What's your favorite and least favorite lord's promotion?

MarckCaesar

63 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite lord promotion.

• Fighter to Hero (Alm)
    • Priestess to Princess (Celica)
    • Junior Lord to Knight Lord (Seliph)
    • Lord to Prince (Leif)
    • Lord to Master Lord (Roy)
    • Lord to Blade Lord (Lyn)
    • Lord to Knight Lord (Eliwood)
    • Lord to Great Lord (Hector)
    • Lord to Great Lord (Eirika)
    • Lord to Great Lord (Ephraim)
    • Ranger to Lord (Ike)
    • Light Mage To Light Sage (Micaiah)
    • Hero to Vanguard (Ike)
    • Light Sage to Light Priestess (Micaiah)
    • Lord to Great Lord (Chrom)
    • Lord to Great Lord (Lucina)
    • Knight Lord to Lord (Runan)
    • Bow Hero to Hide Hunter (Holmes)
  2. 2. Least favorite promotion.

• Fighter to Hero (Alm)
    • Priestess to Princess (Celica)
    • Junior Lord to Knight Lord (Seliph)
    • Lord to Prince (Leif)
    • Lord to Master Lord (Roy)
    • Lord to Blade Lord (Lyn)
    • Lord to Knight Lord (Eliwood)
    • Lord to Great Lord (Hector)
    • Lord to Great Lord (Eirika)
    • Lord to Great Lord (Ephraim)
    • Ranger to Lord (Ike)
    • Light Mage To Light Sage (Micaiah)
    • Hero to Vanguard (Ike)
    • Light Sage to Light Priestess (Micaiah)
    • Lord to Great Lord (Chrom)
    • Lord to Great Lord (Lucina)
    • Knight Lord to Lord (Runan)
    • Bow Hero to Hide Hunter (Holmes)

Damn, this poll is long.

My favourite one is Alm's because I frigging love bows and bows are awesome in Gaiden (and Gaiden needs some loveunsure.gif). My least favourite one is Leif's, he's my favourite lord but there is nothing special about his promotion and his promotion gains suck. Hard.

About fixing it I would give him staffs (Because of Ethlin) and boost his magic a bit or give him a personal staff, or maybe lances (because of Cuan), being able to use lances indoors would've been cool.

Edited by MarckCaesar

Gahhhh, I love most of these. It's hard to choose. I guess Chrom since he doesn't have to wait to promote (that's a big thing for me since I love to use my lords in combat).

Leaf's promotion is very underwhelming, but at least it's at a reasonable time. Roy promotes three or four chapters before his game ends. You have to drag his mediocre to bad unpromoted butt to the throne for almost 90 percent of the game. Unforgivable!

Edited by Pikachu

Favorite: Eliwood's promotion and Chrom's promotion were pretty much tied for me, because they both get a good new weapon type, and the promotion bonuses are nice. Eliwood's got him a horse though, and Chrom's got him two really good skills. Eliwood's was kinda late though in his mode (not so much if you use the first one in Hector's mode), and Chrom's could be done as soon as you got a Master Seal, which the earliest guaranteed one was at Ch.8 I think. So Chrom does have a bit more going for him, but this is a poll on most and least favorite ones, so I chose Eliwood in the end because that horse helps him quite a bit.

Least: Leaf's promotion due to it being really bleh, and very little to him, besides more levels. I'd fix it in that he gains more stats from it, and he gets some kind of cool skill from it. I do like how he still gets EXP like an unpromoted unit though (if I remember correctly, but I may be wrong though).

Seliph best promotion. The fucker gets a horse as early as chapter 7 if you want him to, and he can even get off that horse if you promote him in 7 just for the desert.

Roy worst promotion. Leif's at least comes at a decent time that lets him actually level more. Roy's is just ass and he doesn't even get a secondary or a horse to make up for the terrible timing of it, in a game where enemies are actually decently competent.

Seliph best promotion. The fucker gets a horse as early as chapter 7 if you want him to, and he can even get off that horse if you promote him in 7 just for the desert.

Roy worst promotion. Leif's at least comes at a decent time that lets him actually level more. Roy's is just ass and he doesn't even get a secondary or a horse to make up for the terrible timing of it, in a game where enemies are actually decently competent.

Pretty much what I was thinking for both. Also, even though Roy gets a cool sword, it's not like he'll do much with it since he sucks.

At least the final chapter is so laughably easy even Roy can be of use.

Edited by ZMesu

Who the hell are Runan and Holmes?

The Lords in Tearring Saga

This for both. Seliph can promote early and kick more ass

Roy's Promotion is so late.

