turn begins again, the game's cursor automatically starts on your Lord/main character.

Personally, I don't use either. Thracia was the first FE I played that automatically disables Auto-End, so I eventually defaulted to it when playing the rest of the series. I additionally dislike Auto-Cursor because sometimes, (especially with support grinding in the GBA games) I find it annoying how the game assumes the first unit I want to use every turn is my Lord.

Anyway, how about you all? Hopefully all of you were aware of these two options...XD

i leave autoend on because i'm lazy and i like to know when i'm done moving my units

autocursor is off because generally the last unit i move will be the first unit to move on the next turn (simply due to the way i plan things out)

Yeah, I always turn them off. I don't see the point with Auto-Cursor in particular. It's a lot more convenient when the cursor starts where I left off.

For Auto-End, I guess the point is to allow people to move forward that haven't yet figured out how to end a turn. But otherwise? I think it just kinda takes you off-guard.

I need Auto-end, or else I'll stare at my units all day, wondering where I screwed up, I have added a good few minutes to each of my turns in the SNES games.

I have auto-end on, auto-cursor off. I always have auto-end on because I don't really see outside of the option to escape a Skirmish/Tower in FE8, many reasons to extend your turn past the point you can no longer move any units.

I used to use both until I realized how much of a pain it is when I'm focused on a section in a big map that doesn't include my lord and I have to drag the cursor from the other end of the map. I don't see the point of turning auto-end off though. What are you going to do with no units to move?

IMO, Auto-Cursor is literally the most annoying thing put into Fire Emblem games. I hate it's very existence and always turn it off. Autoend turns is a pretty cool function though, I like that one.

Auto-end on, auto-cursor on. I'm just way too used to it to play any other way, and I like the idea of your main character being the central focus, if that makes any sense.

I need Auto-end, or else I'll stare at my units all day, wondering where I screwed up

This. (FE1 threw me off so much.)

I don't see the point in not having it on. If everyone has moved, everyone has moved; might as well have the turn end. It's handy~

As for auto-cursor, normally off, but it's a bit situational. Early chapters in GBA games I leave it on. But after a few chapters I turn it off and never turn it on again. Though, I have a bad tendency of running away with my cursor to check on faraway enemies, or leaving it in the middle of nowhere. tongue.gif And I somehow fail to remember the "select next unit" button. "WEEEEEEEE~ LET'S GO ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE MAP~ -end turn- .....Aw crap, why did I do that. Facepalm_emote_gif.gif"

As would I...

Anyway, always autoend, never autocursor.

Autoend is just a convenience; there is really no reason to keep your turn going past when no more units can be moved; even if it's to see if you've gotten yourself into trouble, it's not as though disabling autoend really adds to what you can do about it at that point.

As for autocursor, it's just annoying. It's far preferable for me to have the cursor stay where it last was rather than resetting to a preestablished point. Besides, my Lord isn't usually my main force in themself, so it's helpful for the cursor to start where it's needed. In general, it's just less annoying with autocursor off.

Edited by Starlight36

I leave AutoEnd off, and AutoCursor on.

I'm not really sure why I do the former, I guess it's a way for me to be "in control", like I decide when the turn ends, not the game. Plus it's like a game of Chess, I plan my next turns movements, since the enemy tends to move in a predictable manner, and I think about what to do next turn before ending the current turn.

As for the latter I have a sort of "thing" where I have to move the units in the order I lined them up on the character selection screen. Unless I'm in severe trouble, everyone moves in order, starting with the Lord/Leader. It's a bad habit I haven't dropped, but I should since it has forced me to chapter-reset a few times...