What well-known stuff (if any) originated in the town/city you're from?

Anacybele

And stupid-high cost of living, and gigantic roaches, and having two seasons (tourist season and non-tourist season), and Spam (the meat), and someplace where Asians dominate the census. Oh, and did I mention crowded beaches and roaches?

A co-worker who recently moved from Hawaii said that fluency in Japanese is valuable to employers, a lot like Spanish over here.

I wish that I could switch situations with foreigners that speak Spanish to those with Japanese. I only know the barest essentials of Spanish so when problems arise in communication it takes forever to get things done.

I COULD tell you guys of two awesome thing in my hometown ... but that would be pretty much the equivalent of telling people where I live. So I can't say.

No matter where you hide I shall find you Sangyul. :drool:

So uh, Maesteg... *Scours Wikipedia*

Lots of iron... coal... That band "Funeral for a Friend"... A number of notable football and rugby players including J.J. Williams... And ITV weather presenter Sian Lloyd.

Not bad for a town with a population of a mere 20,000.

If we were to broaden the horizon to all of Wales (pop. 3 million), Tom Jones, who hails from Pontypridd, would be top of my list.

Ohh.. does Statue of Liberty count? Granted it was a gift from France to the US as a country, but...still, it's in NYC. >.> and the old World Trade Center? Though it's of no more now...

Your state is famous for being paradise. ;_; I want to go to Hawaii. The water here is freezing. Anywhere north of San Diego is miserable. /end Norcal rant

Aw c'mon, NorCal isn't that frigid...

The 1991 movie Rush was based on a true story in my hometown (Tyler Texas).

Rush-1991.jpg

Basically the police department made a "secret" police drug force that was free to use hard drugs like meth and herion and also blackmail people in order to make arrests. The whole thing ended up with a bunch of missing people whose bodies were never found... so it's safe to say I did not enjoy dealing with the police where I was from. Also there was a book written about it, but it was banned and I didn't even know about till a friend showed me the fucking wikileaks page. https://wikileaks.org/wiki/Smith_County_Justice

Also on a much lighter note, we're also known for roses.

DC has a lot going on, but given that I don't live *in* DC, I'll go with two game-related ones I know.

Epic Games, originally Epic Megagames, started out in Rockville. I actually recall having a game on my dad's computer that ran on DOS when I was very little.

Similarly, I am very close to Bethesda Softworks / Bethsoft, and one of my sister's high school friends works there.

Toronto, Canada. Lot of stuff, be honest. Many movies (including Catch Me If You Can) have been shot on the streets and we hold one of the biggest film festivals around the globe yearly (TIFF is really only eclipsed by the Cannes Film Festival). CN Tower used to be the father of all towers for the longest time too.

Holon, Israel... I'll get back to you folks on this one. It's a suburb of Tel Aviv though?

Try boogie boarding at Santa Cruz in April. Or even July. You need a wetsuit. ;=;

I've worn a wetsuit while surfing in Maui during August :s

and maybe I'm just weird, most of the Bay Area's weather for a good deal of the year--mid-50s, windy, overcast--is my cup of tea. Tons of people would kill for our weather, anyway.

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

Try boogie boarding at Santa Cruz in April. Or even July. You need a wetsuit. ;=;

I got up and it was 26 degrees (or -3) earlier this week. With snow on the ground. Some of the ski resorts are open through June.

We're famous for most of the Mormon stuff out there, although Mormonism originally came from New York. That's the biggest thing.

And stupid-high cost of living, and gigantic roaches, and having two seasons (tourist season and non-tourist season), and Spam (the meat), and someplace where Asians dominate the census. Oh, and did I mention crowded beaches and roaches?

hey what's that supposed to mean :dry:

anyway where I live.....I guess J.J. Watt is here too?

Hawaii is like 50% Asian or something

that part being put in with the high cost of living and roaches made it seem like it was somehow a bad thing there were so many Asians

probably wasn't her intent, but it came off that way

Only thing that came from the city I'm from worth mentioning is Steve Prefontaine. For those that don't know who he is he's a runner that went to the Olympics and had some crap that had to do with the early days of Nike http://nikeinc.com/pages/history-heritage

that part being put in with the high cost of living and roaches made it seem like it was somehow a bad thing there were so many Asians

probably wasn't her intent, but it came off that way

Depending on the demographic, it can be seen as a bad thing. Racism isn't dead!