Edited by Ice Sage

I voted Lyn because I thought she'd need some love, but then I saw she already had 3 votes. Oh well, I still liked using bows on her in a chokepoint. Not as good as magic or hand axes where everything dies, but killing everything but 1 enemy (the adjacent one) isn't bad when you face a group of mages and bowmen. Plus anything to keep growing her speed. I think I promote her before Eliwood.

But yeah, Seliph's is the best.

I like how FE9 Ike's promotion was literally, you know, a promotion in the context of the story, and how his battlefield animations changed, IMO subtly but much for the better. Then again, I also like the promoted classes that are all called Great Lords, especially Hector's. (Eliwood gets a horse and starts calling himself a Knight Lord, because he's a knight and a lord you see, okay, that's fair. Lyn gets neater animations, okay yeah that makes enough sense to call her a Blade Lord, she is indeed pretty handy with it. Hector? He just throws on some slightly more badass armor and starts calling himself GREAT, fuck yeah)

There's not really any lord promotion I haven't liked that much of those from the games I've played, though IIRC Micaiah's was the least convenient, at least for me personally, in gameplay terms [though come to think of it, I forget which one). If I'd gotten all the way through FE6, I'd probably be comfortable saying Roy's, but I feel like I'd need to experience something that silly-sounding myself to truly grasp its significance.

Edited by Rehab

Best: Ike's Hero -> Vanguard, because Axes.

Worst: Micaiah's Light Sage -> Light Priestess, because everyone else in my team is 10+ levels higher at this point (for the most part)...

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I just wish there were more multiple choice. I probably would've voted Ike, Hector, Chrom, Lucina, and Seliph as well for most favorite.

But as least favorite goes. It's Roy. No contest. I mean, why should I wait until when the game's nearly over for a promoted unit that's essentially an SM without the extra crit or the speed or a hero without the axes? I mean, come on! At least Micaiah had something to give while being a slightly better version of the Saint class.

Edited by Little Al

I voted Alm for best. Lyn could learn a few things from this guy.

Leaf's promotion is easily the worst. He promotes late and gets really bad promotion gains. At least Roy gets an exclusive new weapon and fairly good promotion gains.

Marth wins worst promotion by default, since he can't. And it sure would be nice to in Shadow Dragon. Besides him, POR Ike wins worst. Not being promoted during Day Breaks absolutely stinks, especially with toting Leanne around and the Black Knight approaching in a few chapters. RD Micaiah's last promotion was absolutely terrible as well, as going to the Tower of Guidance with a Level 1 3rd tier, when most much higher by then, only makes her an even bigger target.

I'd fix them both by letting them happen earlier.

Chrom easily wins best promotion because he can promote at any time. It was fantastic not having to wait for a generally cheesy storyline event to make the Main character stop pulling down the team - instead he continues to be a great unit no matter when he caps.

Edited by Maria's Bro

IMO, Chrom and Lucina should really not be differentiated because it's literally the exact same thing except Chrom can theoretically do it earlier. I suppose the same logic can be applied to Lyn/Hector (or Lyn/Eliwood in HM) and Eirika/Ephraim. In any case, Chrom/Lucina win in my book because they just need to use a master seal at 10 like any other class. It just feels weird promoting my lord when everyone has been promoted for a while, though FE9 pulled that off the best out of the storyline promotions timing wise.

The worst is easily Roy, since the gains aren't that great, he has like four chapters to enjoy it, and his freaking battle sprites don't even change unless you use the Binding Blade.

Edited by The Batter

As bad as Roy's is, it's at least okay. Leif gets, like... basically nothing out of his. +1 to all combat stats, no CON, no MOV, no new weapons, no new ranks. At least Roy gets a gaggle of stats, better caps (admittedly not by much), and +3 free Sword ranks guaranteeing he's maxed out if he wasn't already. And he gets a cool sword. Sure, the game's basically over, but it's still a better promotion.

Seliph wins the best promotion though. Can't beat getting a horse in FE4. Others may have better combat performance effects, but... FE4. Horse.

Seliph is the best in pure gameplay terms. He can promote at any time and gain a horse in promotion. It's hard to makes cooler (Though Leaf have the absolute best promotion in FE4. Why didn't you made it become a MasterKnight in FE5 ?!)

I thought about chosing Cellica for a second, but then realiezed that she already have an awesome class from the start. Her promotion gain add just some more levels.

Worst... I'd say Roy... Come on ! You could have at least given him a new animation. I think Leaf have the exact same problem. Cellica is the only one who can get awy with this kind of cheap tactics. So Roy and Leaf are tied for the title. Cellica technically count as well, but she is already great as she is, so she doesn't really needs more.

