ROM Hacking

I would've posted in the ROM Hacking section, then...

Okay.

How in the world do you hack a ROM?

It seems so... interesting.

Like, making sprites, creating games... and stuff like that.

Another question.

Is it hard? What exactly are you toying with (in the ROM)?

Is it something you easily do, or does it require lots of practice (and knowledge/study)?

If it's easy, then maybe I could try...

No... I think I'd spend too much time on it.

I already spend too much time here in the Forest. #_#

Well, for a junior who's taking 3 AP classes and the SAT in May and June (respectively), that is...

Edited by fireemblemfan4ever

Its difficult and for your schedule likely to time consuming also there is no way to hack the 3ds roms yet at least no tools so its all editing the bytes and even if you manage to change something you wont be able to tell as there is no 3ds emulator

Edited by Corellon Larethian

OOPS~

I meant to post this in the FFTF section...

Stupid me.

Can one of you mods move this thread???

I'm so sorry... for the inconveniences...

sorrysorrysorrysorrysorry

EDIT:

I guess this is why I shouldn't keep multiple tabs open. It's so confusing (sometimes).

EDIT 2:

sorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorry (I needed to apologize again. I hate giving you [moderators] extra work.)

My sincerest apologies. (Seriously.)

I feel so ashamed of myself.

*goes and sulks in a corner*

So now that this is moved...

Can someone answer my question?

Edited by fireemblemfan4ever

How in the world do you hack a ROM?

by screwing around with shit

Is it hard?

not unless you think that having a right vs a wrong way to do things is hard

What exactly are you toying with (in the ROM)?

everything (this includes the game code if you're savvy)

Is it something you easily do, or does it require lots of practice (and knowledge/study)?

the two are not mutually exclusive

Well, for a junior who's taking 3 AP classes and the SAT in May and June (respectively), that is...

weak

Well I've never done hacking of an FE rom.

I think the basic idea is to use your knowledge to find out what clumps of information in the game's code relate to certain kinds of information, and then change it to get a different result which you desire.

Like, if you wanted to make a character's stat different, you just use an editing tool to make the stat vary.

I know how to use emulator tools to "hack" numbers as they change - this is just cheating, though.

I guess people who can read code stuff fine can also figure out more "static" parameters...I mean, I might have worded that wrong, but they would find out from looking where data that stores a weapon's accuracy or might is stored, and change a number, so that the number is up or down. So if you changed a weapon's hit rate, anyone carrying that variety of weapon would have a more or less accurate one.

Whether it would change "instances" of a weapon (like, an iron sword someone starts with or carries when they join, as opposed to iron weapons made thereafter) I'm not entirely sure. But as I think you can guess, I'm firing pot shots now anyway.

So with FE, I believe there is actually a basic tool that allows you to modify stuff in the romhacking section (for FE7 only?). That'd presumably be amateur stuff though, like I mentioned above. In terms of changing face sprites or music, adding in triggers or events (I say events in part because I don't know what they are but I've seen people mention them as difficulties) or dialogue, changing maps, changing chapter sequences, etc., I got no clue!

I can't tell if this is a serious thread or a joking thread. By all appearances it looks serious, yet you want it in FFTF?

I'm lost.

It's serious.

Just not serious, IMO, to be put anywhere else...

by screwing around with shit

not unless you think that having a right vs a wrong way to do things is hard

everything (this includes the game code if you're savvy)

the two are not mutually exclusive

weak

That was very... informative???

Eh... yeah... three isn't that much...

I took one last year, though...

And I'll be taking, like, 5 next year.

Of course, there are people who take more AP exams, but...

9 or 10 total is more than enough for me. o_O

Well I've never done hacking of an FE rom.

I think the basic idea is to use your knowledge to find out what clumps of information in the game's code relate to certain kinds of information, and then change it to get a different result which you desire.

Like, if you wanted to make a character's stat different, you just use an editing tool to make the stat vary.

I know how to use emulator tools to "hack" numbers as they change - this is just cheating, though.

I guess people who can read code stuff fine can also figure out more "static" parameters...I mean, I might have worded that wrong, but they would find out from looking where data that stores a weapon's accuracy or might is stored, and change a number, so that the number is up or down. So if you changed a weapon's hit rate, anyone carrying that variety of weapon would have a more or less accurate one.

Whether it would change "instances" of a weapon (like, an iron sword someone starts with or carries when they join, as opposed to iron weapons made thereafter) I'm not entirely sure. But as I think you can guess, I'm firing pot shots now anyway.

So with FE, I believe there is actually a basic tool that allows you to modify stuff in the romhacking section (for FE7 only?). That'd presumably be amateur stuff though, like I mentioned above. In terms of changing face sprites or music, adding in triggers or events (I say events in part because I don't know what they are but I've seen people mention them as difficulties) or dialogue, changing maps, changing chapter sequences, etc., I got no clue!

It sounds hard.

Too hard...

I don't think I'll ever pick that up...

Phew...

Yet people hack those games for fun.

Wow.

I should throw in a plug

No.

There's plenty of resources to get you started on FE hacking, and it's not certainly not difficult, but it will take a while to confidently build up the knowledge you need to make a fully-fledged hack. It depends on the sort of thing you want to do as well: if you want to replace graphics, you need to be decent at art; if you want to make a good story, you need to be a good writer; if you want to replace music, you need to have knowledge of music theory. It's more than just changing code here and there, but that's certainly a start.

It's a great creative outlet because it lets you do so much--for instance, I'm a musician and also enjoy creative writing, but my uni doesn't have any music programs at all, so hacking lets me do stuff that I like and can't do anywhere else.

i'm a freshman

if i can do this shit with minor effort you should be able to sleep through it

edit:

agro there's a difference between "hacking a ROM" (what i do) and "making a ROMhack" (what you do)

Edited by CT075