What's more important in a unit for you? stat growth or base stats?

Gold Vanguard

84 members have voted

1. 1. What determines it?

• Stat growth. It's fine that you start off kinda slow. As long as you turn great then i'm ok.
    • Bases. I don't mine that your growths suck ass, look at them base stats! You definitely have a spot on the team!
    • I choose who I want to choose. Neither of these two options determine who's on my team. Good day sire.
    • I like a little bit of both, problem?

It depends on what part of the game they come, but I said bases, just because units like Pent don't need stat ups to kick ass.

I prefer to have lower bases earlier on, but if you're giving me someone like Nino, Ewan, etc. later in the game, chances are I'll neglect them.

Eh, it's kinda in between both and neither. Both because I like characters who have a mix of at least decent bases and growths, but neither because I like to use characters like Gordin, Roshea, Wolt, etc. So, I guess the neither option is the one I'll go with. There should probably be a 'mixed' option though.

I usually prefer bases units. But I will welcome with open hands early enough units with nice growths and only decent bases (like Fe12 Ryan/Luke/Cecille)

Edited by CordeliaxFrederick

I generally prefer units with higher growths, because with a bit of work they'll be helpful for the rest of the game (all you really need to do is get them up to speed and then you can just use them like a regular unit and they'll keep up on their own), whereas many units with good bases have comparatively low growths and will fall behind in the end. Of course, good growths AND good bases in the same unit are always lovely.

It's all dem growths for me.

I really like being able to use units who start out low-leveled and make them fantastic - bases really don't mean much to me if I like I character. I'm sure no one was surprised by me saying that.

The fact that they can grow into a beast is what I really like. I am biased towards low-level characters and hardly ever use pre-promotes (only in Awakening because of Second Seals), which is still a new feeling for me because I haven't had the chance to watch them to grow. It feels wrong to use them over the units I've babied, so I don't.

Edit: I just saw the 'I choose who I want' option, which is really the one I'm looking for. :/ I usually units who I like, and that's pretty much it - regardless of how 'good' they are.

Edited by Maria's Bro

Bases

Unless you have an easy-ass way to grow absymally fast otherwise I kinda hate babying

Most of the units with good growths I use other than lords also have pretty good bases as well so :B

I'm willing to be more lenient on bases earlygame than midgame/lategame though, like if you can contribute at a fairly consistent rate without me having to spend extra effort to feed you kills you're probably good

I will override that if I /really/ like the character in terms of personality and even then it depends on the difficulty like I'll always use Malice in Hard no matter what but Lunatic/+ yeah no

also reclassing to Sniper and shards is a thing in FE12 so, training anyone on Hard is piss easy if you aren't doing efficiency as long as they can instapromote

Edited by Thor Odinson

Depends when I recruit them. I usually won't use a character with bad base stats and good growths if I get them after the half way point of the game, and vice versa.

Edited by Zelos

Neither: only portrait matters.

Har. This is an aspect that i do not ignore. :P:

I like a mix of both more or less. If a guy has good bases but he doesnt grow very well and ends up not being able to stay consistent with the rest of my team as they grow, hes getting benched after a while. (Example: Frederick from FE13, FE6 Marcus)

If a guy has good bases and decent growths and can keep up with the team, he stays. (Examples: Pent, FE7 Marcus, Titania, Seth, Saleh)

If a guy has some low bases but grows hella good but has a reasonable amount of time to grow, he stays. (Examples: A lot of units. Florina, Tana, Gaius, just about any mid tier unit.)

If a guy has low ass bases but super amazing growths but joins hella late, i will not regularly use that unit. Maybe once or twice. (Examples: Nino, Ewan, Tormod)

If a guy is all the above but joins early enough to make use of that with some love, ill use em. (Prime Example: Donnel)

If a guy has mediocre bases and doesnt have the greatest of growths but can still be viable with some tender loving care, but a very attractive character design, they will be on my team no matter what.

So yeah.

Neither: only portrait matters.

This for me, although sometimes a cool battle animation can sell me, like the female Snipers in FE11.

Units with high base stats and low growths generally aren't worth the time to train later, as they usually fall behind. A classic case there.

I also dislike units with great growths, but bad base stats, because they're usually not worth the time training, with the exceptions of Nino and anybody in the Sacred Stones.

So yeah, I do prefer to have a good mix.

I usually used a character that I liked, so both does not matter much

In general, it depend on when they come, so a mix of both is great.

Besides not everyone can do 0% growth run

OTOH if by "base stats" you mean everything the character have(and by everything, i mean EVERYTHING), then i choose Base stats.

For example, look at Sheeda's growth rate in FE11. Now look at how badly she raped the game.

Edited by JSND

I tend to enjoy units on the growth extreme end of the spectrum than I do ones on the bases extreme, like how I unironically use Rolf in fe9, all the trainees in fe8, and Nino in fe7, all as much as possible-wait what the hell Shinon has good growths in fe9 too?

haha I was going to say "but if the good base-d units also have good growths they may be hard for me to ignore"

and now that

I'm a fickle player, is the answer, I think

I'm going to be perfectly honest here, while I lean more towards growths(due to my liking of shiny green numbers), I think that both are equally important. And here's why: Units with good bases(for the point in the game they join)will inevitably fall behind later on if their growths aren't up to scratch(this depends on the game in question.) Likewise, units with high growths simply CAN NOT catch up in an efficient timeframe if their bases are sub-par.

In retrospect, this is what draws me to units like Raven and Rutger: Units that start out great and STAY that way throughout the rest of the game. It helps too that the examples I used join early.

Bases, a unit with good bases is always going to be useful at the very least for the chapter they join and a couple afterwards. Units with good growths could range from anywhere from being well enough that they can grow or so bad they have no real opportunity to be useful, or in short the worst possible unit with good bases can't ever be useless.

On the other hand a unit with good growths could include:

1)Good Growths but doesn't even make up for the low stats they start with(See Wendy).

2)Starts so weak they can't even reliably damage/hit enemies, very little EXP gain

Edited by arvilino

This for me, although sometimes a cool battle animation can sell me, like the female Snipers in FE11.

The animation is indeed one of the main factor of choice. Why do you think I always use Lilina ?

It depends when they appears, and obviously what levels they are.

For early game unit, it's growth all the way, because they actually have a chance to grow...

Base weapons ranks is also pretty important. That's the reason, I'll use Pent and Geitz : They already can use the best weapons without problems.