Awakening Localized Name Discovery Thread

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arvis, Ced and Forseti kind of bother me, the rest seem fine though. Sety no longer has the name connection with Holsety anymore. =\

Still dunno why they didn't go with Sety -> Set.

At least then he'd still be named after a deity. :/

Edited by Zak Defender of Tinny

Arvis, Ced and Forseti kind of bother me, the rest seem fine though. Sety no longer has the name connection with Holsety anymore. =\

Considering he didn't have to be Levin Lewyn's son, that seems fair doesn't it?

I mean granted he was in FE5... but still, that's like naming Cynthia "Gaiuskid" when her father is, say, Henry.

Still dunno why they didn't go with Sety -> Set.

At least then he'd still be named after a deity. :/

To avoid confusion with FE8's Seth, who is also in this game?

(if it makes you feel any better, Sety -> Set is kind of exactly what they did in FE7)

Raquesis is weird, because Lachesis strikes me as being a fine name. Ced and Arvis are also... eh. Lewyn is almost the same as Levin though I find it strange they'd have a sword with his name but then have it not really refer to the character? But the name itself is fine. Quan also slightly bugs me because it looks Chinese and I don't think that was their intent, so I end up condensing all the syllables together. The rest are as expected and Malice and Legion are great names. Legion is probably the best name they've ever come up with as a replacement name. Ulster and Larcei are fine names to replace some names that 1. were genderflopped if they were going for Irish mythology and 2. were a mess.

To avoid confusion with FE8's Seth, who is also in this game?

(if it makes you feel any better, Sety -> Set is kind of exactly what they did in FE7)

Yeah, but Arthur is easy to confuse with FE8's Artur.

That makes me feel worse because they didn't do so here... :/

Well Artur isn't in this game like he said Seth is in THIS one so. I suppose they felt it was a safer thing to do

Edited by Maverick Hunter Jedi

Arthur being unchanged was a bit unexpected (if very welcome) for that reason, yeah, but unlike the Seth/Sety/Ced clusterfuck, Artur doesn't appear in FE13 so it's significantly less of a concern. In that respect it's kind of like how Orsin sounds dangerously like FE8's Orson, but the latter also doesn't appear here.

On the other hand, maybe it would've been funny if they'd kept Sety (or changed it to Seti or something) so it could be observed just how comfused people really get about this stuff. :P

On the other hand, maybe it would've been funny if they'd kept Sety (or changed it to Seti or something) so it could be observed just how comfused people really get about this stuff. :P

Better yet, make him Seto instead.

And also, I found more from the ending of the DLC chapter that Chrom mentioned Leif's title as "The Sage-Lord Leif" and I think that the Crusaders might be as "Exalted Warriors" when Leif was mentioning to Robin when he was referring to Robin's mark and he saids that there are twelve warriors that saved Judgral (I totally think that they might be them) that when he was recruited.

Edited by King Marth 64

and I think that the Crusaders might be as "Exalted Warriors" when Leif was mentioned to Robin when he was referring to Robin's mark and he saids that there are twelve warriors that saved Judgral that when he was recruited.

I know FE13 has a raging boner for the word "exalted" and all, but you'd think they would have left it as "Holy Warriors" to match FE4's English title. Oh well.

I know FE13 has a raging boner for the word "exalted" and all, but you'd think they would have left it as "Holy Warriors" to match FE4's English title. Oh well.

Well, I wasn't sure if thats what they really called as Exalted Warriors or not? But, this is what I saw when the player recruits Leif that what he told Robin about:

Leif:

So, Robin, was it? That mark on your hand...

Is that the Brand? In my world, the Brand is the mark of agreat bloodline.

Long ago, twelve exalted warriors used the power of the gods to save the world.

Their heirs are born with the Brand and the right to wield their sacred weapons.

I myself lack the Brand, though my elder sister inherited it...

I don't know the significance of yours, but you must bear godlike powers!

(If you choose Yes)

Leif:

I knew it.

I wish I could know what that must feel like...

But no doubt it also comes with its share of burdens. I often ponder what it means that I did not receive the Brand... Perhaps I am not worthy to follow in my father's footsteps? Or was I spared?

...Ah, look at me confiding in a stranger.

Perhaps your godlike power is earning the trust of others.

Let's keep this talk of the Brand to ourselves, yes?

In return, I will fight for you. I will give my all to your cause.

Edited by King Marth 64

Except the Crusaders didn't have an official English title, since FE4 was never localised in the first place...

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Except the Crusaders didn't have an official English title, since FE4 was never localised in the first place...

Perhaps, but the game is explicitly referred to in Spotpass messages pertaining to Awakening as "Genealogy of the Holy War", with no mention of it being tentative or incorrect. It seems like if it were not meant to be official they'd have just called it Seisen no Keifu or something.

That's not even close to what I said, and I'm not sure how it was even open to misinterpretation. My claim was thus: FE13 English material refers to the FE4 game as "Genealogy of the Holy War" (see: the SpotPass notice announcing Tyrfing's distribution), and thus it seemed like a not-unreasonable assumption that, should the Crusaders ever be referred to in FE13's English version (see: the passage we are currently talking about), they would be addressed as the Twelve Holy Warriors, in an effort to match the English title FE13 gives to FE4.

Of course, given NoA's track record with localisations that's not even close to a hard and fast rule, especially given how this time they have a raging boner for referring to anything holy as "exalted", but hey, a man can dream.

Edited by Rhinocerocket

Quoted from the 2/7 SpotPass notice:

"Tyrfing was used by an ancient crusader in the 4th title of the series, Genealogy of the Holy War (Japan only)."

They have actually already referred to the Genealogy characters as crusaders.

Was "exalted warriors" capitalized or not in Leif's dialogue? I beat the stage once but didn't write down the contents, so I forget. If it was capitalized, then it was meant to be a title. If not, it's merely a descriptive phrase.

We should probably all bear in mind that translated terms from past games that don't directly show up in Awakening may well be tentative ones they came up with on the spur of the moment and aren't necessarily locked in stone forever, especially ones from Spotpass notices that are essentially promotional material. A bunch of FE1 characters who got nameddropped in Super Smash Bros Brawl got retranslated for Shadow Dragon, after all, nor did NoA stick with Serlis from their ancient FE7 site in this game's translation.

I'm betting the SpotPass descriptions aren't written by the FE13 localization team at all. It's possible that whoever wrote "Genealogy of the Holy War" and "crusader" were some outsider who decided to use fan names (it's not like NoA staff don't use the internet at all) because they don't have access to the localized version of the game or didn't bother to check.

I don't have the NA game, but I don't think "exalted warriors" would be capitalized, like how "exalt" and "first exalt" didn't get captalized.