Fire Emblem 6: Anniversary

Chocolate Kitty

77 members have voted

1. 1. Read the post on the last page, what's your opinion?

• I LOVE IT!!!!! :D
    • It sounds interesting enough, why not.
    • Meh, idk, no opinion at this point.
    • I'm not really a fan, but I'll see where it goes I guess.
    • I HATE IT!!!!! D:<

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Agro, but also disagree. I dislike the name changes because, quite honestly, the names we use now are what we've used for years and changing it now just to be unique is kind of asinine.

On the other hand, a blanket statement like "all names have to sound like they're from the same region" is also asinine, because characters of different ethnicities?

On the other hand, a blanket statement like "all names have to sound like they're from the same region" is also asinine, because characters of different ethnicities?

It's not really a matter of making it sound like every name is from the same ethnicity. Rutger is German, Ogier is French or Dane depending on how you look at it, Gonzales is hispanic, Lilina is ... not European.

Igurenu, for instance, is born from katakana phonetics. It probably sounds fantastic in Japanese, but it just looks and sounds awful for English readers, who will have an easier time both pronouncing and remembering Igrene or Igraine.

Again, you just have to choose at some point how you want gamers to read your names. I'm sure that if KoT started putting some of the names using Finnish phonetics and harmonies (Iigreiny), people would point out that it's just not a good idea.

i'm not entirely sure why the names matter so much

Because that's how you call your character and the first thing you know about them along with their face sprite. If it didn't matter, Xlztrax would be a fine name for Roy.

Hint: it's not a good name for Roy.

But hey, apparently, it's still a taboo to talk about names here. (If it's an attempt to imitate IntSys on that level, then you guys sure are doing it well. =P)

I assumed names still mattered a little for this project (since you guys actually took the time to change a few) and came to give a few localization tips. Feel free to disregard them if you you don't consider it an issue anymore, whatever. Pretty much all I wanted to say was in my first post.

Edited by Miacis

...was I supposed to be paying attention to the last few posts? I fell asleep.

It's not that it's taboo, I just clearly stated that I don't care and I laugh at these types of arguments because I feel they're a waste of everyone's time.

You can keep going if you want, just know that I'm not going to respond to them.

Updated the sheet with Astor and the rest of the current sprites that I had laying around in my folder.

Edited by Kitty of Time

- Boris, Cathy and Duke are good examples of localization. Louis is a bit of a stretch, but it works. The overall pronunciation and meaning are kept, and it doesn't sound like Japanese.

I like the sentiment, but what's wrong with Bors?

Edited by Furetchen

Oh, because lumi has a knife to my throat call the police the amount of females to males in FE is horribly proportioned most of the time.

FE7 for example has like 13 to 44

lol

fuck man

You're making me wanna sprite her

stop making me want to do work

god dammit

Well, both are horrible examples of what a lack of communication between localization teams can do, so ignoring both of them would have been even better.

I'm not suggesting they're good but it would only make sense to have it be both or neither.

Oh, because lumi has a knife to my throat call the police the amount of females to males in FE is horribly proportioned most of the time.

FE7 for example has like 13 to 44

Which is funny, because I remember reading somewhere that when IS made FE6, they wanted at least one female character of each class, yet there are 7 paladins, and not a single one is female. IDK how true that statement is though, and if you plan on changing that, and I can't tell if the Garret gender change is just a joke or not. And in regards to eliminating any route splits, i'm guessing we'll just go to either ilia or sacae first, and then the other, since they're right next to each other on the map? I'm quite interested in seeing what you do here.

I just looked at the compilation sheet, and all I have to say is PRAISE BUDDHA you're changing those godawful pallettes on some of the mugs. Will they be getting style revamps as well? Or just color revamps?

I like the sentiment, but what's wrong with Bors?

dunno, it always just looked like someone forgot an 'I' to me

lol

fuck man

You're making me wanna sprite her

stop making me want to do work

god dammit

you know you waaaaaaaaaaaaaant to

Which is funny, because I remember reading somewhere that when IS made FE6, they wanted at least one female character of each class, yet there are 7 paladins, and not a single one is female. IDK how true that statement is though, and if you plan on changing that, and I can't tell if the Garret gender change is just a joke or not. And in regards to eliminating any route splits, i'm guessing we'll just go to either ilia or sacae first, and then the other, since they're right next to each other on the map? I'm quite interested in seeing what you do here.

I'm still confused why people keep thinking that I'm removing all route splits. The only one I'm getting rid of as of now is the western isles and re-doing that campaign entirely.

I just looked at the compilation sheet, and all I have to say is PRAISE BUDDHA you're changing those godawful pallettes on some of the mugs. Will they be getting style revamps as well? Or just color revamps?

I'm open to sprite revamps, it's just that no one has really given me any...!

complimation sheet has been updated again

Edited by Kitty of Time

Because that's how you call your character and the first thing you know about them along with their face sprite. If it didn't matter, Xlztrax would be a fine name for Roy.

Hint: it's not a good name for Roy.

1YHAr.png

i'm really not seeing the big difference

Edited by CT075

Do you know anyone named Igrene? Or Thany? Or Percival, Bors, Fa, Rutger, Fir, etc.

I know a Percival, Igrene, Fa, Rutger, Fir, Dieck, Noah, Treck, Lott, Wade, and Tate.

I'd kinda prefer the names to keep references to literature or something, like Ogier, Miledy, Bors, and Lott.

You can keep going if you want, just know that I'm not going to respond to them.

I wasn't expecting for an answer. Just that you at least consider what I say.

Wasn't really expecting it to be met with such disdainful remarks, though. It's kind of hypocritical to openly change names that have been used for several years now, and then pretend it's not important to you. If it really isn't important and you dislike these kinds of debates, then why didn't you stick with the ones people know, instead of trying to be all cool, change a few random names, and then hide away when people tell you it was a bad idea?

At least, the previous translators took the time to do some research before localizing most of the names, instead of just randomly botching some of them.

I'd kinda prefer the names to keep references to literature or something, like Ogier, Miledy, Bors, and Lott.

Oh right, Bors is indeed from Arthurian legend. I guess it would make quite more sense to keep it like that, too.

Edited by Miacis

Eh if you really care that much about names just go into FEditor and change it yourself

Seriously why are they such a big deal it's not like he's selling this

Edited by Thor Odinson