Why Do Words That Start With "Man" Sound So Wrong and Messed Up?

Randoman

Why do words that start with "man" sound so wrong and messed up?

I don't want to get into examples that are too inappropriate (even though those ones are the ones that are perfect examples to my question), but manchild, mancub (from the Jungle Book), and Manbat (a villain from the Batman series) are some examples that come to mind.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh... If you really want me to point out some more examples:

Tart, thong, crush, butter, boob.

So, I'm familiar with the 3rd and 5th, but what's with the rest? The 1st and 4th I've never heard of, and why is the second even a word? Isn't a thong a term for the type of underwear/swimsuit bottom for either gender? (or a type of footwear) Sure, it's made a bit differently, but why would it need the man- prefix?

Edited by Narga_Rocks

So, I'm familiar with the 3rd and 5th, but what's with the rest? The 1st and 4th I've never heard of, and why is the second even a word? Isn't a thong a term for the type of underwear/swimsuit bottom for either gender? (or a type of footwear) Sure, it's made a bit differently, but why would it need the man- prefix?

I have a feeling I'm going to get in trouble for explaining this, even if it is a mod asking.

Let's just say that tart has a certain slang meaning, and that it usually refers to a woman.

As for the butter example, I can't really find any sort of subtle explanation to it. It's that inappropriate. Let's just say it refers to one of the "ingredients of life."

And you got the manthong down. Sheesh, that sentence sounds wrong. Anyways, thongs are associated with women for whatever reason, so they use manthong to show that the thong is specifically for men (like the kind of outfit that sumo wrestlers wear).

The first thing my World History teacher said when we were discussing mandates was that a mandate is not when two men are on a date.

I will never think of the word mandate the same anymore.

Because you are putting the word 'man' with a word you would normally associate with women. And that grosses you the fuck out because it's unnatural and man boobs are made of fat which is disgusting.

Why do words that start with "man" sound so wrong and messed up?

I don't want to get into examples that are too inappropriate (even though those ones are the ones that are perfect examples to my question), but manchild, mancub (from the Jungle Book), and Manbat (a villain from the Batman series) are some examples that come to mind.

It only seems messed up when its catenated with another word. Man + Bat or Man + Cub. Words like mandrake or manakete are not as obvious to me and don't seem screwy. Although, I bet I only think they are messed up because I get a little ticked at obvious examples of patriarchy.