Favorite: Chrom and Lucina's promotions, as they can promote any time.

Least favorite: Roy's promotion - it's just too little, too late, and by the time he promotes, he's outclassed by pretty much everone else you've been using, even with his awesome sword. And as his awesome sword has only 20 uses, it's not something you could spam willy-nilly.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Ike from Ranger to Lord as it was a very good turning point of the story. Ike also adapts his fathers style a bit more in the stance which is actually important later in the fight with the BK.

Least favorite Chrom. There is no story reason for his promotion. You can just do it whenever, which makes him seem like an average joe of your team rather then the main hero of a fire emblem. There is no build up, heck even FE7 had the Heaven Seals with their mystical power and such.

Edit: Before you jump on me and say "Why not Seliph then!?" it's because he has the whole "Must avenge my father and all of Gen 1 build up for him already" silly? Perhaps but it makes sense to me

Edited by Jedi

I loved Eirika's promotion, but for some reason I hate Ephraims. 8U I never promoted Ephraim, he stayed at level 20 normal Lord for the rest of his life.

Best: Ike's Hero -> Vanguard, because Axes.

Even though Ike already has Ragnell?

On topic, I voted Chrom as my most favorite because he can promote at any time, although that's not fair to Lucina.

I voted Roy as my least favorite because his promotion comes so late, although that's overly generous to Micaiah.

On reflection, I guess it's not that unusual for the Lords to have only a few chapters to enjoy their promotions; Roy and Micaiah only get four and five respectively, but Eliwood only gets six in his tale, Hector gets seven in his tale, and Eirika and Ephraim get six if you don't count skirmishes, Valni, or Lagdou. Maybe I'm being overly harsh on Roy and Micaiah.

Note that I know absolutely nothing about Leif's promotion, so I can't make an informed opinion about it.

Edited by Paper Jam

Favorite promotions are Chrom and Lucina's promotions since I can promote them anytime without having to wait for a storyline event.

Least is Micaiah's because I'm rushing to level her up for decent stats upon promotion at the end of part 1.

Even though Ike already has Ragnell?

On topic, I voted Chrom as my most favorite because he can promote at any time, although that's not fair to Lucina.

I voted Roy as my least favorite because his promotion comes so late, although that's overly generous to Micaiah.

On reflection, I guess it's not that unusual for the Lords to have only a few chapters to enjoy their promotions; Roy and Micaiah only get four and five respectively, but Eliwood only gets six in his tale, Hector gets seven in his tale, and Eirika and Ephraim get six if you don't count skirmishes, Valni, or Lagdou. Maybe I'm being overly harsh on Roy and Micaiah.

Note that I know absolutely nothing about Leif's promotion, so I can't make an informed opinion about it.

I'd completely forgotten about that. imo I guess it just seems worse for Roy because he doesn't have much going for him statistically and the enemies are stronger in his game. Micaiah is eternally doubled and 2hko'd or 1hko'd (sometimes doubled AND 1hko'd) but at least she gets physic upon her first promotion so she doesn't have to be a frontliner. She's mostly a liability before that but she does have her niche in combat. The other ones mentioned all have decent to good combat before they promote. Roy is pretty decent at first but by the time his promotion comes his glory days are long gone (if they even existed at all). Sword of Seals is amazing, but it only has 20 uses so it's not something he can spam.

FE5 promotion gains in general didn't really seem that spectacular to me (unless it's a magical unit promoting, sage bonuses are insane <3) so Leaf's didn't seem so bad in comparison.

Plus there's scrolls and the lower cap ceiling. The lack of move and build kinda hurts though.

How could I forget Celice too? D:

He doesn't need to wait to promote either. On top of that he doesn't need a promotion item, plus he gets a horse in a game where horse=life.

Changing my vote!

Marth wins worst promotion by default, since he can't. And it sure would be nice to in Shadow Dragon.

Marth actually has promotion

Its just called he take every attack in the game by being around and can't be attacked at close range.

Best Promo bonus ever

Best: Seliph

Worst: Leif

I loved Leif's Scroll enchanced growth when nobody needs them but.... yeah

FE5 promotion gains in general didn't really seem that spectacular to me (unless it's a magical unit promoting, sage bonuses are insane <3) so Leaf's didn't seem so bad in comparison.

How could you forget the epicness that is warrior promo gains?

But yeah Leaf's promotion gains aren't that big an issue since he's easily scroll-abusable by that point.

Edited by Constable Reggie